8" Touchscreen

Vaughn;

I have no idea what the difference is, but I know a lot of people use the Lilliput brand.

I think electron had this in his car at one time so you might want to wait for his opinion.

It should work for home use, but you will have to watch your USB cord length and of course get a 12 volt power supply adapter that matches the power needs of the monitor (current draw).

Do you plan on mounting this in a wall?

That will operate fine. Of course you know you will have to put it on an external 110 to 12 volt DC power supply. You also have to resolve the physical mounting issues. And, your touchscreen software has to be designed for a small user interface for usability (bigger, fewer buttons with more scenes).
You can run it off a dual head VGA graphics card and still use your desktop monitor if your software will do a X shift like MainLobby provides.

Most LCD monitors use VESA standard mounting for walls. I would hope this is the case on these, but it does not say.

The Lilliput is only 200:1 contrast ration (although this one does not even say). But this one is 800x600, vs the Lilliput at 640x480. I would think that has to help a little on making interface screens.

I am ok with the AC/DC (hehe) requirements, the wall mounting scares me a little. I just want to start working with touch screens and this seems like a flexable way to go, can always use it for other things if the HA does not work out.

Thanks for the input. I am going to wait until tomorrow to order it if anyone has any other recommendations.

Vaughn

Yea, AC/DC is one of my favorite groups as well! B) .

I doubt that this touchscreen has the VESA standard mounting capability since it is made for a car. Plus if it had the capability it would be listed under it's specifications (I didn't look, is it?).

FYI; I did find a cool mount from Pro Mounts for mounting a VESA touch screen on a wall when I was at CES in January. I did a review of it HERE (towards the middle of that thread). Note that it is for a "surface mount" and not an "in-wall" mount option.

Maybe I am missing something, but wouldn't the nokia 770 make more sense?

CompUSA around here ran them on special for less than 300 (AMR--after mailin rebate) just a week or so ago.

eufreka said:

CompUSA around here ran them on special for less than 300 (AMR--after mailin rebate) just a week or so ago.
Is that a "true" touchscreen or do you need a pen device?

Also, it lists "web browsing" capabilities so it may not have enough horsepower to run MainLobby or CQC apps.

The Nokia 770 is a promising device, but Vaughn is looking for a computer monitor to connect to his PC. The 770 is a standalone Linux based computer specialized in web browsing - which would work on certain applications too, but not necessarily in this one. In addition, the screen is much smaller, and is not wall mountable.

Hi Guys

Looks like the Nokia 770 has attracted some attention over int the Homevision Mailing list....One hv User has previously reported that it was very slow has done some modding and now says its response is quite good....and theres going to be some more work on the Homevision flash movie to suit this device soon.....

Frank

elcano said:
The Nokia 770 is a promising device, but Vaughn is looking for a computer monitor to connect to his PC. The 770 is a standalone Linux based computer specialized in web browsing - which would work on certain applications too, but not necessarily in this one. In addition, the screen is much smaller, and is not wall mountable.
Well, I guess my point was that the issue is one of functionality v. cost.

If I can buy a wireless touchscreen device to drive the same functions, why pay as much for a wallmounted unit that accomplishes no more?

Granted first generation is always a little limited but by December, I think it will hit mainstream...

All he might really need is a little webifying to drive his current software? I guess that depends on what he really wants to accomplish.

I know that I have been using my cellphone (cingular 8125) with the low bandwidth Rover web interface, and can do a whole lot--out of the box. Enough to convince me that wifi pads/tabletpcs make more sense to me than wallmounted stuff.

And I haven't actually held one, but it seems to me that you could improvise mounting the 770's charging station to the wall if you wanted...sorta like a homebase.

FrankMc said:
Hi Guys

Looks like the Nokia 770 has attracted some attention over int the Homevision Mailing list....One hv User has previously reported that it was very slow has done some modding and now says its response is quite good....and theres going to be some more work on the Homevision flash movie to suit this device soon.....

Frank
So others can see what you are talking about...see this post from today...

There's a picture of his interface....

But note that he says he's NOT using the HV flash movie anymore...

BraveSirRobbin said:
eufreka said:

Is that a "true" touchscreen or do you need a pen device?

Also, it lists "web browsing" capabilities so it may not have enough horsepower to run MainLobby or CQC apps.
See the same homevision group message:

He says your finger should be fine, if your "buttons" are big enough....

And apparently there's a "HomeVisionXL control plugin" that works for remote communication...not strictly "webbrowsing" it seems.

Back