Good first system & automate blinds

petewill

Hello!

I have been wanting to do home automation for a while but every time I started to look into it I got intimidated with all the options.  Well, I just installed all new windows in my house and I am thinking about adding some motorized blinds.  Based on what I have been reading on here it doesn’t seem like many people are automating blinds.  Is there a reason for that?  I’d rather not spend the time adding all that wire to automate my blinds if it’s not worth it…

If it is beneficial to automate blinds I have a couple of additional questions:
  1. Based on what I have read on here it seems 16/2 wire is the best wire to power the blinds. Does anyone think I should use something else?
  2. Is it ok to use cat5e cable to control the blinds?  I was thinking I could run cat5e for the alarm contacts and motor control so I would only need to pull two wires to the window.  The reason for the cat5e is I have some left over so I’d like to use it up.
  3. I’d like to run the wires in a home run configuration.  Any reason to do it another way?
  4. I have no HA equipment.  Any recommendations for a beginner/basic setup that will allow me to expand/grow as I learn more?  I was getting excited about Elve but then when I started reading the forums it looks like there hasn’t been any development for a year.  I would prefer to stay somewhat main stream so I don’t lose support.  Homeseer seems to be pretty popular but I'm worried it may be more than I need at the start (and more cost than the wife would like).  Additional things I would like to do with in a year (or five) is automate door locks, some lighting, video, alarm, irrigation, temperature and water sensors as well as detect occupancy for various triggers (climate control, lighting, alarm etc).  I’d also REALLY like to be able to monitor/control everything from my android phone.
I realize that was a lot of questions.  Mainly I was thinking I could run power to the blinds so I don’t have to use batteries.  Since I was doing that I thought I could run cat5e for the alarm and motor control.  Initially I was just was looking at getting motorized blinds from blinds.com because they are so cheap but I would like to be able to automate when the blinds go up and down based on weather and time of day.  Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

People do automate their blinds, as well as shades and drapery rods, but there aren't many options available. Running 16/2 for power is a good idea regardless of the type of control, that will save you time and money versus changing the batteries. If you run all wire to central location, they can be powered from a power distribution center (like Elk P624). As for control, you have several options depending on the vendor: most cheap blinds can only be controlled by the remote supplied with the blind, and these can be hard to impossible to integrate with home automation system. Some vendors provide automation interface that is basically a remote with dry contact inputs. Somfy makes a blind motor that can be controlled either by dry contact or by radio. For these you can run cat5 to the motor from the same central location. For security sensors it is best to run 22/2 wire, to be compliant with security standards.

For beginner HA system you can take a look at Premise, it's free and has an active support board.

Picta,

Thank you very much for the reply.  I never got a notification so I didn't know anyone replied.  Apparently I should have followed this topic.. oops.

I have been doing lots of research since I first posted this and I am now leaning toward mi casa verde.  It seems like not many people on here use their controllers though.  I like the fact that it seems like it is pretty basic/easy but there is the option to do more advanced stuff.  Am I making a mistake going that direction?

Thanks for the info on the Elk P624.  I'll definitely do some reading about that.

One thing is becoming evident through all of this.  Home automation is expensive!  I may have to put the blind project on hold...  I appreciate your feedback though.  I will do some more research on Somfy.

Thanks again,

Pete

The last time I checked MiCasaVerde was a Zwave controller... I'm not aware of any (doesn't mean they don't exist) shades/controllers that are Zwave enabled. However, if I were to do motorized blinds/shades I'd go with a wired solution.

That said, to answer one of your first questions... the reason that I've never done it, nor really looked into it, is because we RARELY open our blinds anyway. I live in FL where the climate is usually pretty warm (or HOT!), so it's rare that I want to allow any additional heat in. In addition to the heat, I prefer to keep the peeping eyes to a minimum!

Hi, just a note to let you know we have affordable, safe, solar compatible (12v DC) DIY shade and blind motors and window/skylight actuators. Our radio motors can be operated by Vera, Homeseer, Domoticz, Event Ghost and various other home automation systems using the USB transceiver from RFXCOM.

We also have battery powered units for a completely wireless installation (with solar charging option).

We also have a non-radio Universal Interface kit that can be operated by relays or I/O commands (like from an Arduino):

http://rollertrol.com/universal-DC-motor-interface-for-motorized-blinds-shades

If I can be of further assistance, please contact me anytime.

