Contact Switch Help

stacyh3

When my house was wired, I had the electrician put wires and drill holes for 3/4" roller plunger contacts for a few of the doors. I'm not sure what he was thinking, but on 2 of the doors, he DID NOT put the hole on the hinge side, and on one door he put the hole in the TOP of the door frame! I really don't want these contact switches rubbing the door everytime we open and close it. It seems like they'll ruin the wood if I do that. So, I'm looking for an alternative.

I found some 3/4" recesses magnetic contacts that could work, but they say "steel door" set on them. What exactly does that mean? Based on the photos, these look like they'll work, and the holes are 3/4". The steel door part is what I didn't understand.

If this isn't the right thing, what are my alternatives?

Thanks,
Stacy

"The steel door part is what I didn't understand."

Steel doors present a couple problems. First, they change the pattern of the magnetic field and reduce the gap distance. Second, commercial grade steel doors tend to have hollow channels at the top, bottom, and along the edges. Magnetic switch sets made for steel doors address these issues. The magnet is usually much smaller in diameter then the outer diameter of the device, thus isolating the magnetic field from the steel door. They also tend to have "snap-in" designs to attach to a thickness of sheet metal far thinner than the switch's total length.

I used a 3/4 diameter switch like this on my wood doors because of the larger diameter. First I drilled a 3/4" hole into the door jamb. Then I drilled a 1/4" hole at a 45* angle from this hole through the studs and bottom plate down into the basement. The larger diameter allowed me to drill the access hole for the wires without making the first 3/4" hole into an oval shape. I made a jig from a 3/4" dowel to guide the drill similar to a Tane Jambstick: http://www.tanealarm.com/products/accessories/jambstick.asp

Got it. Thanks. I don't think I'll be drilling any new holes since the wiring is done. Unless there were an easy way to move the wire to the other side of the door. I think a magnetic contact is going to be my best bet. It sounds like as long as I get one that will fit in the 3/4 hole, I should be fine.

I do have some 3/8 ones that would work if I could come up with a clever way to "shrink" the hole. I guess I could cut a 3/4 dowel and use it as a plug in the existing hole with the 3/8" magnetic switch recessed into the plug. I dunno, it might not look so great.

I would say the the 3/4" switches will work in steel doors. Of course they will also work in wood doors.

I would say the the 3/4" switches will work in steel doors. Of course they will also work in wood doors.

I think I may get some of those then. With the holes on the latch side of the door instead of the hinge side, the plunger switches that I bought will ruin the wood. I wasn't too happy when I discovered this, but I don't know how hard it would be to fix at this point. I don't want to tear up doors and walls (or rather have my builder do that) if I can do something simpler.

Stacy

Based on professional experience in this, I prefer to put the switch on the side opposite the hinges. Actually on the top of the door away from the hinge is the best. Always use magnetic switches. They are more reliable in the long run and less prone to false alarms. Another reason for putting them on the top is they are better hidden and more protected from the weather. My last resort is to use a push-type button on the hinge side. But ease of getting the wires where they need to go always is a factor, and usually the determining factor.

My door switch placement priorities:

1. Place a magnetic switch on the top edge away from the hinge. (very common)
2. Place a magnetic switch on the top edge in the middle of the door.
3. Place a magnetic switch on the side edge away from the hinge near the top of the door.
4. Place a magnetic switch on the side edge away from the hinge in the middle of the door.
5. Place a magnetic switch on the side edge away from the hinge at the bottom of the door. (very common)
6. Place a push button contact on the hinge side near the top.
7. Place a push button contact on the hinge side in the middle.
8. Place a push button contact on the hinge side near the bottom. (very common)

Back