HAI Omni and Zigbee lights

ano,

By any chance have you ever tried the NYCE sensors and devices with HAI? They support ZHA 1. IT would be nice if we can use their small and inexpensive occupancy sensors.

lubeto said:
ano,

By any chance have you ever tried the NYCE sensors and devices with HAI? They support ZHA 1. IT would be nice if we can use their small and inexpensive occupancy sensors.
They would pair correctly but the Omni can only control switches. The code to read a sensor into a zone isn't there. I'm sure it has to do with UL approval, they just don't feel like doing the cost of certification and testing when they don't even sell these. It wouldn't be hard for them to enable it, but they haven't.

Having a bit of a challenge here.
I have one of the GE Connect lights now

I updated my ZIM

I can get the bulb to join the ZIM at the ZIM itself.
It enrolls initially as a "Dimmer", but if I leave it as a dimmer it can't be controlled.
If I change it to "Load", then I have ON/Off control from the ZIM but no dimming.

I reset the bulb several times and re-enrolled it with identical results.

I can't enroll it via PCAccess at all, nor can I import it from the controller into PCAccess after enrolling it with the ZIM.

How do I get it into PCAccess?

I had some trouble enrolling in PCAccess doing some testing.  I think you can type the id of the device in to a room setup with the zigbee type after you have enrolled it with the ZIM.  Do you have a room defined as that type?  The id's for zigbee are 4 digit hex, if I recall correctly.

I have units allocated in PCAccess to Zigbee
I can read the address on the ZIM (changes each time I re-enroll the device)

I'll try typing the address into PCAccess.

Any idea why I can't enroll the bulb as a dimmer and be able to control it?

I have always enrolled them in PC assess as just a load/unit. I don't even see where it says its a dimmer or not.

Define a bank of 16 UNITS to be Zigbee, DOWNLOAD THIS INFO INTO THE PANEL FIRST. Go back to PC Access, and connect to the panel.  Go to the SETUP tab, select UNITS.  Find a unused UNIT with the Zigbee ID of 0000.  Put the GE Bulb in SETUP mode.  If its new you just power it up, otherwise there is this power on and power off procedure to put it in SETUP mode.  Now go back to PC Access and click on the 0000 for that unit. It will say ENROLL or DISBAND. Click ENROLL and it takes some time but it should do it within a minute.  If it can't find the bulb you may need to put it closer to the ZIM and try again. 

Also NOTE, the DIM and BRIGHTEN commands do NOT seem to work with GE bulbs. Use the "Light Level" command instead.  With Light Level you can specify the level as 1 to 100%.  ON and OFF work as well. For whatever reason, the DIM and BRIGHTEN commands don't work.

Desert_AIP said:
I have units allocated in PCAccess to Zigbee
I can read the address on the ZIM (changes each time I re-enroll the device)

I'll try typing the address into PCAccess.

Any idea why I can't enroll the bulb as a dimmer and be able to control it?
Be careful you don't get everything confused. If you no longer want a bulb paired to the ZIM, use the DISBAND button in PC Access.  You can also manually DISBAND a bulb by setting its ID to 0000 in PC Access AND DOWNLOADING that info into the panel AND disbanding the bulb by following the reset procedure.  You have to do BOTH things to fully clear it.  Otherwise once its paired, leave it.  A device is either paired or its not, there is no benefit to repairing it again and again.

One other thing.  Zigbee is really VERY sophisticated.  It optimizes the network automatically, unlike Z-Wave, but this optimization can take some time, maybe a day or more.  If you pair a device, and its not working reliably, just give it some time.  The more devices you have the better your network will be, but it also takes longer to optimize.  Just let it do its thing. UNLIKE Z-Wave, Zigbee devices DO NOT need to be learned in their final location.  You can move them anywhere, and they will adjust.

ano,  thanks.

So far I've had no luck with PCAccess at all.  PCAccess doesn't know I have any devices paired.

The procedure you describe above is exactly what I am doing.  No go.
I click enroll and it just keeps searching forever until I cancel out of the window.
Latest firmware in the Omni, ZIM updated to v 15 (xxx).

