Elk IP232 Questions

upstatemike

I have been reading up some on the Elk IP232 module but still have some questions that could maybe be answered by somebody who is already using one?

1- What all can you connect to this thing? Can I use it to connect PowerHome or Homeseer to serial devices such as a W800RF32A, an Insteon serial PLC, a CM11A, a weather station interface, a Stargate, or an Ocelot?

2- The documentation describes support for multiple sessions. Could both Homeseer and PowerHome (running on separate PCs) access a device such as a W800RF32A at the same time via the IP232?

3- I see on the IP232 page that there is a link for some free software to set up the virtual com port on the PC side. Can you run multiple intances of this to set up several virtual com ports if you have more than 1 device each on it's own IP232? Example: If I have 4 netcaller ID boxes on 4 phone lines, can I connect each one to its own IP232 and then create 4 virtual com ports on my PowerHome or Homeseer PC to receive the caller ID info?

I have been reading up some on the Elk IP232 module but still have some questions that could maybe be answered by somebody who is already using one?

1- What all can you connect to this thing? Can I use it to connect PowerHome or Homeseer to serial devices such as a W800RF32A, an Insteon serial PLC, a CM11A, a weather station interface, a Stargate, or an Ocelot?

2- The documentation describes support for multiple sessions. Could both Homeseer and PowerHome (running on separate PCs) access a device such as a W800RF32A at the same time via the IP232?

3- I see on the IP232 page that there is a link for some free software to set up the virtual com port on the PC side. Can you run multiple intances of this to set up several virtual com ports if you have more than 1 device each on it's own IP232? Example: If I have 4 netcaller ID boxes on 4 phone lines, can I connect each one to its own IP232 and then create 4 virtual com ports on my PowerHome or Homeseer PC to receive the caller ID info?

Come on Mike!!! You know you should have asked me first.

1- You can connect ANYTHING to this thing. I have my Stargate on Com1 connected to the ip232 so that PH, ELK, and my laptop can connect to the com port at the same time running multiple applications. I've even used the IP232 to connect to a Panasonic PBX phone system interface. I just have to telnet to the ip port without a computer (for remote configuration)

2 - YES, 12 IP sockets

3 - PM me directly for a great SerialIP/COM program.

-=*Sharby*=-

The IP232 Ethernet to RS-232 Module allows for upto 12 Ethernet socket connections at one time. If any socket connection sends data, it is passed through to the RS-232 port. If any RS-232 data is sent to the IP232, it is passed to all socket connections. The data will be exactly what is normally sent by the RS-232 port.

The IP232 Ethernet to RS-232 Module allows for upto 12 Ethernet socket connections at one time. If any socket connection sends data, it is passed through to the RS-232 port. If any RS-232 data is sent to the IP232, it is passed to all socket connections. The data will be exactly what is normally sent by the RS-232 port.

Very cool! I'm thinking my days of dedicated serial connections between devices and controllers is over. Along with IP cameras, IP touch screens, and IP music distribution (and eventually IP video distribution) this fits nicely into my overall strategy of using my network as the backbone for all of my systems.

Only stumbling block is USB devices... no cheap IP converters and terrible cable distance specs. Any chance of Elk coming out with an IP-USB unit?

There is a USB to IP converter for use up to 100 feet. It was like $20 shipped. I was looking at it recently but have not tried it myself. At $20 it is a reasonable solution for short distances.

I have the link stored at home. I don't remember where I originally saw the reference (not sure if it came up here or not). I'll try to post it later.

There is a USB to IP converter for use up to 100 feet. It was like $20 shipped. I was looking at it recently but have not tried it myself. At $20 it is a reasonable solution for short distances.

I have the link stored at home. I don't remember where I originally saw the reference (not sure if it came up here or not). I'll try to post it later.

Sounds like it was a USB to CAT5 type extender. I'm looking for a network attached USB hub. similiar to this or this only without the sticker shock.

Yes it was usb to rj45. I see what you want. It seems regardless the link I was referencing is on a computer I had to rma the motherboard so it will be a bit before I get the reference up here.

Coming soon: A software upgrade for the IP232 which can make it a Client or Server. The Client mode will allow you to originate a connection from a device.

Coming soon: A software upgrade for the IP232 which can make it a Client or Server. The Client mode will allow you to originate a connection from a device.

My IP232 just arrived yesterday so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.... But are you saying I can get a second one and have two serial devices talk to each other? Could I put one on an M1XSP and another one on a W800RF32 and let my existing ethernet infrastructure provide the serial link between the M1 in the basement and the RF receiver in the attic?

Yes, in the near future you will be able to establish a virtual serial port between two IP232's. One IP232 is the Client which will start the connection and the other IP232 is the server.

Yes, in the near future you will be able to establish a virtual serial port between two IP232's. One IP232 is the Client which will start the connection and the other IP232 is the server.

Will it be possible to to use 2 IP232 clients with 1 IP232 server? In other words, can I have 2 different devices connected to IP232 clients sending ascii to a single IP232 server?

Back