Got my new home , Ready to work

mistert

Its a 2 story house , so the first thing I did was do a security assement and determine what is vulnerable and what what needs or is worth protecting. Here is my list
  • Front door             (deadbolt/ Camera)
  • Front window         (open/close/glass break)
  • garage door           ( open/close/ camera)
  • kitchen window      (open/close/glass break)
  • Patio door             (open/close/glass break)
  • back window          (open/close/glass break)
  • right side window.  (open/close/glass break)
Since those are the only entry points to a solid cinder block first floor, those are the areas that I would like to secure. For the upstairs windows, I am not doing anything about them, because if you come though those windows then you are on a mission. Because the home is preexisting I can't do a lot of hard-wiring, but I will do it for some areas.
  • For lighting I am going with UPB
  • Whole house audio
  • Ac control
  • some appliance control (coffee maker/ Stove)
  • Sprinkler system
  • Alarm system I want to go HAI Omnipro. Can any one give me feedback on how reliable it is.
  • smoke /Co detection
  • water leak detection
I am running 2 cat6 cables to everyroom (4) for video. I am looking at Homeseer or CastleOS as my controller system. I am also working a a budget of a total of 5k for this stuff so that means classified/ebay and begging (lol).

Guys I really appreciate any knowledge or advice that you are wiling to impart me with.

HAI by Levition - UL Listed Security System and Controller

Congratulations on your new home, we all wish you the very best. The OmniPro II will meet all your security and controller requirements, because it is a modular system and it can grow as you budget allows.

I can feel your enthusiasm for your home automation project however, please keep an open mind concerning your budget, you might want to rethink or explore a little more as to where your present requirements are taking you.

All the best,
CJW

Have a look at the ISY994iXXX. Many users go with Elk for home security and the ISY and Elk talk to each other for double usage of MS devices and locks. Apps that voice events.

Wired for security and wireless for HA. Insteon has a better range and reliability than others. wave and X10 is also supported by the ISY994i units for some of the newer gadgets. Support is the best out there and continually amazes new converts from other systems. I have been in HA for about 30 years and I am still impressed.

Careful with glassbreak detectors if you are using the audible sensor types. The dual event sensor types work well but can be sensitive to circular saw blade noises doing the right sequence when the piece hits the floor and then the blade rings. Yeah my siren was loud and close to me.

"you might want to rethink or explore a little more as to where your present requirements are taking you. All the best, CJW"

Please explain I'm not sure I follow.

Larrtllix

I did look at insteon, but put if away because for lighting i though it would be best to use UPB protocol which would allow me to take advantage of the power lines in this preexisting home.

Also guys  today I discoverd that the home was once wired with a brinks home security system. Could I tap in to the network that is already there in order to setup my new one ie (wires and cables)? I not sure how extensive the integration of the brinks system was though.

Insteon uses both power line and RF communications (dual band) and it is confirmed with retries if necessary. It has a massive range capability and hardly ever misses, short of noisy environment problems. The ISY has a Zwave option giving it Insteon, Zwave,  X10, and iR native capability in a 2-3 watt CPU box the size of a playing card deck. Rest interface is built in so Tasker and a multitude of other apps and products can talk to and control it as well as the reverse with the drop-in Network module firmware. Much faster than most protocols and device state changes are reported instantly unlike some others. No polling.

New ISY994iXXX firmware updates come out every month after feedback and requests from users. V5 will allow users to finally use variable to pass to Hue bulbs etc. Right now we have to have separate programs for each colour etc. People are controlling their devices from Smart Watches and some are running their HVAC systems on it and totally trust it to be accurate and reliable.

Check out the UDI forum for reports from people converting from other protocols and controllers. Check out the UDI wiki. The support is unheard of in any industry I have experienced.

Just another note: Insteon Repeaters and Access Points are obsolete technology being sold off. All new devices act as access points and repeaters with the mesh network technology. If you put a device every 150-200 feet people achieve 500 foot ranges. I have a completely encased metal workshop building and have no problem getting temperatures and controlling hardware from my home 75 feet away. The signal goes down the powerline into the building and every plugged in device repeats it via RF to the others.
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_automation#Comparison_of_popular_protocols

Hey guys Im back , been crazy busy doing some renovations on the new place  and its coming together nicely.
 Guys is there any one that can help me design my alarm system into my preexisting Brinks one.
I have attached some pictures of my panel so that you can hace a better idea what i am working with.
Larry I took a look at your recomendation and it appears to be a good fiit for control most og my stuff that I am interested in. I did not read that it supports UPB for lighting .

ok good , i thought for a minute maybe i was the only one that was not understanding the lack of functionality.

mistert said:
Its a 2 story house , so the first thing I did was do a security assement and determine what is vulnerable and what what needs or is worth protecting. Here is my list
  • Front door             (deadbolt/ Camera)
  • Front window         (open/close/glass break)
  • garage door           ( open/close/ camera)
  • kitchen window      (open/close/glass break)
  • Patio door             (open/close/glass break)
  • back window          (open/close/glass break)
  • right side window.  (open/close/glass break)
Since those are the only entry points to a solid cinder block first floor, those are the areas that I would like to secure. For the upstairs windows, I am not doing anything about them, because if you come though those windows then you are on a mission. Because the home is preexisting I can't do a lot of hard-wiring, but I will do it for some areas.
  • For lighting I am going with UPB
  • Whole house audio
  • Ac control
  • some appliance control (coffee maker/ Stove)
  • Sprinkler system
  • Alarm system I want to go HAI Omnipro. Can any one give me feedback on how reliable it is.
  • smoke /Co detection
  • water leak detection
I am running 2 cat6 cables to everyroom (4) for video. I am looking at Homeseer or CastleOS as my controller system. I am also working a a budget of a total of 5k for this stuff so that means classified/ebay and begging (lol).