I only tried resetting the bulb and re-pairing the bulb with the ZIM because of the dimmer/load thing.
Sounds like you are saying let it pair as a dimmer or load, leave it alone, and I should be able to control (dim) it later?
Right now, after I pair it as a dimmer on the ZIM, it shows up in the list of loads, but the state can't be changed.
It's self reporting as a "Dimmer", but if I cycle throught he list of load types before confirming, dimmer does not appear as an option.
So I have also set it as a "Load".  But then it's only on/off.

I've only got this one bulb and a ZIM to play with right now.
The bulb is in a painting light 3 feet from the ZIM.

Keep in mind, the ZIM is a device which I bet Leviton bought from another company. It can be stand alone, but it also has a serial interface which the Omni connects through.  I haven't proved this, but I bet the ZIM to Omni communications is VERY SIMPLE, and most of the settings in the ZIM NEVER make it to the panel, or the panel cares little about the settings.  How the Omni and communicate is just ID # and on, off, level %. That is it.  If the device is a lock, or switch, or dimmer, the Omni couldn't care less.  The Omni ONLY knows a device is a lock is because its defined in the security section, and only knows its a "UNIT" because its defined in the UNIT section.  

Personally I would DISBAND all devices on the ZIM and ONLY pair them with PC Access.  If you have never paired with PC Access, then reset the ZIM to its defaults, connect it to the Omni, and NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN, unless you are upgrading its firmware.

Now fire up PC Access.  Make sure you have a bank of 16 units defined as Zigbee, and make sure all ID's read as 0000.  (Four zeros)  NOW DOWNLOAD this setup TO the panel.  DON'T forget this step. 

Now only after the setup is loaded into the panel, you can pair the devices.  Make the ID on PC Access reads 0000, and make sure the bulb is in pairing mode.  Then Pair in PC Access.  If PC Access can't find the device, move the bulb closer to the ZIM and repeat.  If it still can't find the bulb you are doing something wrong.  Chances are the bulb is NOT in pairing mode, or its too far from the ZIM.  Move the bulb withing 20 ft. of the ZIM for now. 

If you still can't pair, that is a problem.  If you ABSOLUTELY have to pair using the ZIM (NOT RECOMMENDED) just pair it, read back the ID number, and using PC Access put that ID number into the panel using PC Access. DO NOT TOUCH ANY OTHER ZIM SETTINGS.  Remember to download the new setup from PC Access to the panel.  I DON'T recommend every touching the ZIM, but I do know this works. Its a LAST RESORT only. 

Which ZIM firmware are you running?  Some versions do have pairing issues.  I recommend 15.03 Its not perfect, and occasionally has pairing issues with Smartenit repeaters but otherwise is solid.

I click enroll and it just keeps searching forever until I cancel out of the window.
Latest firmware in the Omni, ZIM updated to v 15 (xxx).

Here still doing baby steps as I am at port capacity on my OmniPro 2.

That said here I first updated the firmware on the ZIM to 15.03.  Nothing would pair with the ZIM.  I thought for a bit that I had a defective unit.

I did a cold reset via the ZIM panel and then everything paired up fine with it.

I understand that above Ano is stating to do everything with PCA versus directly on the ZIM. 

I would still do a cold restart of the ZIM then try PCA again to pair up your device .

Temporarily shifting some stuff today and will connect ZIM to OPII.

I am having issues with PCA and direct ZIM enrollment as stated earlier.  Even after a reset and disbanding on the ZIM.

When I do a disband with PCA I get an error.

disband.png

pete_c said:
Here still doing baby steps as I am at port capacity on my OmniPro 2.

That said here I first updated the firmware on the ZIM to 15.03.  Nothing would pair with the ZIM.  I thought for a bit that I had a defective unit.

I did a cold reset via the ZIM panel and then everything paired up fine with it.

I understand that above Ano is stating to do everything with PCA versus directly on the ZIM. 

I would still do a cold restart of the ZIM then try PCA again to pair up your device .

Temporarily shifting some stuff today and will connect ZIM to OPII.

I am having issues with PCA and direct ZIM enrollment as stated earlier.  Even after a reset and disbanding on the ZIM.

When I do a disband with PCA I get an error.

attachicon.gif
disband.png
When the ID is displayed as 0000, it IS disbanded.  That is likely why the error, you can't DISBAND a device if its not paired. 

