Help with my Wiring Closet

Photon said:
And maybe run the security system cables through conduit to their can to prevent tampering.
Or if they're all going to cans I'd run conduit from the ceiling to there.

Finger duct only looks good for so long, especially if it's re-entered many times (or the plastic dries out with age)

DELInstallations said:
Or if they're all going to cans I'd run conduit from the ceiling to there.

Finger duct only looks good for so long, especially if it's re-entered many times (or the plastic dries out with age)

My security cables are run behind the plywood backing board.  Then through holes directly into the locking metal can.

I've found it's "least worst" to use black slit ducting.  The other colors tend to discolor over time (white being the worst).

Given a choice, assuming no room behind the board, etc. I'd go with a nice stub up to the ceiling, then install a good sized trough, like at least a 6X6 and then raceway to the enclosure. I'm more of a fan of leaving the service loops in the trough.

I'm not a fan of having to manage a pile of cables in finger duct....it looks nice until you start breaking out cables and the like into different locations and knockouts. I hate the juggling act with the cover, fingers and then watching them snap off when they age....not to mention the miters and related to get to all the knockouts on an enclosure. It has it's place, but I prefer hard piping to enclosures.

Update on my low voltage wiring.  I'm using the wall mounted rack for cat6, coaxial, and speakers.  I only did conduit entering the ceiling as there is no security issue (and still have some cleanup to do).  Not done all the wiring here yet, but probably 80% on this section.  Still have the Soekris box and a 2nd switch to add, along with a shelf at the bottom.  I start on the Elk M1 next week and will be looking at the suggestions here for keeping it tamper proof.

Attachments

• Rack Update.jpg
    Rack Update.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 56
Back