Guys I really appreciate any knowledge or advice that you are wiling to impart me with.
I have a similar system to that. Here is my advice.
- For UPB, it works great but add a repeater in you electric panel. PCS makes the best one for about $150.  For switches the Leviton/HAI ones work well, the PCS and Web Mountain ones work well.  The Simply Automated ones aren't the best for when you have a repeater.

- You have Brinks wiring which you can use, but adding wireless sensors to is really helpful. For example, you can use wireless water sensors to trigger your water valve. The panel can use either a GE receiver or HAI/Leviton receiver. I use the GE and i think there are more and better sensors with GE, and they are cheaper.

-Appliance control? Why? I wish you luck on controlling a stove.

- Sprinklers? You must mean garden sprinklers and not fire sprinklers.

- Locks - Adding ZigBee lets you control locks, some misc. lights, and the irrigation without more wires. Zigbee works will with the HAI/Leviton panel once you get it going. BUT remember you have 5 serial ports.

- The Omni is UL listed, so its as reliable as there is. Its never the panel that is a problem, its the installation and all the sensors.

- What about controlling the thermostat? Zigbee can do that with the OmniStat2

- What about any blinds or drapes?  I didn't do that in my last house, but will in this one.

- I use WaterCop for a water valve.

- Definitely get some glass break detectors, but you don't need to go crazy on the detectors. If you add more add motion sensors that could be used double duty for lighting control. 

picta said:
For irrigation you can add Rain8 controllers, UPB or net based: http://www.wgldesigns.com/rain8upb.html

If you are getting OmniPro, Haiku (now Space) may be a better choice for controller than homeseer. I also think that CastleOS does not support HAI at the moment.

Zigbee can be a functional add-on to Omni for locks, thermostats and water valve: http://smartenit.com/product/zbvc-1/
As for a "controller" I have used HomeSeer and CQC. I presently don't use either and use HAIku for all the access I need. (I haven't used SPACE yet, but I bought it.) Personally I would hold off adding another "controller" until you know better what your needs are. I used CQC for many years, but in my new home I just use the Omni Pro II programming, which is pretty powerful. the more I add, the less I find a need for an add-on.

ano said:
I have a similar system to that. Here is my advice.
- For UPB, it works great but add a repeater in you electric panel. PCS makes the best one for about $150.  For switches the Leviton/HAI ones work well, the PCS and Web Mountain ones work well.  The Simply Automated ones aren't the best for when you have a repeater.

- You have Brinks wiring which you can use, but adding wireless sensors to is really helpful. For example, you can use wireless water sensors to trigger your water valve. The panel can use either a GE receiver or HAI/Leviton receiver. I use the GE and i think there are more and better sensors with GE, and they are cheaper.

-Appliance control? Why? I wish you luck on controlling a stove.

- Sprinklers? You must mean garden sprinklers and not fire sprinklers.

- Locks - Adding ZigBee lets you control locks, some misc. lights, and the irrigation without more wires. Zigbee works will with the HAI/Leviton panel once you get it going. BUT remember you have 5 serial ports.

- The Omni is UL listed, so its as reliable as there is. Its never the panel that is a problem, its the installation and all the sensors.

- What about controlling the thermostat? Zigbee can do that with the OmniStat2

- What about any blinds or drapes?  I didn't do that in my last house, but will in this one.

- I use WaterCop for a water valve.

- Definitely get some glass break detectors, but you don't need to go crazy on the detectors. If you add more add motion sensors that could be used double duty for lighting control. 
 Thanks for the advice . I will look into the repeater option.
 I am going to go with a mostly wireless stuff as I don't want to tear up the house much more. As you can see I am not really trying to go craxy big on theis just the basics for peace of mind and functionality.
The stove issue is that I have walked out the house and left it on. I just want to be able to kill power
Yes, I do mean garden sprinklers. How secure is Zigbee protocol. No blinds or drapes for this place .
Can you please elaborate on this "Definitely get some glass break detectors, but you don't need to go crazy on the detectors. If you add more add motion sensors that could be used double duty for lighting control."

Picta
 Is Haiku a controller or software the works with OmniPro.

Ano
 do you think that homeseerer is as good and meets the above average standards. Or would you say stay with Omnipro 2

I have both Homeseer and the OmniPro II panel. 

I started to play with Homeseer around 1998 and the OmniPro II in the first half of the 2000's.

Personally standards is a loaded term with today's automation.

Back