Halloween

I just realized that I have a spare ceiling fan motor laying around:

http://www.mydotsoft.com/products/my.Galle...album=halloween

Would it be a bad idea to use this for my flying ghost setup? It's quiet, I can connect a male plug, so I can control it with an appliance module, and shouldn't have a problem with running for long durations. I could set it to 'slow', but the only concern I have is the torque. The ghost itself shouldn't be heavy, and I am planning on using lightweight, but strong (30lbs) ice fishing line. Bad idea?

Well, it was actually overcomplicated at first. ;) I had a relay I didn't need.

My antenna had these wires:

Black: Ground
Red: Constant power
Blue: Switched power

The simple solution was an old battery charger to supply >2A for constant power, and an X10 module with a 9V wall-wart plugged in for the switched signal.

The hardest part was finding the materials and fasteners for the mount (they had to be lying around the house).

I am trying to do the ghost that flies around the yard, would this be enough torque? That is a good price for sure. Are you familiar with this specific motor (or the company)? I want to make sure it can run for a few hours without burning up. Thanks!

How that fog chiller work. I would love to be able to get my fog to stay down instead of looking like smoke

Squintz, if you are asking how well it worked, check out my post on page 2 of this thread. It worked well!

Actually tony I was asking how it actually works. Is there a link to a place where you got the PVC idea? Is it using a regular fog machine and just cooling the fog? If so how are you cooling the fog?

Squintz, this is for a common glycol-based fog machine and cools the vapor with ice. Look here. This is the one I built.

Thanks for the tip Rauco, someone used FCG on their page while discussing the Axworthy ghost, I am defintely getting more hits now.

It's easy to get the two confused. Then there's the pepper's ghost too so you can add that to the list of things to mix up :D

We made an Axworthy bat last year using one of those mechanical bats that fly in a circle from a string on the ceiling. Didn't work too well but we at least have the parts built to modify a bit.

We wound up using a food processor motor. The logic was that it was made for high torque, but the problem was duration. It was smelling a wee bit hot after a while so we had to shut it down. I'm liking the celing fan more and more.

I just saw one of those flying bats in the mall when passing a toystore, I was wondering how useful it could be, but I guess you just answered that question. Anyways, I ended up scrapping the ceiling fan motor idea, I just don't have enough parts to make it work (it's hard to physically hook up a wheel to that thing). But, I have an old breadmaker (had a bad container, so no biggie), which has a motor with a lot of torque, so I took that apart, and looks like it might work. You can easily pick up a new breadmaker for around $30 at Wal*Mart, if you think this motor is perfect.

I wish it was as quiet as the ceiling fan motor, but my wife already has a new breadmaker, so she won't miss it, and it's easy to mount. I posted some pics of the motor here:

http://www.mydotsoft.com/products/my.Galle...album=halloween

Back