Doorbell on OmniPro II

I'm using an Omni Pro II, but with the diagram (and the way I have it hooked up) it simply detects a drop in voltage when either of the doorbells are pressed. So with this particular configuration I don't see how I can distinguish between the two...

So I've got this hooked up and all works fine. The problem is it doesn't distinguish between the front/back door bell being pushed. Any trickery for figuring our wiring to be able to announce what door bell is being pushed?

thx

CB
You probably are using Method 1 of the Elk-930. Doing that both buttons are treated equal and you use one zone. To have separate notification you need to essentially duplicate this for each location. See Method 2 in the Elk-930 manual. This will use 2 Elk-930's, 1 for each button. You will also need 2 Elk-960's or whatever timer and then connect each location to a separate zone. Then in your programming you do your action based on what zone changed.

So I've got this hooked up and all works fine. The problem is it doesn't distinguish between the front/back door bell being pushed. Any trickery for figuring our wiring to be able to announce what door bell is being pushed?

thx

CB
You probably are using Method 1 of the Elk-930. Doing that both buttons are treated equal and you use one zone. To have separate notification you need to essentially duplicate this for each location. See Method 2 in the Elk-930 manual. This will use 2 Elk-930's, 1 for each button. You will also need 2 Elk-960's or whatever timer and then connect each location to a separate zone. Then in your programming you do your action based on what zone changed.

in case anyone needs the 930 modules, i have 2 that are brand new in box never used. if anyone is interested, send me a message.

You will also need 2 Elk-960's or whatever timer and then connect each location to a separate zone. Then in your programming you do your action based on what zone changed.

Here's a trick you could try to put them both onto one zone. Configure one of the 960s for NC output and put it in series as normal. Configure the other one as NO and wire it across the EOL resistor, so that when it triggers, it shorts the zone. Either an open or a short is considered "not ready" by the OPII. Then the code that triggers on the zone not being ready can have a condition based on the loop reading to decide which button was pressed.

So I'm back on this. I took Steve's advice and used Method 2. All works fine except.... I can't figure out how to trigger my Nuvo mute interface to mute the audio so the Omni Pro II can play a voice message when one of the doorbells is pushed. the following is the diagram of how it's all hooked up, except the nuvo. It seems it's supposed to detect a voltage drop and mute the house audio. Are there any ideas of how I can accomplish this given the current setup?

Thanks
CB
diagram.jpg

So I'm back on this. I took Steve's advice and used Method 2. All works fine except.... I can't figure out how to trigger my Nuvo mute interface to mute the audio so the Omni Pro II can play a voice message when one of the doorbells is pushed. the following is the diagram of how it's all hooked up, except the nuvo. It seems it's supposed to detect a voltage drop and mute the house audio. Are there any ideas of how I can accomplish this given the current setup?

Thanks
CB
View attachment 3534

right now in my case. i have the doorbell all setup but have yet to implement the audio muting portion into my russound system. originallym i was going to get the hai voie module to mute the audio and announce a message over the speakers. seeing that many here have had issues with the speed (or lack thereof) of the voice module i need to find an alternative. viking makes a tone gernerator that i believe has a couple doorbell sounds.

there are a few ways to implement this. you can add an automation block in the programming to mute the audio when the zone is not ready, switch inputs on your nuvo, play the tone, then switch back inputs and unmute. the russound that i have has a page trigger input that will automatically mute whatever source is playing, switch inputs and play the tone, then return to its previous state, so i shouldn't need to add and programming rules. i haven't done this yet so will need to experiment a bit.

there are a few nice things you can do when someone rings the bell, such as flash the lights in your theater or office, or play a tune in your garage.

Thank-you for the great posting on setting up the doorbell with the HAI OPII.

Initially just had one zone set up with the OPII. I used some HAI code to provide a delay. It kind of worked.

Last year (or the year before) I added an Elk-930 and reconnected the original doorbel. It improved some but still was lacking a bit.

Yesterday added the Elk-960 to the mix and it's working great!

Back