Furnace Filter Change

TonyNo

Before I put my new thermostat online, the old one had a Change Filter notification which toggled at 400 hours. Has anyone heard of a different run-time number than that? I'm putting this functionality back into my system now.

Doesn't it all depend on what type of filter you use? If you use like a 1" cheap filter it should be replaced every 30 days whereas something like a 5" pleated filter can get you 9-12 months.

Good question. I am in a ~1900 Sq foot house and have a single zone. It is set up like all the home furnaces I've ever seen with fliters approximately 1/2 inch thick. I use the cheap filters, figuring the expensive ones are probably not worth it.

I don't like changing my filters based on time, but will soon have a way to track run time and have the same question.

I just pull my fanfold filter out and look at it. Plus, I replace every 2 years worst case. I typically run it for 5-6 hours/day max for 4ish months out of the year, so that's 600 hours/year. Although I have to admit, I just replaced it after nearly 3 years/1800hours cuz the dude was out servicing it so I just had him do it. He looked at it and said that it didn't really need to be replaced, but as long as he was here...

It's only $40, so I suppose I could replace it more often. It's just such a boring activity though.

I would imagine if you have pets or some activity that creates dust you would get a much shorter life on the filter.

I bought a washable filter and clean it every couple of months in the winter. Since we have pets it gets full of hair etc.

I guess it's a universal guy-thing to dislike checking/changing filters because I too hate it. I've been toying with the idea of putting a differential pressure (vacuum in this case) sensor pressure behind the filter to sense when it was becoming clogged. I used to work in an industrial setting and almost everything with an air filter had such a device on it. I was thinking about something like this.

Terry

I currently have an old Trion electronic air filter that is acting up. I am thinking of switching over to a 5" pleated version. I have never really cared for the performace of the electronic one anyways. Could anyone recommend a washable 5" pleated filter?

John

Hope this is considered on topic (I can start a new thread if its viewed as not) but I think it would be of interest to Cocooners if some methods of determining "run time" a filter sees would be described in some detail.

For instance, I don't do this but am considering it after reading posts here and over HS land, and that is to place a small piece of carboard with a magnet between the filter and the door so when the furnace is ON the magnet will get sucked into the filter and trip a sensor. Then have a timer start in my Ocelot. When the furnace is off the magnet again trips closed and stops the timer. When the timer gets to a certain number alert Homeseer to make an announcement and email me that the furnace's filter needs changed.

Anyone do something like this? I think it would make a great How-To. I could incorporate Ocelot methodology. If someone else could incorporate Elk programming details, I would list that as well.

Just looking for some ideas. A DS10a implementation comes to mind as I doubt most people have wires running to their furnace filters (though I DID run a pair to my friends three filter intakes for his new house :rolleyes: ).

jwilson56 said:
I currently have an old Trion electronic air filter that is acting up. I am thinking of switching over to a 5" pleated version. I have never really cared for the performace of the electronic one anyways. Could anyone recommend a washable 5" pleated filter?

John
When I changed my AC unit out last year I did a bunch of research and went with the Homeywell F200 5" pleated filter. It is not washable, but my research convinced me washable was not the way to go. This unit has been great so far and I changed the filter only once. It has a built in pressure sensor and remote indicator which makes things real easy. I also bought it from Alpine and had the AC guys throw it in when replacing the air handler.

A DS10a implementation comes to mind
There is a blurb on doing that in the DS10A Uses thread. I think I saw Rupp mention if first.

I am logging run time via info from my X10 thermostat. When it's in Heat mode, and the temp drops below the setpoint, the furnace kicks on. When the temp hits the setpoint, it turns off. Too "bang-bang" for my taste, but it works.

All these are interesting. My solution is very basic. I change it every month and HS was reminding me of that.

For run time? I have temp05 sensors on the return and one on the output. when the temprature difference reaches +/- 10 degrees, I know either the heat is on or the A/C is on. Given the lag before the temp reaches over the 10 degree threshold is offset buy the lag on the off cycle, it take a little while for the Temp05 sensor to reach ambient temp. Crude but works well enough for me.

Joe

Back