Caddx NX8E connecting with bluetooth com port

theedudenator

I have a NX8E installed and I bought an iogear bluetooth to comport adapter.

I can get my PC to communicate and connect via bluetooth to the IOGear adapter.
But I cannot get the DL900 software to do anything.

Anyone else use this combo?

I've found the NX8e to be a pretty finicky device with serial communications. I would first try to connect directly via a serial cable to get the settings correct between the DL900 software and the NX83 itself (i.e. enabling serial port, etc...)

I've found the NX8e to be a pretty finicky device with serial communications. I would first try to connect directly via a serial cable to get the settings correct between the DL900 software and the NX83 itself (i.e. enabling serial port, etc...)

I don't have a PC with a serial port.
I am waiting for a USB-Serial adapter in the mail.

Hopefully this will work.

My USB to Serial adapter came in the mail

Now I can connect to it.

I am still trying to get this bluetooth to work... .anyone use this?

Any other suggestions on this?
I also bought adapters to convert ethernet wire into com cables.
But I cannot get this to work either.

My USB to Serial adapter came in the mail

Now I can connect to it.

I am still trying to get this bluetooth to work... .anyone use this?

I'm noticing a pattern to many of your posts in that there is always a subtle jab at Caddx hardware as being "dinosaur", "long in the tooth", etc.

Can you please state some of the problems you've had? I'm asking because my experience is 100% opposite of yours.

thanks,

mike

I'm noticing a pattern to many of your posts in that there is always a subtle jab at Caddx hardware as being "dinosaur", "long in the tooth", etc.

Can you please state some of the problems you've had? I'm asking because my experience is 100% opposite of yours.

thanks,

mike

I've always stated that if you JUST want security, and nothing but security, CADDX hardware will suite you well. BUT, when you want to start customizing the install for other home automation type features/integration, CADDX is a bear.

Also, if you are not a professional installer the programming is extremely tedious. Try getting a relay output to close based on a security contact status. I did it, but it was ugly.

But, don't take my word for it, go and look at the NX8E manual and compare it to an Elk M1 Golds. I've installed two Caddx NX8E systems and two Elk M1 Gold systems and I'll take the Elk over the Caddx any day.

If I were a professional installer and did only a couple of 'basic' types of security installs, sure Caddx would probably be a decent tool as once you get the hardware setup, it's bullet proof. I know of one professional installer that actually had the programming steps memorized so he could do it with the keypad!

As far as the serial port is concerned, if you look over previous posts you will find that I'm not the only one having trouble setting it up, especially if you want it compatible with an external software package like HomeSeer. Again, just look at the settings you have to go through to get it to work. That plus the fact the system doesn't even come with an interface cable compatible with a standard DB-9 connector (you have to special order it).

Also, what new developments has Caddx come up with, especially concerning the DIY market? I've visited their booth at the ISC-West Security Expo here in Las Vegas and started asking questions like this, even started taking some pictures of their displays and GOT RUN OFF! Guess they don't like the DIY market!

I'm glad you are having success with Caddx as it is, as I've stated in other posts, a great piece of hardware for security, and nothing but security with us DIY types. But, for the majority of applications that our membership here would want from a system, it is just like X-10, good at what it does, limited in features, and (in my observations anyway) will probably stay that way. :)

Fair enough criticisms.

It was relatively easy to get my Caddx going, but then again I am an engr with > 23 years experience.

It would have helped me (and others) immensely if the Caddx manual merely defined terms/acronyms it references...most aren't defined. If this WERE done....I feel anybody with 1/2 a brain could setup their security panel.

There are many 'hidden' details in Caddx api but these only came into play for more advanced automation scenarios.

I found the Elk wanting because I wanted open-ended nature of Linux server (i.e. real computer) which wouldn't put artificial limits on macros, # phone numbers, etc. Things I hated about the Stargate.

If I wanted a lightweight system (no computer, but some automation features) then I may consider the Elk M1.

I found the other vendors apis lacking...many don't support the robust feature-set of Caddx.

My biggest criticism of Caddx is the documentation really. As a 'smarter' user I had no problems calling G.E. with smart questions and they were happy to answer. Only when questions were truly tough did they respond with "hey are you an actual installer or service provider?".

thanks for response,

mike

thanks,

mike

I've always stated that if you JUST want security, and nothing but security, CADDX hardware will suite you well. BUT, when you want to start customizing the install for other home automation type features/integration, CADDX is a bear.

Also, if you are not a professional installer the programming is extremely tedious. Try getting a relay output to close based on a security contact status. I did it, but it was ugly.

But, don't take my word for it, go and look at the NX8E manual and compare it to an Elk M1 Golds. I've installed two Caddx NX8E systems and two Elk M1 Gold systems and I'll take the Elk over the Caddx any day.

If I were a professional installer and did only a couple of 'basic' types of security installs, sure Caddx would probably be a decent tool as once you get the hardware setup, it's bullet proof. I know of one professional installer that actually had the programming steps memorized so he could do it with the keypad!

As far as the serial port is concerned, if you look over previous posts you will find that I'm not the only one having trouble setting it up, especially if you want it compatible with an external software package like HomeSeer. Again, just look at the settings you have to go through to get it to work. That plus the fact the system doesn't even come with an interface cable compatible with a standard DB-9 connector (you have to special order it).

Also, what new developments has Caddx come up with, especially concerning the DIY market? I've visited their booth at the ISC-West Security Expo here in Las Vegas and started asking questions like this, even started taking some pictures of their displays and GOT RUN OFF! Guess they don't like the DIY market!

I'm glad you are having success with Caddx as it is, as I've stated in other posts, a great piece of hardware for security, and nothing but security with us DIY types. But, for the majority of applications that our membership here would want from a system, it is just like X-10, good at what it does, limited in features, and (in my observations anyway) will probably stay that way. ;)

Most of the Serial Bluetooth devices require the device they connect to to have a full RS232 implementing supporting CTS/RTS handshaking. That means "3-wire" type serial ports (Send/Recv/Gnd) won't work unless you create a custom cable (or use a breakout box or similar) to loop pins 7 and 8 back to the Bluetooth RS232 port to fake it out.

Back