Automating Plantation Shutters

RandyKnight

Regarding automation for the new house, automating window covering as much as possible would be nice. But most of what I have seen is related to drapes or mini-blinds. Most of our window coverings will be plantation shutters. Any ideas / experience with that? Only thing I can think of is some kind of servo connected to the bar which is used to open / close the slats.

In general, what types of window covering are easiest to automate, from easiest to hardest?

We'll see what the Mrs. can live with based on that list. :angry:

I don't know what a plantation shutter is. Is that like the windows on the house in "Gone With The Wind"? (Or the one in "Mandingo"?)

I guess you could use a simple solonoid attached to the end of the wooden rod but that would just give you full open or closed. Probably need a stepper motor for variable light levels.

Have you looked at these?

upstatemike said:
I guess you could use a simple solonoid attached to the end of the wooden rod but that would just give you full open or closed. Probably need a stepper motor for variable light levels.

Have you looked at these?
Very cool. Just requested a catalog and info from them.

Regarding the simple solenoid idea ... that wouldn't be too bad as you could just use it to close them at sunset, open at sunreise, etc. You could manually adjust for other light levels. Also would need the solenoid to be disconnectable so you could swing them open.

I'll let you know what I find out about the ones you linked.

The Hunter Douglas blinds have the 12VDC motor built in. Apply one polarity and the blinds run to full open then stop. Apply the other polarity and the blinds run to full close and stop. You can also jog the blind motor to open and close the blinds by tilting the blind. The Hunter Douglas website shows RF controlled blinds, but the ELK Demo House has 12VDC wired blinds.

Has anyone played with the new electric mini-actuator cyclinders? I'd like to try a couple of those out... I'm googling for the info now.

Has anyone played with the new electric mini-actuator cyclinders? I'd like to try a couple of those out... I'm googling for the info now.

Dusted off this thread, as I'm interested in automating some existing plantation shutters.

What type of actuator would do this? Any brand or model suggestions? Seems Somfy supplies the motors for many blind and shade companies, but unsure of the mechanism for mechanized shutters.

As a child, I loved to play with electronics, but my career took me on another route. Now all grown up, I'm reviving my interest in these cool toys.

Found a LINAK actuator website. Learning about linear actuator construction.

OP hasn't been seen since 3/08, but I PM'd him anyway. I think he was looking (in '06) for a manufactured solution.

Dusted off this thread, as I'm interested in automating some existing plantation shutters.

What type of actuator would do this? Any brand or model suggestions? Seems Somfy supplies the motors for many blind and shade companies, but unsure of the mechanism for mechanized shutters.

As a child, I loved to play with electronics, but my career took me on another route. Now all grown up, I'm reviving my interest in these cool toys.

OP hasn't been seen since 3/08, but I PM'd him anyway. I think he was looking (in '06) for a manufactured solution.

I have Norman Norman Perfect Tilt Motorized Shutters. They are IR controlled and run on batteries though they just came out with a version that has a solar cell on the back that recharges the batteries. Seem to be good quality and happy with them:

http://www.normanshutters.com/shutter_products.html
http://windowcoveringsupply.com/Motorized%20Shutters.htm

I have Norman Norman Perfect Tilt Motorized Shutters. They are IR controlled and run on batteries though they just came out with a version that has a solar cell on the back that recharges the batteries. Seem to be good quality and happy with them:

http://www.normanshutters.com/shutter_products.html
http://windowcoveringsupply.com/Motorized%20Shutters.htm

I came across that product yesterday, but they don't detail the mechanism. Unfortunately (or fortunately), my house came with plantation shutters, everywhere.

I'm a Norman dealer, along with most other brands, and I can confirm they are an excellent product in every respect. They are a Chinese product, and their finishes are second to none. The motorized hardly look any different than non-motorized shutters.

Back