(Elk) double zone trigger

mustangcoupe

I decided to take NextAlarm up on their free offer so I set it all up and then while still in test mode (like it matters with the free service) I opened a mu front door (zone 2) which is programed as type 03 per inst....

Log as follows

Sun 11/12/2006 09:20 1003=Burglar Alarm, Any Area Kitchen Door (Zn 1)
Sun 11/12/2006 09:20 1003=Burglar Alarm, Any Area Front Door (Zn 2)

Kitchen door was never opened

control Firmware is at ver. 4.4.2

Update to version 4.4.4.

There was an issue of when an entrance/exit delay door caused an alarm, the next entrance/exit delay door would also be put in the log. No operational problem, but sometimes confusing. Version 4.4.4 fixes the problem.

When updating to 4.4.4, click off and back on the United States in the Global Miscellaneous international telephone settings.

There is still a problem in 4.4.4. A motion set off an alarm and the front door entry/exit was logged also.

I/m running on 4.4.4 and having similar problem as author RFDESQ. I really think Elk needs to thoroughly go thru this issue on their next update. IIRC this issue was brought up prior to latest firmware release and this 4.4.4 was suppose to fix these type of problems but again not all fix. This creates quite a bit of confusion.

I love my M1 except this annoying problem.

tuantu said:
I/m running on 4.4.4 and having similar problem as author RFDESQ.
This happened again last night with firmware 4.4.4. Here is the log from NextAlarm:

Nov 18, 2006 06:03:09 PM External Siren 2 Restored
Nov 18, 2006 05:59:55 PM External Siren 2 Failure
Nov 18, 2006 05:59:52 PM External Siren 2 Restored
Nov 18, 2006 05:56:36 PM External Siren 2 Failure
Nov 18, 2006 05:56:34 PM Perimeter Violation Front Door - ***** (Zone 1)
Nov 18, 2006 05:56:29 PM Interior Violation Master Bedroom Motion - ***** (Zone 5)
Nov 18, 2006 04:02:48 PM Periodic Test Report

This double zone reporting really needs to get fixed. I'm starting a new thread/poll regarding the Siren failures.

I can't address the siren failure, but a very common cause of double reporting is the system calling both the primary and backup number to report all signals (i.e. the backup number is acting not as a backup, but is receiving all reports even if the first number works). If you open a service ticket, we can determine that for sure as we can see if the signals are coming in one call or two. If the system calls us twice to report the same signals, that's a good sign that it's calling the backup number.

Dan

Dan:

This extra zone reporting is an ELK glitch not a NextAlarm glitch. One zone causes an alarm and another zone is reported along with the original zone. I did have a self generated oops but the NextAlarm technician alerted me to it. I was occasionally reporting 4/2 instead of Contact ID. I discovered that the primary number was 4/2 and the backup was Contact ID. I fixed the oops and everything is working now.

Dan,

I agree it seems to be an elk glitch.... I only opened one door and two zones show up as triggered in my logs (elk and NA)

I have been looking into the logging reported above.

This is what I have found that may explain part of it.

If entering a premise through a delay door, the entrance timer is started. If another zone is triggered that causes an immediate alarm, the first sensor to activate the alarm is logged along with any zones where the entrance timer is active. This logging is to give the central station a record of all zones violated at or before the alarm activation.

Using the newest M1 software version 4.4.6 which is about to release, I have not been able to duplicate the logging of an entry zone that has not been violated. If anyone discovers an exact pattern where this happens, let me know.

Thanks for your input.

Spanky said:
If anyone discovers an exact pattern where this happens, let me know.
Spanky:

This has happened to one of my customers twice. First time the cat, as in feline, set off the master bedroom PIR. ELK panel showed master PIR and front door. Front door was never violated. Second time the dog, as in canine, set off the master bedroom PIR. ELK panel showed master PIR and front door. Front door was never violated. Master bedroom PIR is burglar interior and front door is entry/exit delay. See my previous posts on this subject. Thanks.

Spanky

I have the same issue as author RFDESQ, however, I cannot duplicate the problem every time. At one time I exported my file to Tech Support and Brad stated he'd look into it and get back to me but never did. If this happens again do you want me or any cocoon member to email you directly.

I also have this problem if a Cat violates a Pet Immune PIR on a rare occasion (then teh front door shows it tripped when it didnt). I would guess that the soon to be released firmware will fix the issue. SInce I am not on a CS yet its no big deal to me so I didnt complain.

Nobody's firmware is perfect all of the time. With the complexity of the systems as they evolve there will be bugs. Some more stubborn then others. At least we can flash our panels. Some systems would require a service call etc.

Spanky said:
If entering a premise through a delay door, the entrance timer is started. If another zone is triggered that causes an immediate alarm, the first sensor to activate the alarm is logged along with any zones where the entrance timer is active. This logging is to give the central station a record of all zones violated at or before the alarm activation.
This is NOT the problem I am having though... I was testing next alarm so I armed the system and then opened a non delay zone. this triggered the alarm immediately. so when I looked in the log it showed 2 zoned violated. but only one was actually violated. the other door remained closed all the time!

I will repeat the situation again this weekend to verify it.

Back