Regards, Adrian
Adrian BiffenCustomer Service
RollerTrol Automation Systems
http://RollerTrol.com/

drvnbysound,

That makes sense.  I believe you are correct about not having any native z-wave blinds.  At least none that I have found in  my searching.  There are quite a few mods that can be done to make them work though.  The whole reason I was on this quest is because I just installed new windows and I wanted to install some wiring before I did the trim.  I think I am going to do a little more planning and research on what it would take to get the wiring in after I install the trim.  It seems like there are a lot of factors to account for, and I'm not sure I will really even save any work.  Based on what I have on this site it seems like it is most important to decide on a system before running any wires.

Adrian, I will check out your site.  Thanks.

There are several z-wave to Somfy adapters.  Those other mentioned products are not FCC certified just FYI.

Adrian said:
Hi, just a note to let you know we have affordable, safe, solar compatible (12v DC) DIY shade and blind motors and window/skylight actuators. Our radio motors can be operated by Vera, Homeseer, Domoticz, Event Ghost and various other home automation systems using the USB transceiver from RFXCOM.

We also have battery powered units for a completely wireless installation (with solar charging option).

We also have a non-radio Universal Interface kit that can be operated by relays or I/O commands (like from an Arduino):

http://rollertrol.com/universal-DC-motor-interface-for-motorized-blinds-shades

If I can be of further assistance, please contact me anytime.

Regards, Adrian
Adrian BiffenCustomer Service
RollerTrol Automation Systems
http://RollerTrol.com/

ohh those are cool.

drvnbysound said:
The last time I checked MiCasaVerde was a Zwave controller... I'm not aware of any (doesn't mean they don't exist) shades/controllers that are Zwave enabled. However, if I were to do motorized blinds/shades I'd go with a wired solution.

That said, to answer one of your first questions... the reason that I've never done it, nor really looked into it, is because we RARELY open our blinds anyway. I live in FL where the climate is usually pretty warm (or HOT!), so it's rare that I want to allow any additional heat in. In addition to the heat, I prefer to keep the peeping eyes to a minimum!

The MiCasaVerde has a Z-wave radio built into it, but it does far more.  There are a ton of plugins that talk to other equipment over serial ports or via IP.  Check out http://apps.mios.com  -- There are plugins that control Somfy shades, no Z-wave required.

I had some Z-wave stuff at my last house, but I don't have any at this one (actually, not entirely true because I have some locks).  I have a vera controlling my lighting over a serial port via a LiteTouch plugin that I wrote (it's now on apps.mios.com).  I just got my new Elk equipment today, and it will be integrating with that also via a plugin.  And, it's talking to my Ecobee thermostat via IP.  

IMO, the Vera is great HA controller, it's super flexible, and it's CHEAP.  $189 list price for the Vera Lite.  Get the Lite if you don't need wifi on it, it's otherwise the same unit as the one with wifi (but cheaper).  Out of the box, it doesn't seem like a lot.  But, when you start adding plugins and integrating with stuff, it really starts to shine.  The Program Logic plugins allow you to do some really complex stuff that previously required LUA code to do.  And, if you need to do LUA to accomplish something, you can do it right in the UI and the people on the micasaverde forums are super helpful.  

I was previously doing all of my HA on the Elk, and when I bought the Vera, I moved all of the logic over to it.  The UI isn't awesome, but I don't use it much other than to program it.  I let it handle automated tasks on its own, and I use Authomation HD and HomeBuddy on my phones/tablets to control things.

What do you use for UI to Vera (e.g. smart phone interface)?

That's a big part of why I haven't looked at any other controllers to add to my Elk system - it does everything I want, and I have a single app that can control everything, including viewing of my CCTV system.

drvnbysound,

I decided to go with the Vera 3.  I just got my equipment last week so I don't have too much experience with it yet but I am using the Authomation HD (I have all Android devices) and so far it's working great.  I decided to try that one first based on all of the good feedback.  I don't have any cameras yet but I have read that you can view them through the app.

picta said:
So, how many serial devices can Vera controller support simultaneously?

Essentially ... a lot (using the combination of USB to serial and Ethernet to serial converters).  Really it would only be limited by processor/memory constraints.

drvnbysound said:
What do you use for UI to Vera (e.g. smart phone interface)?

That's a big part of why I haven't looked at any other controllers to add to my Elk system - it does everything I want, and I have a single app that can control everything, including viewing of my CCTV system.

I usually use either HomeBuddy or Authomation HD for Android.  Autohomation HD has better voice control, and HomeBuddy supports android intents that can be used through Tasker and creation of widgets for your home screen.  For example, I had a folder on the home screen called "Garage" that had a bunch of widgets to open/close different doors.  And I had a Tasker task that said if the time was working hours, and I was on my home wifi, then when I made or took a call it would run a scene that used VeraAlerts to tell the kids to be quiet over the speaker system (in a sexy british female voice).  

Back