Premise flac playback?

Motorola Premise

bcg27

I just watched the mSense instructional video and was really impressed so I've been trying to get it working. I have all my music ripped on a hard drive primarily in .flac format, but some in .mp3. I added the directory and after adding the .flac extension premise recognized all my files. My problem is that the mp3s play fine but when I try to play a flac file no luck. The player just kind of quickly runs through all the flac files in a given folder and then stops without playing anything. Can premise do flac files or do I need to use an external player?

Also in the video on the DirecTV device it showed as having a service provider field under the tv tuner section of the device that you can associate with a content provider from media. I am using a PVR for my cable box and I don't see that option under tuner. I also tried adding a satellite box just to see if it was under there and I didn't see it either. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help I realize I have been asking a lot of questions

Edit: Now that I tried a few more files not all mp3s work

I just watched the mSense instructional video and was really impressed so I've been trying to get it working. I have all my music ripped on a hard drive primarily in .flac format, but some in .mp3. I added the directory and after adding the .flac extension premise recognized all my files. My problem is that the mp3s play fine but when I try to play a flac file no luck. The player just kind of quickly runs through all the flac files in a given folder and then stops without playing anything. Can premise do flac files or do I need to use an external player?

Do the .flac files play in windows media player? If not have you added the decoders for .flac playback? i think I used decoders from this website http://www.xiph.org/.
And by the way Premise can play .flac and other formats if you have the proper decoders.

Premise uses Windows Media Player (WMP) to render media. If you can't play FLAC in WMP then you wont be able to play it in Premise either. Ensure you have the appropriate audio codec installed in order to play FLAC in WMP. Then ensure you have the latest DirectX drivers installed. I went through a similar process trying to get Premise to play M4A files. I installed a free codec from Orban (not sure it is free anymore) and WMP played M4A files but Premise did not. Upgraded DirectX and then Premise played M4A.

For the MP3 issue, maybe this post is relevant.

Whoops, looks like Waynedb beat me to the post.

Awesome thanks I thought that might be the case. I typically use winamp or foobar for playback so I don't usually need to worry about additional codecs.

I had some .flacs that I wanted to play thru Premise, without converting to mp3...of course, out of the box SYS doesn't recognize flacs - so that was easy by adding .flac to the extensions under Media. The second part was more challenging in that WMP doesn't play .flacs. If it doesn't play in WMP, it won't play in Premise....

Following Waynedb's trail, if you go to to http://xiph.org/dshow/downloads/ you'll find the codecs for Win32/64. Also provides OGGs, WebMs in addition to .flacs.

I forgot how much better .flacs sound then mp3s....

Back