Geofence the wife?

15 kwh a day * 345 * .05 = $250. Yeah I must have rounded a bit much. You can probably count on 20 days of travel a year hence 345 days.

5 cents - NC TOU-D off peak rate. 5.27 cents. 3% tax. 5% energy star house discount. Net 5.15 cents. No separate delivery charge. I do heat some in the peak but most months I have zero net peak usage from the solar PV. The peak rate is just 6.6 anyway. There is a peak demand charge but I can keep heating water off of that. I do that with a 1.2 kw heating element that shuts off from 6-9pm when I peak from running the a/c. In the winter I just heat the top half of the solar tank during off peak times. 

The heat does enter the house reducing heating load in the winter. Adds to the cooling load also but we do wind up spending more on heating than cooling so there is an overall net benefit. I think that is where I got back to $200 but the benefit is not that great.

There is a small benefit to circulating the water on a sunny winter day and someday I'll probably add that in...

She does have a Droid. I do want to set things up in a negative fashion so that if the phone dies or GPS is shut off, the pump runs. I anticipate an order every 5 minutes to shut the pump off for 5 minutes when she is out of range. 

I notice that Honeywell's Lyric thermostat already incorporates geofencing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIHNjDPNxgY

If all you want is a one-off solution, your shortest path might be to  adapt the Lyric to turn on/off your recirc line using Lyric's geofencing instead of on/off your HVAC.   :) The Lyrics are available  in stock and run around $280.

In an iOS environment (thus w/o the Tasker option), would IFTTT Location be the closest equivalent to BSR's solution?

IFTTT can definitely do it - as long as you're not "cloud-phobic".  At the receiving end it could trigger any number of things - one of the easiest being a wemo outlet with a wall wart to a relay wired in where a button might be on the recirc pump.

Back