120VAC Smokes in New Construction

It's purely for redundancy. If I detect an alarm, I simply check to see if it's coming from any of the CC's. If not, then the trigger alarm would have to be the CX. So again, I'll know where the fire is. But if I'm not at home, then this way I have some redundancy because otherwise, being CC's, they're almost a single-point failure as far as the Elk detecting anything. But with the CX, then as long as the tandem line works, the Elk will still get notified.

Mixing the two types gives me the benefits of both. Maybe a little overkill, but smoke alarms is a good place for that.

After a lot of consideration, what I did was have a standard 120v/bb fire alarm system installed. Of course, they use the cheapest detectors which are ionization type.

I then supplemented the system with low voltage (ademco 5192sd) photoelectric type detectors. I installed a 5192 at the opposite end of the 2nd floor hall from the hardwired. I installed 4 more 5192 on the 1st floor (only 1 smoke required by code as no sleeping on the 1st floor; I added detection in the laundry room, den, living room and 1st floor hall)

I put another 5192 in the basement and a 135d fixed heat in the boiler room.

In the end, I had a) no problems with the inspector :) a redundant life safety system and c) photoelectric and ionization type detection.

If you haven't see it already, try googling for "Aquarium Test" to see the difference between photoelectric and ionization type detectors.

Tim

Back