CQC is not cheap!

Just a couple of things...

John - I love your screens. You did a really nice job creating them and you should be proud of the work!

Ano - I also agree with your thoughts. However, VR isn't pratical right now - I don't care which software package you are using. It has less to do with the software and more to do with the hardware. Unless you want to speak your commands into a stand mic, it just isn't going to be stable enough for mainstream. Are there success stories out there - of course (like Bill Gates house). But those systems that work are the ones that have spent some SERIOUS money on microphones and other hardware parts to make it work. I love what Vaughn has done with VCrib. But I also get a chuckle when I watch his demo videos on Utube and he has to repeat a command two or three times (or more) to get his VR to work.

All of these software packages are constantly growing. So if a package doesn't fit your needs now, keep watching, because as time goes on you may find that a package grows into what you want to see in a HA package.

Actually VR in a home is hard, but not impossible. You have to start with professional boundary mics at about eye level. These are mics designed for conference rooms, and you can pick up new Crown ones on e-Bay for about $50 each. Then you need an automatic gating mic mixer with echo cancellation. I use a model from ClearOne called the AP800 which can handle 8 mics. This unit cost $6000 when new, but has been replaced by a newer model and you can pick them up for about $200 on e-Bay. So I did the whole house for maybe $600 - $700. How much does one of those touchscreens cost, let alone 8?

The AP800 has a multitude of inputs and outputs, so it can even communicate to the outside world and tell my automation computer which mic is active, so that the voice replies only go back to the speaker near the mic, not the whole house. (I use the same AP800 to control which speakers speak when.)

Does it work? You bet. You do have to be within 10 feet of a mic, and it doesn't work with a loud TV or during a loud party, but it does work quite well. (I use a cheap walkie talkie on another zone for those instances.) It it sure beats having to scroll through touchpad screens to turn on or off a light or fan. (I can also control it by picking up any phone and giving it commands. )

So, I wouldn't say that VR isn't practical anymore. You'd be surprised what a fast computer is capable of today. And I should note, I use Microsoft's free Voice Recognition for this. If I used Dragon or specialized software, my results would be even better.

Very interesting writeup - Does that AP800 use a serial interface? Do you have a copy of the protocol?

I was going to look into VR in Q4 of this year (betweeen the HA/TTS stuff and kids summer activities, i'm full until then), I might ask one of the CQC driver writers to build a driver if it's really that cheap.

Very interesting writeup - Does that AP800 use a serial interface? Do you have a copy of the protocol?

I was going to look into VR in Q4 of this year (betweeen the HA/TTS stuff and kids summer activities, i'm full until then), I might ask one of the CQC driver writers to build a driver if it's really that cheap.

Yes, the AP800 has a serial port and the protocol is pretty easy. Just ASCII commands, really nothing more complex than that. The cool thing is that you can chain multiple AP800s together and have them all controlled from one serial port. Each is a full 12 X 12 mixer with 8 of the 12 capable of being used for mics.

The document is here:
http://www.clearone.com/docs/manuals/800-1....0_AP800Man.pdf

Commands are toward the end.

I just checked e-Bay. There is one for sale for $44, one for $180, and one for $500. You can usually get one in good condition for about $200. I actually got a brand new one for $200 and it included all the back connectors. Sometimes you have to buy these extra.

Also note that this device DOESN'T use simple RCA jacks for audio. It uses professional balanced audio connections, which is what you need for the longer cable runs you will likely need.

Thanks! There is actually one place in my house (entryway) where VR would be fabulously useful, and noise isn't an issue. For $250, that would be a steal (assuming hundreds of hours aren't wasted getting it to work).

Ok, any of you damn lurkers, don't be outbidding me on the eBay ones right now!

I just checked e-Bay. There is one for sale for $44, one for $180, and one for $500. You can usually get one in good condition for about $200. I actually got a brand new one for $200 and it included all the back connectors. Sometimes you have to buy these extra.

Ok, well I picked up the cheap one, $51 as-is condition and only the one cable. I'll start a seperate thread on "VR using AP800" and beg you to help me get all the right parts/etc. Hopefully it works, but for $75 shipped, it's worth the experiment.

Thanks again for the heads-up.

Ano - I stand corrected. Thanks for the detailed information. I didn't realize the prices for some of this hardware had dropped so much. $200 is much more achievable than $6000 for most people. I would agree that $700-1000 to outfit an entire house isn't really that bad. Even a "poor man's" touch screen might run that much with the screen, cabling, and computer to run it. If you go with a standalone wireless touchscreen, then you will spend more than that just for one screen.

However, IVB's post shows another reason that I personally went with CQC. Even though there may not be a driver this minute, it is more than likely it is simply because there hasn't been interest in creating one (ie no one is using the hardware so there is no driver). While I have not written a driver yet myself, it isn't tremendously hard and you can create them yourselves, or find someone else to write one for you.

So while there isn't currently a viable VR option for CQC there might be one soon :ph34r:

Vivek - if you find a source for those 3 pin phoenix connectors, please let me know. I need some for my Zeebox D250. I am trying to find a local supplier because shipping costs more than the item if you try to buy it online. Likewise if I find some around here I'll PM you about them.

Vivek - if you find a source for those 3 pin phoenix connectors, please let me know. I need some for my Zeebox D250. I am trying to find a local supplier because shipping costs more than the item if you try to buy it online. Likewise if I find some around here I'll PM you about them.

The connectors that the AP800 uses are called Phoenix connectors. They can be pretty hard to come by but Digi-Key carries them:

DigiKey.com
Item # 281-1244-ND
Desc: CONN PLUG TERM BLCK 5.08MM 3PO

Each one has 3-terminals and it makes connecting up to the AP800 easier. You need one for every input and one for every output. There are probably at least 24 needed total if you connect to everything.

$51 is a great price for the AP800. It probably works fine, but occasionally I've since one or two of their inputs blown on e-Bay purchases.

There is a utility that you can download from the Clearone site that allows you to do everything on the AP800 from a PC. You want to use this, DON'T try to program it from the front panel. You will go crazy. The bad news, the utility wasn't designed for Windows XP, so about 50% of the time it will take multiple attempts to connect to it, but once connected, it works fine. The utility will also update the firmware in the AP800, if it needs it.

Do you hook the mic's into those connectors? Trying to figure out what they're used for.

Just a couple of things...

John - I love your screens. You did a really nice job creating them and you should be proud of the work!

Thanks sic0048. I love to look at other peoples interface designs so I figured I would share mine. I wish more people would.

:D

John

Do you hook the mic's into those connectors? Trying to figure out what they're used for.

You have to remember that the AP800 has MANY audio connectors, and since XLR connectors are expensive, they decided to go with these connectors instead. You need one for every input or output.

Thanks! There is actually one place in my house (entryway) where VR would be fabulously useful, and noise isn't an issue. For $250, that would be a steal (assuming hundreds of hours aren't wasted getting it to work).

Ok, any of you damn lurkers, don't be outbidding me on the eBay ones right now!
darn...

As long as it is not a bearing wall, then you are OK. Not sure what is a bearing wall? Then better to be safe then sorry, or get someone that knows to check. Non-bearing walls are simply holding up drywall, windows, and doors, so you can cut as much as you like.
Well, you also need to be mindful of fire regulations. You can't go cutting holes through several levels without being careful about how it'd affect fire traveling from one floor to the others. But in general, yes, it's safe to drill holes if it's just an interior stud wall that's doing nothing besides provide framing to hang drywall.

Back