5 Pin USB Connector

You didn't mention whether accuracy was important or not, but if it is then here's an anecdote: I synchronized one of these Chronodots over ethernet to an internet time source about three months ago.  When I do a time comparison now, it still agrees to within less than a second (which is all I can resolve to).  .Others have reported similarly.

I wish I could find a wristwatch that was that accurate....

Thank you ND.  I haven't used the internet for time syncing in about 10 years plus now. 

Initially had just an NTP server in place connected to a GPS receiver.

All of the devices today on my network get their time from the firewall.  Always have blocked NTP ports though. (1,2,3)

Did this initially for myself and home stuff.  Did though play at work with this initially liking methodologies utilized for time sync for flight vectoring stuff.  Took methodologies to use of DNS servers, switches and routers on private global network.

Most recently have moved the connection over to the PFSense box. 

Modified the RS-232 cable / connection to the GPS board to include PPS for better accuracy. 

ntpq -c clockvar
assID=0 status=0000 clk_okay, last_clk_okay,
device="NMEA GPS Clock", timecode="$GPZDA,125050.000,28,09,2014,,*51",
poll=10, noreply=0, badformat=0, baddata=0, fudgetime2=400.000,
stratum=0, refid=GPS, flags=5
PFSense Firewall

Maybe divide-and-conquer?  

raspberry-pi-real-time-clock-rtc-ds3231-1.jpg

http://nicegear.co.nz/raspberry-pi/high-precision-real-time-clock-for-raspberry-pi/

Small enough?

You could run wires to power it from a coincell holder.  Or, undividing, you could  glue a coincell holder to it.

Or, if you're resyncing locally at powerup anyway, maybe you don't even need to care about a coincell at all.

Anyhow, whatever the flight vectoring is, sounds like fun.... and complicated.

Actually, if you can live with a smaller coincell, it looks like it may come with one on the other side already:

ds3231-raspberry-pi-i2c-real-time-clock-rtc-direct-plug-arduino-ioline-1404-07-ioline@1.jpg

Yup; all of this relates to my little "fix" to the OPII panel and installation into the modded  microrouter.

Back