Geeks.com P4 for $219

I received mine on Wed. as well.

By the way, despite the geeks site saying "may have scratches, broken bezels, etc.," mine was in pristine condition on the outside. Looked brand-new.

Mine did have a few minor scratches but no big deal; I have it on a rack in the basement anyway.

I haven't noticed any significant noise issues either.

Mine is a little noisy from the PSU fan. There is only one HDD 5 1/4" bay. You would have to take the floppy out and use a 3 1/2" drive. You will need a new ide cable as the one's in there are single drive only. Also the ide cable will need to be longer than normal as the 5 1/4 drive bay is turned 90 degrees from the CD ROM and a normal cable won't reach. I already tried adding a 2nd drive but my ide cable was to short.

Not sure about the PCI card height but they don't look full height.

Ok, here's the deal. It is half-height, but I just got an ATI 9000 Pro to fit in there [actually typing on it now]. Had to cut off the top of the metal slot cover as it was a full-height one.

Graphics quality at 1280x1024 is infinitely better now. Still seems a little crappier than on another PC, but that must be my memory cuz it was this same graphics card.

I was going to put in a 2nd HD, but I noticed:
1) It's a 160W PS. Eeek - gonna run that wattage calculator to see if this has the chops to run more stuff.
2) It would need a PCI card [which i have one], as the CD drive and the current HD each use up a full IDE slot as mentioned above, and they're in such funny orientations you cannot share one. Either that, or find a special cable as Bruce mentions.

Guys, thanks for the tips.

IVB, let us know what your PS math reveals.

Hmm, if I have to add another HDD, Id either opt for a SATA PCI card (since SATA drive are becoming easier to find than PATA now-a-days), or buy the cheap NAS enclosure I mentioned a few posts up (which may be the ceapest/easiest way to go).

Didn't get a chance yet - I got stuck in a total rabbit hole yesterday as I had 2 HDs die b/c of the heat, one of which was part of a RAID1 backup of my "mission-critical" data [financial/legal/email/etc]. Had to quickly clone the other one "just-in-case" and make a redundant backup on another machine.

That said, I can't imagine this thing has the chops to run yet another PCI card plus a HD. I already put an ATI 9000 in mine, which will probably suck up (?? 30-40W??).

I'm thinking an external NAS enclosure that's powered is the way to go.

This is great infomation on these cheap PC's guys. Keep us updated on any upgrades ya'll make or limitations you run into.

Thanks!
--Jamie

BTW, my wife said "man, that new PC is loud."

It's the power supply fan. It's not a mechanical thing either, just seems to run loud. I might measure it out, if it's mATX I *may* get another one. Of course, that kills off the cheapness of this path.

I'm thinking I wouldn't get one if I had to do it all over again, rather get one of those cheap Frey's jobbers.

IVB, it's a real shame yuo got a bad fan in yours. Maybe the fan went bad pre-refurb and when they refurb'd it they put in too powerful of a fan.

You should let geeks.com know. I think, in the last batch, someone got one with the wrong cd/dvd drive or something and geeks.com was very accomidating. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I have mine running Debian linux with KDE. Runs fine. Only problem is I have a DVB card that is full height. I'll have to cut the case to get the anntenna cable connected, can' t put the cover back on properly either. Other than those issue this will run my apps just fine.

Ok, sick of the low-profile/smallform factor of this. I just can't reuse it as a 2nd video renderer, the quality from that ATI 9000 that I jammed in there is just awful.

i'm going to sell this to a coworker who wants a small PC, and get a cheap fullsize one. Anyone know of something along those lines? Refurb is fine.

I'm checking frys/outpost, and cusa, any other leads would be greatly appreciated.

Back