ELK Function Key Rule

opie

For some reason I am having trouble figuring this one out.

I need to be able to have the F4 key on the ELK M1 Keypad silence alarms other than burglar without entering a user code.

The scenario is the Fire Department gets called out for a false (or real) fire alarm and wants to be able to silence the alarm without having to know a code or find the main panel. All I have come up with so far is to turn off outputs 1 & 2 when F4 is pressed and Fire Alarm is active. I would then not have voice announcements on output 1 which I would like to still have. What am I missing here? There must be a way to do this. It would be nice to do this for freeze and water alarms too but at least the cutoff is shorter for those.

Any ideas are welcome.

Scott

Program the key Activates Event as a disarm only key function "29 - Momentary Key Disarm" from the keypad function key programming.

I need to be able to have the F4 key on the ELK M1 Keypad silence alarms other than burglar without entering a user code.

The scenario is the Fire Department gets called out for a false (or real) fire alarm and wants to be able to silence the alarm without having to know a code or find the main panel. All I have come up with so far is to turn off outputs 1 & 2 when F4 is pressed and Fire Alarm is active. I would then not have voice announcements on output 1 which I would like to still have. What am I missing here? There must be a way to do this. It would be nice to do this for freeze and water alarms too but at least the cutoff is shorter for those.

Any ideas are welcome.

Scott

I am surprised that the F.D. is asking for that. The NFPA requires a key or a code to be used to silence a fire alarm. I cant remember the paragraph but I can look it up at work on Tuesday if you need it.

Personally I dont see a problem with someone having the ability to silence an alarm in a residential application but most alarm panels are not really designed to do that because of the NFPA requirements.

Any ideas are welcome.

Scott

I am surprised that the F.D. is asking for that. The NFPA requires a key or a code to be used to silence a fire alarm. I cant remember the paragraph but I can look it up at work on Tuesday if you need it.

Personally I dont see a problem with someone having the ability to silence an alarm in a residential application but most alarm panels are not really designed to do that because of the NFPA requirements.

This is not a jurisdiction that I have worked in before and thought it was a strange requirement. A key would also be acceptable to them but I didn't plan that into the system and it would be difficult to retrofit one.

I do not think you can keep the voice announcements for fire going and turn off the siren with a function key or anything else. You would have to turn off the fire alarm and then start a voice message to only have the voice.

Any ideas are welcome.

Scott

Couldn't you run the siren output through another relay and write a rule that only allows the f-key to open the relay if there is a fire alarm?

Brian

Output 1 on the M1 sounds the temporal fire alarm for about 10 seconds, then speaks a voice fire alarm message to leave the premise. It then repeats over and over with siren then voice.

Output 1 on the M1 sounds the temporal fire alarm for about 10 seconds, then speaks a voice fire alarm message to leave the premise. It then repeats over and over with siren then voice.

So you could do it, if you toggled the relay at the correct frequnecy :(

Brian

There is an amplifier turned on Event, but not a voice or siren only event that could trigger when to limit the siren output.

Easiest way to have voice only after a fire alarm is to start a repeating voice message with a Rule that is cleared when the code is entered again.

There is an amplifier turned on Event, but not a voice or siren only event that could trigger when to limit the siren output.

Easiest way to have voice only after a fire alarm is to start a repeating voice message with a Rule that is cleared when the code is entered again.

I was looking at that last night for the heck of it and did not see how to constantly repeat a message such as what zone is violated. I figured the rule could be once the siren times out at 4 mins (or whatever time is specified) that the voice announcement repeats every 30 seconds until a function key is pressed etc.

Back