Dumb Touchscreen Question

upstatemike

One of these days I want to start playing around with MainLobby and CQC and some of the other touchscreen based systems but I'm not really looking to buy a touchscreen right now. Is there any reason I can't use a regular PC and mouse? I'm not just talking about while I learn how to set stuff up, I want to put a 15" flat screen and a wireless mouse on my coffee table and actually use it this way for awhile. Is there some reason why this would not work? Not elegant but would it be usable?

My Office/Media Room PC is already nice and quiet due to being on the other side of a wall. I'm thinkig I'll just split the video from that and put a second monitor on the coffee table along with a wireless second mouse. That way I can play at my desk or on the couch.

You can all ways use a laptop as well. Just because CQC is loaded on one computer you are not stuck with only using that computer for programming and configurations.

This might be true of ML as well, no idea, but the shockingly nice thing about CQC is that it's fully network-distributable. You can install the master server on any machine in your house, and install everything else on any or all other machines. You can use any machine to writeup the interfaces, programs, control the event scheduler, or administrate any other machine.

BTW, I've got an open offer up to walk newbies through the setup of CQC and the install of my woodpanel skins. I can teach you in 30mins->1hr what it'd take you a week or more otherwise.

The CQC forum seems to be hacked right, but if you check out my website you can see what they look like. If you decide you prefer the art-based ones, pay the $8 subscription to vladstudio.com and i'll walk you through that setup as well.

I also started usung CQC with a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse....until I got my tablets...though I still program and design with the wireless keyboard and mouse.

With MainLobby, you install the Server on a PC, and the client software on that PC or any other on the LAN or Internet.
You can use it on a desktop just as well as a touchscreen.
wireless or ethernet wired.

Quick vernacular clarification, as a disconnect there is too often the case when evaluating packages:

I believe what ML calls a "Server" is what CQC calls a "Master Server". That's the main box you want everything to run on. When you run the install program on each box, you tell it whether to "install the master server here" or "enter the name of the master server".

If you want other boxes also controlling stuff [ie, i've got some equipment in another room hooked up via RS232, I want that part of the mix as well], that's cool too, any box that's controlling something can be a server. In the install, a few screens later is the "Install CQCServer" option.

Dean can answer with truth, but to me the reason is: The MasterServer is meant to be a box that's up 24x7 [or darn close]. Other "server" boxes can be down, you just won't be able to use the devices connected to that.

DavidL: Does ML have a Master Server concept, or is it that you install (MLServer? Man it's been months since I touched that) on any box and clients automagically know where to go.

The MainLobby 3 Server is the software that coordinates all activity. The software plugins, the database of variables, the automation event logic, etc. handling is done with MLServer.

The MainLobby client / designer is the Flash side of the suite which is what you interact with and see as an end user.

You can also install other "secondary" MLServer instances (subject to licensing) that is typically used for when there are multiple, but seperated hardware locations that a PC should control. The commands are "redirected" from Primary MLServer to secondary MLServer. Same software on both.

Yes, the MLServer PC should be running all the time. You could also shutdown the secondary MLServer if that equipment isn't used all the time (like a theater room possibly). This shutdown / restart can be done via a command from a client or timed by the automation logic in the remaining MLServer.

So I understand - is Homeseer a prerequisite to use MainLobby? I have no need for any HS functionality... I do everything I need in my current setup.

bfisher said:
So I understand - is Homeseer a prerequisite to use MainLobby? I have no need for any HS functionality... I do everything I need in my current setup.
NO. I'm pretty sure DavidL is trying to make it clear that MainLobby is a complete, self-contained automation package. It can also act as the front end for other programs such as Homeseer, but it works just fine by itself.

upstatemike said:
bfisher said:
So I understand - is Homeseer a prerequisite to use MainLobby?  I have no need for any HS functionality... I do everything I need in my current setup.
NO. I'm pretty sure DavidL is trying to make it clear that MainLobby is a complete, self-contained automation package. It can also act as the front end for other programs such as Homeseer, but it works just fine by itself.
This statement comes with some caveats. MainLobby can be used as an automation front end, but you have to make sure they have the drivers for your hardware (i.e. can support your hardware directly).

In my case, I have a Caddx NX8e security system and some analog to digital converters, plus an Ocelot with expansion modules. I'm not sure MainLobby can support those directly. Plus I'll let David speak on support for the NetCallerID device, CM19a (used for my Ninja Pan & Tilt), plus my WGL-W800 RF receiver (hmm, they might have support for this, just not sure).

So I use HomeSeer as the interface for ALL of my hardware and then transfer (two-way) all of HomeSeer's device values to MLServer via the MLHSPlugin.

This works great and lets me get nice looking interface screens that are networkable and can be done very quickly with very minimal programming.

Another thing MainLobby brings to the table for me is a Music Interface and other nice features that can be done natively.

I think that ANY software system needs to be selected based on the hardware you plan on having it support. If you have only a few "common" items that MainLobby can supply drivers for, then you can probably use it without HomeSeer.

What about using ML as a front end for Homeseer AND offloading some tasks to the ML rules engine? Any potential benefit? Any downside?

upstatemike said:
What about using ML as a front end for Homeseer AND offloading some tasks to the ML rules engine? Any potential benefit? Any downside?
I don't see any problems with this as long as the two components are not connected to the same hardware at the same time.

Also, let me point out that my choice is based on what I'm used to and what is easy for me. I like the fact that HomeSeer has VB scripting capability so when I do get say a new serial based toy (such as the sonic sensor I'm playing around with today) I can control it and monitor it via a script. In other words I don't have to wait for someone to write a software driver for it (as long as it's a simple interface, which this is). This is similar to the way I connected and played around with my PHAnderson Analog to Digital board as well.

ML3 is coming out and I haven't played around with it yet, so a lot of the "new" capability of MainLobby is unknown to me at this time.

None of the automation software packages support all hardware. With MainLobby and it's open to integrate design and philosophy, if Homeseer has device drivers you need, then you can integrate HS with MainLobby. MainLobby has many drivers that Homeseer doesn't have.

There is a W800RF plugin. NetCallerID is a discontinued product, but a nice product (I use it). No Ocelot support today. There isn't a Caddx security panel plugin now.

BTW, MainLobby also supports DIY developers that want to develop their own plugins. email Cinemar for details.

Yes, you can use MainLobby3 completely standalone, much like Homeseer can also be used standalone. MainLobby 3 Server has a complete automation event software engine for drop down selection of automation events - timed and on event.

Back