Going for it

Not exactly martin. Basically they said that they dont have a license that limited. They are going to make one for me though. Currently in order to do that type of work you would need a master electricians license. All the limited licenses are specific to things such as Air Conditioners and Pumps and other untilities that require electrical work. In order to get those licenses you need to work for a master electrician for atleast 4 years instead of 7. The one they are developing for me wouldnt require any work with a master but it would require the Equivalent experience meaning High School Training and college training would be enough. I imagine it would require atleast some hands on experience. So I can just start doing it legally yet but it sounds like I will be able to soon enough. I am imagining it will take a few months to get it through the chain and put into force. Like I said I will check in with them every few months.

The fact that its something cool like Home Automation is why I think they are making an effort. I was shocked when the guys told me they had never heard of RF technology the didnt require the running of additional wires.

Looks like I will legally be limited to Power Line control and RF control. So Insteon and Z-wave will probably be my market.

Martin,

I read in CEpro today that UPB can be used with a number of hardware controllers such as the Omni and a few other popular ones. Can you or anyone here elaborate on how that works. Would I need to run wires to control UPB products or is it RF and Power line controlled?

Right,

The UPB is basically a powerline communication but it's digital instead of analog.

Don't forget that the Elk also works with UPB.

Martin,

Not sure if you were talking about X10 being analog but it is digital as well. If you were talking about something else then I will just go away <_<

Eric

Eric,

You know, you are right - not sure what I was thinking. Thanks for correcting that. This is what I meant to say (from the SA website):

The UPB technology uses a completely different frequency range than any of the wide-band, narrow-band, or spread spectrum technologies.

I got my letter in the mail from the Board of Master electricians. Here is what it says...

Dear Mr. Powell

On August 3, 2005, you attended the monthly Electrical Board meed at the request of Mr. Badders regarding you request for a limited license to do installation of home automation products. Mr. Mainolfi confirmed that you will be installing a device in existing receptacles and switches only that are controlled by a hand held controller and that there will be no installation of new wiring. With this understanding, the Electrical Board is in the process of creating a Home Automation, Limited License.

Enclosed is an exam application for you to complete showing that you have been 3 years experience regularly and principally employed in the area of license limitation. This application will the be reviewed by the Electrical Board to determine whether you qualify to take the electrical test.

So who says one person isnt enough tochange history. It's not my greatest accomplishment (That is still to be seen), but it is pretty cool that on my first time trying the board said "sure we'll work with you and come up with something". It is very limited so probably wont do much but if all else fails I can market to those people whos kids stick a hanger in the socket and dont want to pay a fortune to a large company to com fix it. So my business will probably be Limited Maintance along with Installation of RF and Poweline type products such as Z-wave, Insteon, and UPB which don't require me to run any new electricity.

After i pass the test and after i am done with these first two classes i just started. To be honest I am not really sure... It may have to wait until after my wedding in may next year also.

Guess who got accepted and is elligable to take the exam. Up its me!

I was going to attached the voicemail they left but wav files are not allowed to be uploaded for some reason.

Basically it said that the board reviewed my application and they are in the process of creating the exam. I will need to review the NEC 2002 code book under the low voltage section. It's a 25 question open book test and I have 3 hours to complete the test. The test will take place in january but I will be notified the exact date and time via mail in december.

I also found out that the only reason I really need this license is for insurance purposes. I will need to be insured to do the work but the local laws do not require that i pull permits for residential jobs and residential jobs do not need to be inspected. Comercial is a whole different story but I will be elligable for comercial jobs also.

Things are starting to come together now!

Back