ELO TOUCHSCREEN ET1545L-8SWC-1-IBM2 15" LCD

jwilson56

There are a bunch of ELO's on Ebay at the moment. They come with the front bezel and Buy It Now for $85

ELO TOUCHSCREEN ET1545L-8SWC-1-IBM2 15" LCD

THIS SCREEN WAS REMOVED FROM A PHOTO KIOSK AND THE WHITE BEZEL IS EASILY REMOVED WITH SEVERAL SCREWS. I AM LEAVING THE BEZEL ON FOR MORE PROTECTION IN SHIPPING. THESE ARE SERIAL CONNECTION AND GLASS SURFACE.

TESTED AND WORKING.

GUARANTEED NO D.O.A.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELO-TOUCHSCREEN-ET1545...93%3A1|294%3A50

And you can buy with confidence from hitech-assets. They replaced a faulty USB ELO touchscreen I bought from them with no hassle at all.

How much added complexity does the serial interface rather than USB add? It's been quite a while since the days of serial mice - I'm not sure how much of a pain it is to make this work with a modern OS. Are most of you ELO'ites using serial or USB versions?

No added complexity at all. The ELO drivers work for serial or for USB, so as far as using a touchscreen as input to a PC, there is no difference between the two. The only difference would be that most recent PC's don't even have a serial port on the back.

The reason I prefer serial over USB is because it will travel a lot farther over regular wire (cat5), so I don't have to worry about distance from the screen to the PC as much.

This is the same unit that graces my kitchen wall. Drivers are downloadable from ELO's site. I have the serial version and it is connected via an EdgePort/8 (USB-to-8-port-Serial converter).

Distance between the ELO and the PC is only ten feet so a vanilla USB connection was also feasible. However, I picked it up for CDN$80 all-in so I wasn't going to be choosy about the interface.

I retained the plastic bezel because I wanted a molded hi-tech' look as opposed to a picture-frame. I used rubbing compound to remove the logo and then spray-painted it gloss white. Toughest part was building a backer-board and frame to hold it place on the wall. Looks good in the kitchen and, most importantly, scores high on the WAF scale.

No added complexity at all. The ELO drivers work for serial or for USB, so as far as using a touchscreen as input to a PC, there is no difference between the two. The only difference would be that most recent PC's don't even have a serial port on the back.

The reason I prefer serial over USB is because it will travel a lot farther over regular wire (cat5), so I don't have to worry about distance from the screen to the PC as much.

Yep, I'm all for serial due to the distance limitations (or lack thereof). Most of my old clients will have a serial port, but if not that's easily remedied with an adapter.

Thanks for the info!

I saw those, but for my application I'd prefer the extendability of serial and the mounting style of the other versions. Thanks for the info though.

I have a couple on the way so I'll see how they work.

I saw those, but for my application I'd prefer the extendability of serial and the mounting style of the other versions. Thanks for the info though.

I have a couple on the way so I'll see how they work.

Still debating which would work best for me, need another touchscreen for the kitchen and one for the basement. Also have a friend who wants me to build him an mp3 jukebox. hmm maybe I should see if they have any discounts if I buy by the pallet.

So did anyone have any problems with these? How about any problems with the touch part?

Anyone using it with CQC?

It should work with CQC fine as its just a touchscreen monitor. I bought one last fall and the touchscreen didn't work and he gave me a full refund. I would hope that would happen again if someone got a bad one.

I'm using an ELO 15" in the kitchen and I think it's about 102% responsible for the high WAF's I enjoy. I will say, however, that it can be very difficult to touch items on the VERY EDGE of the screen. With CQC interfaces, that's not ever a problem...but if you use anything in windows, it can be a bother (such as the status bar on the bottom right).

But otherwise, I have 2 more ELO's in boxes, waiting to be installed and used. They're very responsive and look great. And you can't go wrong with hi-tech assets. I got a USB touchscreen from them where the screen was fine, but the touch function did not work. No problem, they sent me a replacement screen. Very pleased.

Do you drive each one of these off their own computer?
Obviously, most computers support two monitors, but is there a good solution to drive 5 or so off of one PC?

I've never heard of 5. Betwin software is one of the few means I've heard of for even driving two, since things like CQC would require their own instance in order to operate normally with the interface viewer.

Otherwise, each ELO would require its own computer. The kitchen touchscreen is driven by the CQC server, which is on all the time anyway, so no big deal. The other two touchscreens will be driven by HP thin clients.

Back