Cable Suppliers

DJK

I'm looking for TONS of LV cable for new construction and was wonder how to best purcase it.

1. Lump sum with a cable distributor or
2. Purchase separately over the internet

Comments welcomed!

List is as follows:
Application Wire Type # of 1000' spools
Speaker 14/2 4
Power Shades 18/4 4
Door Strikes 18/4 2
Fire 18/4 CMP 1
Microphone 22 shielded 2
Window Contacts 22/4 5
Door Contacts 22/4 4
Motion Sensor 22/4 4
IR 22/4 1
Keypad Cat5e 4
Cameras Cat5e 4
Telephone Cat5e 6
HVAC/misc Cat5e 1
Network Cat6 6
Cameras RG59 Siamese 4
Video RG6QS dual 6

I will be purchasing a lot of LV cable for my new house soon as well. I have decided to use all Belden cable, as I use it regularly for my job, and like the quality and ease of use (yes, some of the cheaper cable is more difficult to use...trust me).

After scouring the Internet for Belden suppliers, I found that tselectronic.com had the best prices by far. They also had the best prices on most Leviton items as well. I haven't actually purchased from them yet, but their prices are very good, and they aren't just some warehouse in NY. :rolleyes:

If you haven't decided on what brand of cable to use, or were thinking of going with the cheap stuff, I would highly recommend you check out Belden products. They make wire for every application you are looking to use. You can download their PDF catalog here:

http://www.belden.com/03Products/03_MasterCatalog.cfm

Sacedog,

Thanks for the feedback. I too usually buy Belden and have never been disappointed. I will check out the link, and really appreciate your hard work scouring :rolleyes:

I'll be buying real quick, so will let you know my experiences.

I will be purchasing a lot of LV cable for my new house soon as well. I have decided to use all Belden cable, as I use it regularly for my job, and like the quality and ease of use (yes, some of the cheaper cable is more difficult to use...trust me).

After scouring the Internet for Belden suppliers, I found that tselectronic.com had the best prices by far. They also had the best prices on most Leviton items as well. I haven't actually purchased from them yet, but their prices are very good, and they aren't just some warehouse in NY. :(

If you haven't decided on what brand of cable to use, or were thinking of going with the cheap stuff, I would highly recommend you check out Belden products. They make wire for every application you are looking to use. You can download their PDF catalog here:

http://www.belden.com/03Products/03_MasterCatalog.cfm

After scouring the Internet for Belden suppliers, I found that tselectronic.com had the best prices by far. They also had the best prices on most Leviton items as well. I haven't actually purchased from them yet, but their prices are very good, and they aren't just some warehouse in NY. :rolleyes:
I just received an order from Tri State yesterday and have ordered previously with no problems. I think others from here have ordered there as well. I didn't order wire, but I did get screwless switch plates, bulk wire plates and some Quickport stuff.

I just received an order from Tri State yesterday and have ordered previously with no problems. I think others from here have ordered there as well. I didn't order wire, but I did get screwless switch plates, bulk wire plates and some Quickport stuff.

That's nice to hear that others have used that too. I plan on purchasing all of my cabling, and a lot of the other items that I will need for termination (quickport jacks/plates, Arlington mud rings, etc.). Dkolva, you'll have to let us know how your order goes too!

I just realized after looking at your original post, that you are going to purchase 58,000 feet of cabling!!! :( How big is the house that you are cabling? Have you done an IN-DEPTH wiring plan, and scaled measurments? My wiring plan indicates about 22k feet for a 4300 sqft home. I have a lot of drops too, and am home running everything.

After scouring the Internet for Belden suppliers, I found that tselectronic.com had the best prices by far. They also had the best prices on most Leviton items as well. I haven't actually purchased from them yet, but their prices are very good, and they aren't just some warehouse in NY. :p
My house is almost 100% Belden except for a twist thrown by DirecTV as I was about to close up the drywall holes. (DirectTV recommends using all-copper center conductors with their new Ka/Ku dishes, so I had to scramble to find some locally. It was not nearly as easy to work with) All my CAT5 network cable is Belden although I did use the Home Depot stuff for my IR distribution.

And I bough most of it from the aforementioned tselectronic.com. Got most of my Leviton stuff there as well. I was pleased with their service even for a few very small follow up orders. One other place for cable is markertek.com. I got my Cresnet cable and speaker wire (Belden) from them.

Yep, 58K or 11 miles of cable. It's a 11K house, but very horizontally spaced and big verticals.

Keep those suggestions coming, all great stuff.

Hopefully, it'll be all the cable I'll ever need :p

I've mentioned what is now Keystone Wire and Cable a few times. I've use 22/2 and 4, Cat5, RG6Quad Solid and High strand speaker wire from them and never really had a problem. Some of their stuff is branded, other bulk. Their prices are very competitive and he (at least used to) ship all orders > $500 for free. WayneW has also used some of their wire. It may be worth a call just for another quote, I've been very satisfied. Find their info here. If you call, ask for Nick and tell him Steve from CocoonTech sent you (I get no commission but you may get a slightly better price).

Just make sure you know the shipping charges before you pull the trigger. Some places charge an arm and a leg to ship wire spools. Don't know where you are in NC, but I am in Greenville SC and there are two very good suppliers here (SET NET and Norfolk Wire). If you live close to a decent size city/town, I suspect you can find a local supplier or two. With that kind of order size, you'll be on very good terms with those guys which can be helpful in the future when you need something last minute.

Back