ElkRP2 communication rejected

Trioxide

Been using my Elk Gold since 2008 and been working find. Tried to connect today with ElkRP2, which I have been using for awhile with no problems, and getting an error: "Disconnected: System rejected the Remote Programming Access Code." I can arm and disarm the system fine with the keypad. Have tried the default RP Access Code and that doesn't work either. Turned Elk off and on didn't help either. Using serial communications in Windows XP. Please help.

Thanks.

This happened to me recently too. Oddly, my ELK seemed to be communicating with my ISY just find. All I had to do is unplug the M1XEP and reboot that device. I was able to log right in after that.

[sub]Okay, so I did as you suggested and shutdown both my computer and Elk and disconnected the serial cable. Then I powered both on and reconnected the serial cable. And it works, sort of. I still can't connect to it with ElkRP2, still getting the same error, but I can connect to it with CQC. CQC is a home automation software package and it has a driver to the Elk so I can know what is happening. That is working, which wasn't before either. So the problem now is just with ElkRP2 connecting to the Elk Gold M1 via serial. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.[/sub]

Have you tried using a blank template to attempt connecting?

Reinstall RP or update to newer version?

I think if you can't get in with the RP code or default, I think you're stuck and there's no back door.

Only item I can think of is a corrupted DB or RP installation.

Tried blank template with same results. Can't be bad install as I have had this version for a long time and not changed it or upgraded my Elk. So I guess it could be a corrupt database. Using Elk RP ver 2.0.14. M1G Control ver 5.0.14.0. What is the default code for the RP Access Code?
I can't update the firmware as I can't make a connection but will try to install the updated software on my computer, ver 2.0.16.

Default RP is 246801

Are you using a USB serial port adapter or straight serial port?

Tried the default RP and this code gives the same error. I am using a straight serial port off a add-on card. Tried connecting to the serial port off the motherboard and got the same error msg. Why is my CQC program able to get information from Elk but I can not log in to it via RP2?

Maybe I'd try taking a copy of RP's databases and put them on a thumb drive and then purge RP from the computer and reinstall, then try pulling the data in to a default account on a fresh install of RP.

Worst case scenario you can still sync the databases from the drive back onto the computer.

Okay so did as you suggested and when I tried to reinstall Elk RP2 it says "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel." No matter what I do now, even if I try to remove the program, I get this msg. Pls help.

It's a long shot that any of this will solve your problem, but try starting the PC in the safe mode and then using Add/Remove Programs. If this doesn't work, then you most likely have a process or service running which is preventing removal. Figuring that out is just too difficult to describe in this forum and you will need to see a professional.

Not not been successful in reinstalling RP2 without the error msg and still can not communicate with Elk through RP2, but CQC is still getting information from Elk. Anybody have any other suggestions as I need to get this fixed so I can make changes and add sensors.

Thanks

Try downloading and running CCleaner....this will flush bad entries from the windows registry.

If that doesn't work and you are familiar with editing the windows registry, start regeidt and do a search on "ElkRP2' and remove associated entries then try to reload. If you are not familiar with REGEDIT, don't do it as you can kill windows real easy.

Another thing to check is task manager and see if ElkRP2 is already running under processes, if so, highlight it and click end process, then try to re-install.

John

Back