120V Smoke Detectors + ELK

opie

I have an ELK install for a customer that had the Electrician run 120V lines for the smoke detectors and really wants to make use of this investment. He also wants them monitored by the ELK panel.

I know there are 120V models that have relays but I am curious what models others have used and pros/cons to doing it this way.

Two detectors I am looking at are the System Sensor 100 series w/ bases that contain relays, and the ESL 320A/320ACC series.

Any others I should look at?

Thanks

I believe in most areas 120V smokes are required by code, so I do not really look at that as an 'investment', but more of a requirement. Depending on the device and internal vs external detector, the relay may not work during a power outage. IMHO, putting in dedicated 12V smokes and heat detectors into the panel are an 'investment' and should be used. I always leave 120V ones as they are and just add the 12V ones, sometimes right near an existing one. I believe they are higher quality detectors and they work properly in power outages.

Steve said:
I believe in most areas 120V smokes are required by code, so I do not really look at that as an 'investment', but more of a requirement. Depending on the device and internal vs external detector, the relay may not work during a power outage.
In this area, the requirement is that the smoke dectors be powered by the house's electrical system and have a battery back-up. Since the alarm panel is powered by the house's electrical system this meets requirement #1 and the alarm panel's battery back-up meets requirement #2. As I understand it, this is based on NFPA 72. Option #2 is to have 120V detectors powered directly by the mains with individual battery back-up.

See more info here.

I agree 100% that the Low Voltage line of detectors are better and have many more features. Maybe I should just push harder for the LV detectors but I also want to try to meet my client's needs.

Spanky @ Nov 13 2006 said:
Ever considered wireless smokes like the GE series. They work very good.

Sorry, I should have specified this is new construction so I have to meet the wired requirements.

The System Sensor bases I am considering have relays for Alarm and Supervision so that should cover power failure issues I think. Take a look at these bases to see if I read it right. The diagram to hook these up is below.

Seems like thses might work???

Attachments

• smoke_base.jpg
    smoke_base.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 48
I use the ESL 350 series. 6 350's and 1 350cx wired in tandem. The 350cx has the relay and was conveniently located next to my equipment room. It is tied into an Elk M1 zone.

Back