Halloween

Sounds about right Rocco. I bought the unit this year for $59 at Party City - it's 1000W or so it's labled. On a fresh round of heat I think I can get 5 or so minutes of fog before a recharge and recharge only takes a minute or so. I'll time those when I get back home (next week).

I've seen some idea's on the net for how to cool the fog from these types of units and I'm mulling them over to see if I can come up with something....

Glad to here it tony. Let me know how that timer works out for you. I did not pick it up because I had already picked up $150 in other stuff at wal-mart and did not want to spend the extra $10. Maybe next year.

I found THIS SITE last night while looking for ideas for my house. Seems these guy's have been decorating for the last 8 years and have done a really nice job of documenting a lot of the projects they've done. Take a look at the TECH PAGES for even more details. They're even using X-10 for some of the triggers.

The Pod

I had this site bookmarked and totally forgot about it. I actually want to build that spider this year, and maybe a cheap version of 'monster in the box'. Definitely a great site, thanks for posting!

electron said:
I actually want to build that spider this year, and maybe a cheap version of 'monster in the box'.
Here is a LINK to a "Monster in the Box" project that someone built for under $40. :) Really simple design. I have to start shopping garage sales for old electric drills and other odds and ends motors for next year. :p

The Pod

E,

This is my project for next year as I spent alot of money this year. His directions look the best for what I could find.

For really neat glowing eyes, I'd recommend picking up a couple pingpong balls, and red LEDs. Drill a small hole in theback of two pingpong balls and glue a red LED into each one. Solder your resistors and leads to the two LEDs and draw a pupil or other embellishments on the front with a Sharpie or dark paint marker. Mountin your favorite ghoul skeleton head, etc.

I used this method on this skeletal witch:

Attachments

• eyes.jpg
    eyes.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 0
I have a flying crank ghost in my living room window every year. It gets the most comments. You can find a whole lot of info on them at: http://www.phantasmechanics.com/

Another method for eyes I found by mistake was using hot glue over leds. It spreads the light out like this:

proj-2d.jpg

This is my 8 ft. grim reaper. Pretty intimidating!

That looks great Rauco!

I also found this site which has tons of ideas (I think Gordon posted it in the chat room): http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info

Some great stuff!

I am going to see how cheap those wiper motors are, maybe do something like that. I am thinking maybe use a flying hand, similar to 'Thing' and a small ghost.

I also have a power antenna module for a car, raises about 4ft or so when power is applied, so there has to be something I can do with it, since it's so easy to control.

I think you mean Thing, not Cousin It. :p

I may end up building a Flying Crank Ghost this year, along with items popping out of my bushes using power antennas...

Yea, Thing is what/who I meant ... been a while since I have seen those movies lol.

Here's a shot of last year's set-up in FL. I'min Maine now, not sure what I'll get done, if anything, this year. If you can zoom it, you can see the detail of the ghouls flying around the yard (wire around pulleys mounted on the house).

Attachments

• P1010079a.jpg
    P1010079a.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 35
Today I picked up PVC for the $20 fog chiller. Works well!

Please ignore the clutter on the floor! ;) I was too excited by the results to clean up. Also, my son thought one of his swords would look cool in the pics!

Attachments

• fogchiller.jpg
    fogchiller.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 36
Back