35a00 UPB switch repair

guho

Hello, I have a UPB switch in my house which can be controlled via UPB perfectly but the switch itself is at times unresponsive. I have read about switch contacts failing. Are these contacts easy to repair? While I still have a spare, I would hate to just throw away this switch if all it is is the local contacts on the switch itself. Type: HAI 35a00-1cfl 600W UPB. Thanks.

I have not taken apart an HAI UPB switch. IE: removing the back of the switch.

Are you saying that you do not hear the spring contacts closing when toggling the switch.  Here have had to clean them when they get clogged with dust using compressed air.  I utilize SA switches and the faces all pop off.  I have never had an HAI / PCS / SA UPB switch contacts fail to date.

guho said:
Hello, I have a UPB switch in my house which can be controlled via UPB perfectly but the switch itself is at times unresponsive. I have read about switch contacts failing. Are these contacts easy to repair? While I still have a spare, I would hate to just throw away this switch if all it is is the local contacts on the switch itself. Type: HAI 35a00-1cfl 600W UPB. Thanks.
Guho,

Any data on replacing the contacts for these HAI switches?  I have one switch out of many that is getting to intermittent and frustrating. Add to that the replacement costs.  It would be nice to replace the only mechanical component in the switch.

thanks
Guy

I've replaced the microswitches on my SAI switches a few times after they exhibited the symptoms you describe.  Not a big deal if you have soldering skills.  I have a few non-functioning switches that I keep for spare parts.  I've not seen the circuit board on an HAI switch however.  The microswitches should be easy to spot though if they are being used.

I've had one SA switch that was sort of sticky.  Today took the switch apart and removed the top with the plungers.  I tested it and saw the plastic plungers sticking a bit. There was much dust in the switch and around the plungers from the cavity of the wall. These are in metal boxes and using metal conduit.

Cleaned the switch button cover with two plungers with alcohol.  Then I took a bit of silicon lubricant to the plungers and that unstuck the plastic plunges.  It is working fine.  Before doing this I also tested the contacts for the plungers with a plastic probe and they were fine.

Back