Elk M1G & On-Q inQuire Intercom

I'm trying to get an M1G to speak (from Output 1) through an On-Q/Greyfox inQuire Cat-5 based intercom system. The beauty of this would be that the voice prompts emitted from the M1G would be distributed nicely throughout the house via the existing intercom system. I realize I can add external speakers to Output 1 on the M1G to accomplish the same thing, but using the existing intercom system would be a cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing option.

I called On-Q and they gave me the pin-outs to the intercom system and I am able to easily use my tone generator to put a tone on the intercom speakers. Yet when I hook the intercom speakers to Output 1 on the M1G I get an expansion module failure within 30 seconds or so. I checked to see if the intercom was passing voltage back over the speaker wires and there is none.

My guess is that there is an impedance problem. The intercom system uses a standard 8 Ohm speaker but when I take the reading off the intercom distribution module that I'm trying to tie into I get a reading of 10.1K Ohms.

Any suggestions on how I can make this work?

Are you sure your intercom does not require a pre-amp input? Might be you are trying to parallel the connections.

Anyway, THIS post might interest you or give you some ideas.

If your intercom can use the full 8 ohm output, use only one side of Output 1 and the other side to negative. Probably what you are seeing is the negative side of the intercom is connected to Output 1's drive side causing a short to negative.

ie: One side of output 1 to intercom's audio input. M1 negative to intercom negative.

If you have to reduce the voltage level of output 1, try a 10K resistor from one side of output 1 to intercom audio input and a 1K resistor from the intercom side of the 10K resistor to negative. This will give a 10 to 1 reduction in audio voltage which will now be around one volt.

Let us know if it works.

I contacted On-Q as well for the exact same purposes, but they told me it was not possible and would void the warrenty if I tampered with it.

I am going to be installing the same OnQ Intercom system in the next few weeks. I also have an M1, and would love to be able to use the intercom speakers for announcements. However, I was under the thinking that this had not been able to be done.

So I am greatly anticipating your results!

Keep us informed!

This is the exact reply I received from OnQ-Legrand:

Unfortunately you cannot use the speakers in the intercom system for this purpose. The speakers are ties into the Intercom functions and if you try to use them with another application, you sacrifice the unit functionality. There is an alarm verification module (part number 363441-01) you can add to the HAI system that will activate voice annunciation and you can tie your own speakers into the system. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again. Thanks!
What I ended up doing is deciding not to interface the Elk with the intercom system, but instead use voice annunciations from CQC into the whole home audio system. I haven't implemented this but it is my current plan.

So any new updates about how this is going? I am installing my OnQ Intercom system right now, so Ia m curious as to whether you were able to get this working. Thanks!

Looks like our friend has gone MIA.

If you have not completed this project, could you just let us know? Also, if it would be possible to post the pin-outs you receieved. That would be great!

Thanks!

Okay guys, sorry for the long absence; been busy with CUSTOMER'S projects and haven't had time for my own.

The On-Q pinouts are listed at the end of this message. Although I still haven't attempted to finalize this project, I believe the answer will be to use a speaker-level to line-level converter (or use the appropriate resistors as described earlier in this thread) from Output 1 on the Elk. Install an RJ-45 on one end of a Cat-5 (which gets plugged into an empty room station port on the On-Q intercom module) and then connect the Orange (+) and Blue (-) to the line level output on the converter which is receiving the signal from Output 1 of the Elk. In addition, connect the Brown/White to an N/O output that closes while messages are annunciated from the Elk. If you want messages to be broadwast through the door station speakers then you need to use the Brown instead of the Brown/White.

This is my working theory, although I have yet to hook it up. If anyone beats me to the punch then please post your findings here. Thanks.

George

Intercom Pin-outs
Pin# Color Use
1 Blue/White Audio In (Speaker)
2 Blue Ground
3 Orange/White Power
4 Orange Audio Out (Microphone)
5 Green/White Relay (changing from Mic to Speaker)
6 Green Monitor
7 Brown/White Talk Button
8 Brown Door Button

Door Unit (same as above except)
6 Green Not Used
7 Brown/White Not Used
8 Brown Door Chime activation (when doorbell button is pressed)

Main Console Unit
Main 1 Cable (if not connected then LED Panel will not work)
1 Blue/White Hands Free LED
2 Blue Ground
3 Orange/White Power
4 Orange Hands Free Button
5 Green/White Strobe for LEDs
6 Green Data for LEDs
7 Brown/White Clock Line (For LED status lights)
8 Brown Not Used

Main 2 Cable (communication will still work if only this cable is connected)
1 Blue/White Audio In (Speaker)
2 Blue Ground
3 Orange/White Power
4 Orange Audio Out (Microphone)
5 Green/White Relay (changing from Mic to Speaker)
6 Green Door Release
7 Brown/White Talk Button
8 Brown Door Button

Alright, I set aside the things I should be doing today to do the one thing I've wanted to do forseveral weeks now and voila!, I now have my Elk M1G passing voice from Output 1 through my On-Q intercom system.

I wired it just as described in my previous post. I ran the Brown wire from the On-Q to an output which is programmed to close for 5 second whenever the audio amplified is turned on:

WHENEVER AUDIO AMPLIFIER STATUS TURNS ON
THEN TURN Voice / Intercom (Out 22) ON FOR 5 SECS

The reason I used the Brown wire instead of the Brown/White is so the audible confirmation for armings and disarmings can be heard outside from the exterior front door intercom station. My house has access control on all the entry doors which lock/unlock when the alarm is armed/disarmed from an exterior proximity reader.

I gave a prox-tag to my neighbor so he can feed my family's animals when we go on vacation. I used to worry that he couldn't hear the arming confirmation when standing outside the home, and since he isn't very familiar with my alarm system, it might be easy for him to accidentally leave the house unlocked and unarmed. Now, with Output 1 being distributed through the house and even outside the front door, anyone who arms the house can hear an audible confirmation. This is also great feature for when you're walking away from the house and arm with a remote keyfob.

The "cool effect" of the M1G just went up another level in my book!

George

Armor Clad said:
Alright, I set aside the things I should be doing today to do the one thing I've wanted to do forseveral weeks now and voila!, I now have my Elk M1G passing voice from Output 1 through my On-Q intercom system.

I wired it just as described in my previous post. I ran the Brown wire from the On-Q to an output which is programmed to close for 5 second whenever the audio amplified is turned on:

WHENEVER AUDIO AMPLIFIER STATUS TURNS ON
THEN TURN Voice / Intercom (Out 22) ON FOR 5 SECS

The reason I used the Brown wire instead of the Brown/White is so the audible confirmation for armings and disarmings can be heard outside from the exterior front door intercom station. My house has access control on all the entry doors which lock/unlock when the alarm is armed/disarmed from an exterior proximity reader.

I gave a prox-tag to my neighbor so he can feed my family's animals when we go on vacation. I used to worry that he couldn't hear the arming confirmation when standing outside the home, and since he isn't very familiar with my alarm system, it might be easy for him to accidentally leave the house unlocked and unarmed. Now, with Output 1 being distributed through the house and even outside the front door, anyone who arms the house can hear an audible confirmation. This is also great feature for when you're walking away from the house and arm with a remote keyfob.

The "cool effect" of the M1G just went up another level in my book!

George
Can you list the On-Q intercom model that you have used?

Thanks and regards,

Fleetz

Back