Does On board video card work with dual card?

Ranger Digital

I just got two of those 15" touchscreens that guy from ebay was selling. I couldnt find the thread about it so I will post here.

Question:

I have a dual video card. I still have the orginal VGA output on the computer. The display says NO VIDEO when I use that vga. Does that mean the vga port that came on the computer is not usable if i added a video card? not a big deal as i am going to add another video card and the fine folks on the cinemar forum already educated me on "it will work" if i add another video card beside my existing dual video card.

I just got two of those 15" touchscreens that guy from ebay was selling. I couldnt find the thread about it so I will post here.

Question:

I have a dual video card. I still have the orginal VGA output on the computer. The display says NO VIDEO when I use that vga. Does that mean the vga port that came on the computer is not usable if i added a video card? not a big deal as i am going to add another video card and the fine folks on the cinemar forum already educated me on "it will work" if i add another video card beside my existing dual video card.

I find some motherboards disable the integrated video when you add a card, others allow the use of both.

Have you gone into the Display Properties to see if there's a 3rd monitor shown there? In Device Manager, is your integrated video listed under Display Adapters?

It will depend on the video card. Check the BIOS too. Sometimes the onboard video is disabled in the BIOS, independent of the additional cards.

thanks dwayne, can i check the bios without rebooting and checking during reboot? i sounds like i might be able to ENABLE the motherboard vga in the bios? eager to check out my new screen! :)

mike, yes i did that, its NOT there!!! can i change that? i tried to add it under ADD HARDWARE, but nothing.

If you've enabled it in the BIOS, and its still not functioning, then like MikeB said the video card is probably disabling the onboard video. Some video chips cant share. Same thing with our RAD-I/O video card.

dwayne, well i might be out of luck, BUT, actually in the bios (which is the f1 in boot up right? :)) i dont see a place where i can enable to not the video. am i missing something there? appreciate the help!

dwayne, well i might be out of luck, BUT, actually in the bios (which is the f1 in boot up right? :)) i dont see a place where i can enable to not the video. am i missing something there? appreciate the help!

Usually under Integrated Peripherals. Also check your motherboard manual. If you give me the mobo model, I can look at it too. Be careful in the BIOS though, its easy to mess things up.

thanks again dwayne. well i cant see a mobo model number, but its a compaq sr1830nr pc. i did a search on it, but still lookin for mobo number.
let me look at bios again so see if i see an int. per.

WOO HOO! got it to work! in the bios it ask if video primary was onboard, pci or something else, i chose onboard now all three monitors work! now i need to change them around as the primary screen is in the MIDDLE of the two on the dual video card. odd. but, happy camper here! thank you thank you thank yoU!

when i find the thread for the monitors that member was selling on ebay but helping us in this forum, i will post my replys in it.

one last thing, is it safe to keep the computer on and unplug monitors to switch them around? i want to move the a monitor to the onboard slot from the dual slot. that ok? or a big no no?

As far as I know its fine with unplugging monitors while the PC is switched on.

If you are not happy with the arrangement of your screens you can always physicly move them or just drag them around in your Desktop Properties

roger, yup, thanks, that keeps me from having to unplug my my monitors. VUT well that got me in trouble. i have the lay out the way i want, but now its telling me my primary screen which is NOT a touchscreen, its saying it IS a touchscreen and now on of other touchscreens wont touch. having a heck of a time figuring out how to get back the right screens as touchscreen. been playing with desktop properties and the elo software. the desktop properties all look right (as he scratches his head!)

when i go into elo software and say identify, its telling me that a monitor that is NOT a touchsreen is a touchscreen? confusing! thus one of my touchscreens wont work. i cant figure out how to tell a touchscreen what comport its on for the touch part. sorry for the jibberish.

You will have to tell the software that came with the touchscreen which comport to use for which touchscreen, IF that is even possible. Sometimes it is a simple piece of software that does not allow com port changes.

If you click Identify, it will tell which screen is which (1,2 and 3) in the Display Properties->Settings. If you have that correct, then start messing with the touchscreen controllers.

Did yo ever get this working? I would also like to control 2 touch screens and a standard monitor from one computer. Is there a specific card any one can recommend for this?

thanks
Lance

Back