Elk M1EZ8 and 48 zone wireless expander

mdonovan

Hello everyone -

I was directed to post this question here because you are all so helpful. I was planning to buy an Elk M1EZ8 and add the 48 zone wireless expansion module (http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php?productid=630&cat=159&page=1). In posting a question about Homeseer support for this configuration I was told that Elk strongly recommends NOT using the expansion module. Can someone here please explain if this is still the case, and if so, why?

If I can't get at least 48 wireless zones on an elk I'll need to start researching another security/automation system.

Thanks a lot for any help :)

Matt

I use the 48 zone without any issues.

This is the first I've heard of them not recommending it.

I only use about 3-4 zones but wanted as much expansion as possible.

I do not know of any reason not to use the 48 zone GE Caddx NX-448 wireless expander. It works great.

Sounds like someone is confused. You can also add hardwired zone expanders to the M1 up to a total of 208 zones on the system. :)

I've never heard them say not to use it either. It is right in their docs that it supports it. There was a thread about the 8 port card and some poeple having trouble registering it, but haven't heard of any issues with 16 or 48 port card.

Hi Brian -

That was a fast reply. I hadn't seen anything about them not recommending it either, but when I posted my question on the Homeseer board someone responded and told me that. Since you're using it without any trouble I'll assume the Elk will work for me.

Matt,

I saw the thread at Homeseer (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=109944) and just wanted to let you know if it was the Elk plugin for Homeseer you were referring to if you haven't purchased it yet you may just want to look at Electrons (The CT grand poobah) FREE my.elk script for Homeseer. You can find info on it here.

Hi Steve -

Actually, I have downloaded the My.Elk script, but I haven't looked at it in great detail yet. I don't quite understand the advantages/disadvantages to using a script over a plug-in with HomeSeer. I figure that will become clearer as I do my homework. :)

But if it was done by the Grand Poobah himself I'm sure it's worth taking a good look at :)

Thanks for your response

Matt

Yes, E made a great script with few more features then the paid version.

Elk regardless is a great product I switched a customer from an HAI today. :)

Steve said:
I've never heard them say not to use it either. It is right in their docs that it supports it. There was a thread about the 8 port card and some poeple having trouble registering it, but haven't heard of any issues with 16 or 48 port card.
I don't recall a registration issue with the 8 port card, but I do recall that one person was upset with it. Even though it only has 8 wireless zones, it consumed a whole bank of 16 zones, so he felt that you were "losing" 8 zones in the process. Technically that is right, but unless you were planning on using all 208 zones, losing 8 is no big deal.

mdonovan said:
If I can't get at least 48 wireless zones on an elk I'll need to start researching another security/automation system.
AFAIK, you are limited to one wireless unit, so if you really need more that 48 wireless zones, make sure you verify things first.

Back