Best Home Automation Software/Controller

Both Homeseer and CQC allow you to create nice interfaces as well, not just an Elve thing.  That said, I haven't heard from John in a while (he used to be active on here as well), which does worry me a little.

Both Homeseer and CQC allow you to create nice interfaces as well, not just an Elve thing.  That said, I haven't heard from John in a while (he used to be active on here as well), which does worry me a little.
Yes I know. But in homeseer and cqc I need always a PC running.

That said, I haven't heard from John in a while (he used to be active on here as well), which does worry me a little.

John is buried in work creating medical software for all the changes coming in the healthcare field.

Elve Beta 2.0 has recently gone public.  Typically for Elve, it's very stable.

The Elk doesn't have to be running all the time? How does that work for security?

Yes, it's not PC based, so you don't need a PC running 24/7, but IT still has to be running all the time... which was my question.

Having said that, depending on what all you want to automate (I think it was a pretty long list of items, but I didn't reference the OP)... I don't know if the Elk will do EVERYTHING that you want on it's own. You may, very likely, end up using both... an automation panel (such as the Elk or HAI) and a software controller (PC based, running CQC, Homeseer, Premise, or whatever other software).

I look at Google and for me looks like the Insteon and zwave are the cheapest
dimmer and switches, you can get them for $ 50 ea.

If you must make a decision between Insteon and zwave, which one you want to
choose ?

It depends on your environment. What kind of walls do you have? plastic or metal j-boxes? Do you want to automate thermostats, door locks, etc, or just lighting?<br /><br />I personally use UPB and Z-Wave. High quality Z-Wave switches are just as expensive (if not more) as the UPB switches, but Z-Wave is a little quicker when it comes to remote control, and you don't have to worry about powerline noise.

I want to add a door lock so I am leaning towards zwave. I know with zwave you need a good number of hardwired devices to act as repeaters to create a good mesh network.

AFAIK upb requires you to have a nu or 3rd wire at each switch usaly only found in newer homes. I don't have this but I'm wondering if I can use armored sheathing of old bx cable

If anyone has an answer to the bx cable as a nu or how to cheaply integrate a wireless door lock without a 100+ dollar zwave controller it be much appreciated

You are asking a "loaded question" here lanski.

Here many years ago I went the Insteon route having started with X10 in the late 1970's.

The above noted I also utilized both X-10 and Insteon control of my Insteon switches.

Sometime in the 2000's started to play with UPB and Z-Wave.

Up until this past summer I had about 1/4 of my home at UPB.  I was on my way to switching all my wall switches to UPB and procastinated somewhat.

This past summer actually moved the majority (almost all of them) to UPB and changed a bit utilizing many multipaddle UPB switches and dual load switches.  One of the PITA rooms here was the kitchen with mutlple sets of three way switches and something like 5 different groups of lighting.  The concern mostly here was how it would work with WAF.  It did work just fine; in fact I think my wife knows what the paddles control more than me these days.

So here I wrote about mostly UPB.  That said I am still playing with Z-Wave and have maybe 20 devices now split into devices connected to the HAI OPII panel and Homeseer.  I do not pay attention to logging but rather function.  The devices are all working; even the ones at the periferals of my property.  Concurrently this past summer added more X10 stuff (regressing from the Insteon stuff a bit) and while I still have an XTB in place added the newest XTBIIR.  I also was using xAP for my Zoneminder DVR box and added X-10 control to it this past summer.

Dan (electron) said:
It depends on your environment. What kind of walls do you have? plastic or metal j-boxes? Do you want to automate thermostats, door locks, etc, or just lighting?<br /><br />I personally use UPB and Z-Wave. High quality Z-Wave switches are just as expensive (if not more) as the UPB switches, but Z-Wave is a little quicker when it comes to remote control, and you don't have to worry about powerline noise.
I want to go with plastic boxes, they are bigger than metal.
But i don't want to spend over $ 4000 for my complete Home Automation.

How is your home automation budget divided up there Lanski?

Basically here I have done a little bit at a time in over 10 years of this and that.

I FL I did even slower not starting any lighting automation until 5 years after contruction; and I am still not close and much older these days.

My HA is kind of divided into partly a hobby (money isn't seen much) and a need with a justification (where as money is watched) and a WAF factor (wife always questioned the $50 switch or being afraid to break the house touching a touchscreen).

Back