HAI Omni 2 Wi Fi hookup

Jmiles

Noticed a lot of HAI Omni expertise on this site! Hoping I can get some help ….

Bought a house last year with HAI Omni Ii system, I’d like to use the “Myro: home” App to connect via WiFi instead of the touchscreen.

Is the Myro: Home app good for Omni II users?

If so, I’d like to get my system set up to use it.

From what I understand my first step is to connect the Omni II console to a Router.

Then I can start using the App to control the Omni II, once it’s set up with a Router? Or would there be more intermediate steps until I could connect the App.

Hello @Jmiles,
First step is to verify which Omni model you have. The Omni II does not have a network port.
The Omni IIe does. The port is on the middle top part of the board. If there are 2 ports in the middle top of the board, its an Omni IIe. If there is just one port with a blank spot on the board to the left, its an Omni II.
Next hook up a data cable to the router or nearest data switch.
Next assign an ip address to the Omni. Make sure to pick an address outside of your DHCP range but still on your local subnet as the OmniIIe needs a static ip.
If you want remote access there are more steps to follow.
Please refer to the attached Omni IIe manual starting on page 52.
dwalt

Attachments

• Omni 2e owners manual.pdf
    958.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Awesome thanks! I do have the IIe so looks like I’m good to go.

I will check out the manual.

Does it matter what type of router? Would a $20 Amazon N300 (300bps) suffice?

Awesome thanks! I do have the IIe so looks like I’m good to go.

I will check out the manual.

Does it matter what type of router? Would a $20 Amazon N300 (300bps) suffice?
Don't you already have a router supplying internet service to the house?

I do but my IIe console is in the basement. My internet router is on the main floor centrally located. I think if I moved the router downstairs it wouldn’t reach the second floor

You have to get a connection from the Omni 2e to that router.
It should be a hardwire cable.
There are other alternatives.
You can use a wireless access point in client mode.
You can use a device that sends data over the powerline like the:

Each of these alternatives are less reliable than a hardwire connection.
dwalt

To clarify, it doesn't matter where your console(keypad) is. Where is the actual Omni 2e controller?
There are other possibilites. Do you have phone or data jacks in the house?
Do you have a low voltage enclosure where the phone, data and coax cables are home run?

Yes the actual Omni console is in the basement, the router is on the main floor. I could try relocating the router to the basement but I’m concerned that would affect WiFi on the second floor? I could give it a try

Yes the actual Omni console is in the basement, the router is on the main floor. I could try relocating the router to the basement but I’m concerned that would affect WiFi on the second floor? I could give it a try
Before you move the router, please answer the other questions I asked. How is your router connected to the interent? A picture would help.

Before you move the router, please answer the other questions I asked. How is your router connected to the interent? A picture would help.
Photo is attached.

The router is on main floor, connected to dual phone jacks.

The IIe is in basement - it’s connected to a phone Jack and there is another unused Jack as you can see (but I don’t have it set up for security or anything so I don’t think it uses the Jack for any reason).

Thanks for the photos. My best guess is that your cables are home run to the board the security system is mounted to. Evidenced by the abandoned coax cables and all the gray data cables terminated as phone lines. The router picture shows you have a wall plate with 2 phone/data and a coax. What are the two ports labelled on the router where the phone cables are attached? Since you have an available outlet by the router, the powerline adapters may make the most sense. However, you have a UPB PIM plugged in which also uses the powerline to send commands to UPB devices in the house (typically light switches).
Please bear in mind, this is only going to get your Myro app working within your home. If you want it to work remotely, there will need to be router configuration changes. Do you have access to the router configuration? Can you get the model number of the router? If you can, I'll try to look it up.

Thanks, The yellow ports are your data ports. The router has an admin interface that allows you to set port forwarding.
I would suggest you try a powerline adapter similar to the one I suggested before.
One end plugs into the yellow port on the router. The other plugs into the data port on the Omni 2e

Back