HA touchscreen interface

royalj7

Welp, with all the deals on older touchscreens I was thinking it would be a good time to pick up a few to interface with my HA system, but I really don't know which would be better. The Nokia is only $130, but it also has the smallest screen. For the longest time I was planning on using the 3500, but it looks like the ST4110 is a little faster and has more memory, but is also the most expensive option. Anyone has any thoughts?

--Jamie

Depends on where you will be using it, and for what.

In a Theater, I like a UMPC form factor for media selection and system control.

For the living room (or other primary TV place), UMPC augemented with traditional remote control for channel surfing.

If Internet surfing, a larger unit.

For any writing, an Active pen model and larger.

For on screen keyboard needs (that takes up screen real estate), larger screen.

For lighting control / system status, either size

for coffee table, UMPC with a kick stand.

For the office, standard PC / mouse / keyboard.

For primary high traffic locations like a foyer or kitchen - in wall touchscreen (not a handheld cobbled into or on a wall).

So, depends.

David,

Yea, if the budget would allow, a UMPC like the Samsung Q1 would be idea, but that's not really an option for me. You'll notice the three I listed are all under $300 a pop. I'm leaning towards the ST4110 just because it has the fast proc and most memory off all (not much even then though). The Nokia was interesting because of it's size, but from what I've read, there is some delay even in using RDP, which would kind of suck.

Thanks,

Well, I couldn't help myself and broke down and ordered a Nokia 770. I wasn't strong enough to keep myself from that siren's sweet calling. :blink:
I'm using PowerHome so I'll have to test whether it's faster using RDP (I use VNC actually) or Web interface.
I got the Nokia because of it's size. I figure I can leave it on the coffee table in the fam room, since that's where we are most of the time. Also, I guess I can mount the dock on a wall someplace for a poor man's touch screen.

Well, I couldn't help myself and broke down and ordered a Nokia 770. I wasn't strong enough to keep myself from that siren's sweet calling. :blink:
I'm using PowerHome so I'll have to test whether it's faster using RDP (I use VNC actually) or Web interface.
I got the Nokia because of it's size. I figure I can leave it on the coffee table in the fam room, since that's where we are most of the time. Also, I guess I can mount the dock on a wall someplace for a poor man's touch screen.

The Nokia 770 doesn't have a dock AFAIK. It has a cheap stand, but no power dock.

Oh, ok. I've only seen pics, don't have it yet. It looked like some kind of stand. I know it's not a power dock.

Edit: I received my 770. While it doesn't have a dock per se, there is a sliver color sleeve that slides over the screen to protect it. What's nice is that when using the 770, the 770 can slip into that, so it's on the back of the unit. Therefore, you can mount that sleeve on the wall and slide the 770 device in and out of it. Pretty neat.

It also has a cheap plastic stand for placing on a table.

Back