Best Tstat for the ELK?

thewireguy

I want to get a tstat that will controled by the ELK M1. I have installed around 20 or 30 HAI tstats and have nothing but problems so I dont want to use HAI. I like the look and the functionality of the Aprilair 8870 ....... could anyone give me some feed back about the Aprilair with the M1 system.

Thanks

thewireguy

thewireguy said:
I have installed around 20 or 30 HAI tstats and have nothing but problems so I dont want to use HAI.
That's an interesting statement. I've had a HAI RC80B running for a few months without a problem. It seemed to be the easiest to interface - nothing extra to buy - and it has performed flawlessly. What kinds of problems should I anticipate? :p

thewireguy said:
I have installed around 20 or 30 HAI tstats and have nothing but problems so I dont want to use HAI.
I too have installed the 80B and it has worked fine for over a year.

I did have to learn some tricks in using it with the Elk, like to include a SET HOLD TO OFF prior to other SET commands, and realizing that there are min/max temp values set in the stat that you can't go above/below in rules or the command is ignored.

There are also some items that need to be programmed in the stat that can't be set via the Elk interface. I've suggested that they make available a "low level" bytestream to devices via the XSP so one could get around this, particularly for remote installs.

What issues are you seeing?

I have the RCS TR-16. I like it for it's minimal display, yet I can still get the temperature readings and set the setpoints (seperate heat and cool), etc. from the ELK ( I am using CQC.) No problems so far.

I've installed both HAI and RCS thermostats. I like them both. In my mind, the decision should be based on the look you like and the wires you have available to the tstat.

I already ran a cat5 to my tstat location so that is not a problem.......

i would say about half of the HAI tstats i installed went bad..... no com with the HAI or just dead....... so that is why i dont want to use HAI..... i haven't installed one for about 4 years so maybe HAI has fixed the problems now.

i think im going with the Aprilair 8870...... do i need the controller for it to interface with my serial expander?

I've got the RCS TR40 - RS-485 version, which can let me add additional tstats with only one Elk XSP module. I've got one so far, and will be expanding to 3 eventually.

Later,
Frank

Don't know when or even IF it will happen......

The request has been sent to the Elk guys to look at the possability to sent text messages OUT to the TR40 Tstat (which has the bigger display). This would require some software re-writing from Elk.

thewireguy said:
i would say about half of the HAI tstats i installed went bad..... no com with the HAI or just dead....... so that is why i dont want to use HAI..... i haven't installed one for about 4 years so maybe HAI has fixed the problems now.
For reference (although not much data): I've had one installed not connected to a controller for about two years, and then connected to an Elk for maybe a year. I have not seen an issue with it failing yet.

I have another one going in in the next few weeks.

I noticed the Aprilaire instructions say you need a distribution box and protocol converter on top of the M1XSP.

If you only have one TSTAT do you still need the distribution box?

wuench said:
I noticed the Aprilaire instructions say you need a distribution box and protocol converter on top of the M1XSP.

If you only have one TSTAT do you still need the distribution box?
that is want i want to know too.

+1 for the TR-40, I have two on one bus. They work brilliantly, though I could have probably got by with a TR-16 since I have written my own temperature management and scheduler program on the Elk side.

Back