[Blogs] If the shoe fits - A new baby to play with......and Virtualization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
I have a new baby to play with. I know all of you are thinking "Oh, did he get an Elk?' or "Oh, maybe he has some new home theatre equipment.". No, I actually have a new baby, literally. My three month absence from this blog is explained by the birth of my daughter on August 4th. I was quite surprised when I got on here and realized i hadn't made a blog post since May. I guess the final 3 months of my wife's pregnancy took more of my time than I thought.

About the only things i did get done since my last post was getting frustrated. My brother recently upgraded his Nuvo Whole house audio system and gave me his old one! It is only a simplese system that does 4 zones, but it is a start. I got on Monoprice and ordered all the speakers (12 pair) that i need for the rest of my house, as well as a couple of other gadgets for future projects. With baby on the way, I have not had the time to get any of that installed, so for now it sits in boxes in my garage. Frustration.

I did get the Xbox and Wii cables from the upstairs wall plates tied into my patch panel. I then wired from the patch panel to the video switchbox. I went upstairs to try everything, and while it was all working, I couldn't switch the input on the switchbox via my IR repeater. I tried moving the switchbox, learning different codes and using my yamaha remote, everything i could think of. Frustration. My plan now is to get a couple of USBUIRTs and put one that will recieve commands from my IR Repeater, and one that will send commands from the same spot the IR Repeater is at. Hopefully the switchbox will be able to receive commands from the USBUIRT, and then I can use my (soon to be installed) Premise server to receive the commands via the repeater, then replicate the command via the other USBUIRT. Unless somebody else has a wonderful idea that I can try..........

Speaking of my soon to be installed Premise server, I took a ghost image of my Server 2003 machine so I could take a stab at installing ESXi server on it. It would be really nice to have a virtual server running so I can install a Domain Controller, an Exchange server, a SCCM server, a Premise server, a Development XP machine, and what ever else I decided I need all on 1 box. Power savings, Administration ease, it would be nice. I got ESXi server installed on it and created my first environment. I needed to assign the CD drive to the installation so I can start installing stuff and low and behold, Under the assignment section of ESXi server, There is nothing listed. Frustration. After some back and forth with Gigabyte tech support over the last couple of days, I found out that there is a hidden menu (visible by pressing Ctrl+F1 in the BIOS) that allows you to turn on Virtualization. I only had a couple of minutes this morning before work but I did find the menu and turn on Virtualization. I can't wait to get home to look in the client to see if I can pass through hardware. Hopefully this one doesn't end in frustration......

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back