HAI 14A00-8 Water Temp Sensor

Hey;
  I'm hoping to get some help with finding or building a 14A00-8 Water Temp Sensor for my pool.  From the pictures I can find online it seems to be a very basic circuit board with an LM331N which takes the voltage output from the temp sensor and converts it to a frequency. The HAI Knowledge Base website has some information about it. Mainly temperature to frequency calculation (FREQUENCY = (4 (temp)) / 30.   I have placed a meter on one of my other outdoor sensors and did get a frequency that, when I did the math, came out to the correct temp so it seems that all HAI’s temp sensors work the same way.
  I have found a decent picture of the top of the circuit board that I can figure out most of the components on the board, but I cannot find a picture of the bottom of the board so I can figure out the complete circuit.
I can make out the resistor sizes, LM331N and trim pot but I cannot see what the value of the capacitors and diodes are. Would someone be able to take a few good photos of the bottom and top of the circuit board and post them??
   I have been keeping an eye out on Ebay for one but haven’t seen one yet. Would anyone have one for sale?
 I am hoping to make a couple of them so I can control the pool solar heater as well!

Thanks for the help!

From KB.HOMEAUTO.COM

Calibrating the 14A00-8 Water Temperature Sensor and 1101A PESM

The temperature can be calibrated by using the potentiometer on the device. Turn the potentiometer clockwise to "lower" the temperature. Turn the potentiometer counter-clockwise to "raise" the temperature.
The system only updates the temperature every 30 seconds. For a proper reading, wait 60-90 seconds after making an adjustment to the potentiometer.
If you have a meter that reads frequency, the temperature (in frequency) can be read over a DC square wave. Put your meter between the black and yellow wire and measure the frequency.
FREQUENCY = (4 TEMPERATURE) / 30
Example:
If the ambient temperature is 75 degrees:
FREQUENCY = (4 75) / 30
FREQUENCY = 300 / 30
FREQUENCY = 10 Hz

If no one is able to provide you with photos of the board, there are quite a few circuit diagrams around for voltage-to-frequency and temp-to-frequency circuits using the LM331.  I'll bet the HAI board is a close or an exact match to one of them.

Here are some results that google turned up.

I would also worry about the logic levels (voltage) compatible with the board...i.e. TTL (five volts), 12 volts, 24 volts???  This would be the 'peak to peak' reading of the square wave.

Hey;
   I did manage to find a better picture of the top of the PCB. See attached, any help with identifying the other components would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks. 

Attachments

• Water Temp Sensor.jpg
    Water Temp Sensor.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 21
Hi,
So, I finally managed to figure out the circuit diagram and build a few units. If anyone is looking for that information send me an email.
Thanks,
Nick

(Email removed to protect member from spam, BSR)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news @RobinsonNi !!!

I would suggest you remove your email address from your signature as it may create a spam issue on your email account.

Can you post your findings here on the forum?

Here utilize a few combo HAI temperature / humidity sensors and temperature sensors and would be interested in your findings.

Hi,
I have attached the zip files with schematics and board layouts. Part of the difficulty in building new temp sensors is finding the LM331 and the LM34 sensor. I had purchase 10 of the LM331 from a supplier in China however non of them worked! You can use the LM231 (which is pretty much them same, just more accurate). I was hoping to use an Arduino and a DS18B20 digital temp sensor but I haven't figured out yet how to get the Arduino to output the correct PWM signal depending on the temperature, another work in progress.
I have also reverse engineered the 16 zone expansion board (10A06-1) and the 16 zone/16 output (17A00-8). I am working on building a wireless moisture sensor to integrate with the GE Interlogix receiver or HAI wireless receiver.
Let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks,
Nick

Attachments

• Final - Pool Temp Sensor Surface Mount.zip
    185.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Original HAI Pool Temp Sensor.zip
    115.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi,
I have attached the zip files with schematics and board layouts. Part of the difficulty in building new temp sensors is finding the LM331 and the LM34 sensor. I had purchase 10 of the LM331 from a supplier in China however non of them worked! You can use the LM231 (which is pretty much them same, just more accurate). I was hoping to use an Arduino and a DS18B20 digital temp sensor but I haven't figured out yet how to get the Arduino to output the correct PWM signal depending on the temperature, another work in progress.
I have also reverse engineered the 16 zone expansion board (10A06-1) and the 16 zone/16 output (17A00-8). I am working on building a wireless moisture sensor to integrate with the GE Interlogix receiver or HAI wireless receiver.
Let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks,
Nick
Nick,
This is great to see. I don't have the ability to make circuit boards but I have been soldering for decades. Is anyone thinking about making a set of boards? Have you looked at the Elk ZTS temp sensor? It connects to the Elk with 1 wire. The board is a similar size. I'll attach a photo of the circuit board. I am interested an devices to add to the GE Interlogix wireless.
Don

Attachments

• ELK ZTS temp sensor.jpg
    ELK ZTS temp sensor.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 11
@RobinsonNi ....great stuff you are doing!!!

Side note relating to devices connected to the OP2 panel.....

Here have always hardwired my Doorbell to the Alarm panel...still doing this with the newest WiFi doorbell and it has been working.

an experiment here and using MQTT connected a tiny wireless ESP01 to one zone on the OmniPro2 panel and triggering it reading onvif to MQTT stuff. The ESP01 is hanging out of the OmniPro2 media panel.

Hi Dwalt,
I have not worked with any of the ELK boards. From your picture it seems like a simple board (no firmware that needs to be copied). If I had one I could make a copy.
You can too, I use the website EasyEDA.com for the basic boards, not all the libraries are there but as long as you get the correct foot prints it will work out just fine. It’s also pretty cheap to have the boards made up.
Thanks,
Nick

Back