Color convetion for wiring 4-wire smokes

If you've got them wired correctly in the field, you'll have 4 conductors (2 power, 2 circuit) coming in and out from each smoke, with the last smoke and an EOL relay.

Most typically you'll see R/B for power and Y/G for circuit, but it depends on what colors your cable has and logic usually.

If you've got them wired correctly in the field, you'll have 4 conductors (2 power, 2 circuit) coming in and out from each smoke, with the last smoke and an EOL relay.

Most typically you'll see R/B for power and Y/G for circuit, but it depends on what colors your cable has and logic usually.

Thanks! I guess R for + and B for -. Y for + and G for -.

Also make sure you wire the red's on the in and out + terminals for proper power supervision. (If your smokes have 5 terminals)

Thanks! I guess R for + and B for -. Y for + and G for -.
Whoa, wait a second, that doesn't sound right for a 4 wire smoke at all.

a 4 wire smoke, actually has 8 conductors tied to it, whether it's feeding the next smoke or an EOL relay for power supervision. For simplicity's sake, 2 are for switched power and the second pair is wired to an initiating circuit on the panel.

A 2 wire, will have a total of 4 "connections" with 2 being the cabling feeding it and the other 2 being additional cabling (other detectors) or the EOLR, completing the circuit.

For terminals, it depends on the smoke detector, but all the major ones I have used that have that terminal have had any second terminal electrically common with it's counterpart.

I believe it was a way to get people out of the practice of twisting or looping the wires under the terminals, negating the proper supervision of the loop.

Back