If you want to just control Zigbee devices with the ZIM NOT connected to the Omni, that is OK.  It does work, but the ZIM is not going to get any awards for its great user interface.

There is one VERY strange thing about the ZIM that I never really understood.  In Zigbee there are basically three device types; the end-point, the router, and the coordinator. The end-point is a battery device and an example would be a Zigbee lock.  It sleeps most of the time to save battery power.  The router, is a 120V device that stores and forwards data from the end-points. HAI has said one router can handle four end-points. Examples of routers would be the Omnistat2, GE Light bulbs, and every 120V device. The coordinator is the ZIM.  The specification doesn't really allow a battery operated coordinator, but the ZIM is.  Its a mystery to me, but all I can say is always keep your ZIM plugged in with 120V power even if it does run on battery. 

Thank-you Ano.

Whatever I try I cannot pair a device to the ZIM directly or via the OP2 panel. 

I do see the two LED lights blinking under the ZIM connected serial port on the OP2.

I reloaded the ZIM firmware 15.03 earlier today to see if that would work.

When you pair a Zigbee device its a bit like getting married.  The Zigbee device will only speak with the coordinator and the coordinator will only speak to the Zigbee device.  If you want to DISBAND them from each other, you can do it from either the ZIM side or the device side.  If the two devices are communicating when you DISBAND them, they will both DISBAND from each other, but if they are separated from each other when you DISBAND one it WON'T DISBAND the other side, and that side will be in limbo.  Its kinda like you got a divorce and never told your wife about it.  In this case you need to make sure both sides are DISBANDED.  In the ZIM and in PC Access its easy to see if a device is DISBANDED, because the ID will be 0000.  In something like a light bulb, its best to fully reset it to make sure. 

Once the ZIM and a device are paired, there is no real reason to DISBAND it, with two exceptions.  Exception 1, you have a new Coordinator so you want a device to leave one Zigbee network but join another.  For example, you want to switch a device for the HAI to say the WINK or SMARTTHINGS or vise versa.

The second reason is if you paired a device to the ZIM in standalone mode, and now you want to use this device with the ZIM connected to an OMNI.  I recommend you DISBAND the device in the ZIM, then re-pair it with PC Access.  (Others will argue this last point, but I have found it to work best.) 

If the ZIM can't pair to a device/can't find the device, it could be one of several reasons:
1) the device is not in pairing mode, or its paired to a different coordinator
2) the device and coordinator are separated too far apart
3) the device is not a Zigbee HA (Home Automation) device, and may be a Zigbee Lightlink or Zigbee SmartEnergy device (Cree and Philips Zigbee bulbs use Zigbee Lightlink)
4) your ZIM is a Zigbee Smartenergy model.  HAI sells this. Check the firmware, it should end in HA and not in SE.

pete_c said:
Thank-you Ano.

Whatever I try I cannot pair a device to the ZIM directly or via the OP2 panel. 

I do see the two LED lights blinking under the ZIM connected serial port on the OP2.

I reloaded the ZIM firmware 15.03 earlier today to see if that would work.
What device are you attempting to pair with? 

HAI does sell a Zigbee Smart Energy ZIM designed to be used with utility Smartmeters. Have you NEVER paired a device? I wonder if your ZIM is the wrong model?  I wouldn't think it would load the HA firmware.  The Smart Energy stuff ends with the model code of "SH."  Like the Smart Energy ZIM is 81A00-1WHSH.  Are you sure you don't have that one? 

You want the 81A00-3WHZB

Thank-you Ano.

Got it going.

I have the 81A00-3WHZB.

It was my touch to pairing here.  I was being a bit heavy (?) on the pairing button.  I touched the pairing button once and the ZIM paired up right away with the device.  I removed the two devices and did it a couple of times without the ZIM plugged in.  I then plugged in the ZIM to the OPII using the values already on the paired devices and I can now control the two switches just fine via PCA. 

Initially with PCA I was seeing an ON with a (0-100W) and now do not see that.

I am going to try to pair again with PCA only.  Does the communications between PCA and ZIM show up on ZIM display when paring?

I am pairing with a Zigbee light module and a Zigbee appliance module.

Back