HAI Omni and Zigbee lights

pete_c said:
I am going to try to pair again with PCA only.  Does the communications between PCA and ZIM show up on ZIM display when paring?

I am pairing with a Zigbee light module and a Zigbee appliance module.
Yes, the ZIM will show its paired when using PC Access, but I think it uses names of devices it generates.  You can pair with the ZIM and copy the ID to PC Access but its not best to.  Its best to let the panel and ZIM communicate while pairing, as the device type will always be set correctly.  The power usage ONLY appears on the PC Access Status/Control screen. That is the number in parenthesis.  Most, but not all Zigbee devices support it.

Disbanded both devices.  Worked immediately.  Enrolled them both and again worked and changed values just fine.

Thank you again Ano.

Yeah thinking it was just putting the devices in enroll mode.  I tested it with the Almond + and I couldn't enroll it with that Zigbee controller either.

Good luck Desert_AIP.

I
Am
The
Biggest
Idiot
Ever

You know that little black piece of plastic under the serial port?
I think its called a "jumper".
Well apparently it should be in the 485 position.

Changed the jumper and BAM!
Worked like a charm.
Duh!

Pretty good range from the ZIM upstairs to my office downstairs and on the other side of the house. With no other devices in the mesh!

Desert_AIP said:
Duh!

Pretty good range from the ZIM upstairs to my office downstairs and on the other side of the house. With no other devices in the mesh!
Good work!!!  Range is good to routers, which are line powered devices. Not so good to end-points, which are battery devices.

Good news Desert_AIP.

Here was going to patch over the ZIM to my office desk from the basement using standard cat5e. 

Still going slow with endeavor. 

Unrelated to the ZIM moved my micro router endeavor to a new microrouter which is smallest one to date.  Old one was using both a serial port and Ethernet port.  This one is only using the Ethernet port and fits a bit better inside of the can as it is tiny.

I'm excited about these bulbs.
I primarily want to use Zigbee for locks, but I need repeaters.
I was originally looking at $80 outlets near the locks.
This allows me to install one of these bulbs in a cheap ceramic base in the attic space above the lock to act solely as a sub $20 repeater.

Desert_AIP said:
I'm excited about these bulbs.
I primarily want to use Zigbee for locks, but I need repeaters.
I was originally looking at $80 outlets near the locks.
This allows me to install one of these bulbs in a cheap ceramic base in the attic space above the lock to act solely as a sub $20 repeater.
Smartenit makes a Zigbee repeater for about $60 bucks, but you can't beat those GE bulbs.  I've been using some GE Zigbee outlets also, about $25 on eBay. 

Would something like this work with the ZIM?

It is a single 12VDC LED ballast which is powered by just LV.   It is small and innocuous looking.

dimmerLED.jpg

pete_c said:
Would something like this work with the ZIM?

It is a single 12VDC LED ballast which is powered by just LV.   It is small and innocuous looking.

attachicon.gif
dimmerLED.jpg
Just make sure:

1) It is the HA (Home Automation) protocol and not LightLink or Smart Energy. LightLink is getting pretty popular so watch out for that one.
2) That it is a controlled load. Dimming should work, but HA is only dimming, if its color control, that indicates LightLink.
3) Crossing your fingers always helps. Sometimes HAI bugs prevent it from working when it should.  Way back in the early days HAI actually worked with me to get some Smartinet devices working. One time they even purchased one to get it working, and they did, but lately they have been less cooperative.

A few more things. You can check the Zigbee Alliance to see which products have been tested. http://www.zigbee.org/zigbee-products-2/
You may find some Chinese products not tested that still work.

Finally they are working on a new Zigbee standard so that it won't matter if its Home Automation, Smart Energy, or LightLink. They will all work. Will Leviton support it, I have no idea. But eventually this stuff won't matter it will just work.

Back