Homeseer Resource Page

WayneW said:
Rupp said:
HST does have both sets of code. No more needs to be said.
A LOT more needs to be said after a comment like that. Rupp, are you speaking your opinion or speaking as an employee of HST? Does HST have Blade's source code? Blade says he never gave it to them, so how did they get it?

Rupp, your statement implies that HST has examined both sets of source code, found evidence of theft and has condemned Blade as a thief. Is that HST's position and can/will they defend it?

If you are merely implying that HST has looked at the UI of both plugins and it is HST's opinion that they are plugins with similar functionality, then please clarify your damning comment.

Through out the years, there have been a number of similar plugins and scripts created, some paid, some free. Is it now HST's policy that creations with similar functionality will have the author banned and censored from the HST message board?
Wayne,
I deleted my post. It was wrong.

The reason Bob's URLs is being blocked is because it's in violation of the BB rules about posting URLs of competing products.
..posters are prohibited from posting any message that promotes or contains links to companies, products or services that compete directly with HomeSeer Technologies.

Blade said:
Greg,

I will restate this again. I did not steal any of Jims code at all. I wrote it from scratch. I had thought that thread was dead but I guess people are still holding a grudge about it because since then Rich no longer replies to any of my emails, which is very sad indeed.

I also submitted a help desk ticket last week and have not heard one word about it since I entered it. I am assuming that they are just not talking to me anymore, which is their choice I guess. I was told the help desk ticket was resolved but I have not seem any reply about it. If indeed it is resolved then a reply would be the least they could do.

I don't know what else to say so I will leave it at that
Bob,
The guys are not avoiding you. The reason the help ticket has not be addressed is because Rick and Geoff were both on Vacation.

Rupp said:
The reason Bob's URLs is being blocked is because it's in violation of the BB rules about posting URLs of competing products.
..posters are prohibited from posting any message that promotes or contains links to companies, products or services that compete directly with HomeSeer Technologies.
How is Bob competing directly with HomeSeer Technologies? The only way that I could see that is if because Bob is selling his plugins without going through HomeSeer that HST doesn't get their slice of the pie. But I would hardly call that competing. Therefore, would anybody that has a link to a site offering free scripts or plugins also be in violation of that very tight interpretation? How many other people have been censored by HST? It is curious how HST chose to enforce this only after the latest incident as Blade's URL was allowed for many months before that.

WayneW said:
Rupp said:
How is Bob competing directly with HomeSeer Technologies? The only way that I could see that is if because Bob is selling his plugins without going through HomeSeer that HST doesn't get their slice of the pie. But I would hardly call that competing. Therefore, would anybody that has a link to a site offering free scripts or plugins also be in violation of that very tight interpretation? How many other people have been censored by HST? It is curious how HST chose to enforce this only after the latest incident as Blade's URL was allowed for many months before that.
Wayne,
Bob is selling his own plugins.

Rupp said:
Bob is selling his own plugins.
Since Bob's plugins still require a HomeSeer purchase and may even encourage more HomeSeer sales, that sounds more like a partnership than a direct competitor to me. But it is their sandbox, they can make the rules and enforce them as they wish. Has HST officially told Bob why his URL is banned/censored?

Does this mean that linking to my.elk is in direct violation of that policy as well (same goes for the many other freebies posted on other sites)?

Wayne

I have talked with Rich (it was a little while ago) and I agreed that it was not right for me to post my web site link on their forum so I removed it. I cannot be held responsible for what others post tho.

You would think that the plugins would really be helping them as you said. More people might see the plugins (which are only compatible with HS 2.1 or greater and maybe prompt the user to upgrade which means money for HST.

I do not know what there thinking is behind this. Like you said... they make the rules

Well we KNOW for a FACT that 2 people upgraded to HS 2.1 just to use one of Bobs plugins...

Thats 2 extr sales HST got because of a competitive plugin..

Im lost

TrOjAn

QUOTE (Rupp @ Aug 14 2006, 01:34 PM)
..posters are prohibited from posting any message that promotes or contains links to companies, products or services that compete directly with HomeSeer Technologies. How is Bob competing directly with HomeSeer Technologies? The only way that I could see that is if because Bob is selling his plugins without going through HomeSeer that HST doesn't get their slice of the pie. But I would hardly call that competing. Therefore, would anybody that has a link to a site offering free scripts or plugins also be in violation of that very tight interpretation? How many other people have been censored by HST? It is curious how HST chose to enforce this only after the latest incident as Blade's URL was allowed for many months before that.
I noticed that not all plugin authors go through HST to distribute/sell their wares. Look at Jim, he has two in the HST download section but he has others that he sell via his website. Given how Bob is being classified, wouldn't Jim fall into the same catogory?

- Mike

Every time I am on the verge of upgrading to HS 2.1 something like this comes up that makes me want to stear clear of the whole HS community.

upstatemike said:
Every time I am on the verge of upgrading to HS 2.1 something like this comes up that makes me want to stear clear of the whole HS community.
Why does this make you want to stay away? Most of this thread is misinformation. With a user base the size of HomeSeer you are bound to have a tiff or two along the way. A very old line in the sand was crossed and the HS community is dealing with it. Nothing has changed you can still buy Bob's or Jim's plugin and move on. You can even still use Jim's DooMotion scripts if you so choose for free.

I don't see any misinformation Rupp, and the fact that HST isn't interested in damage control is probably the main reason why people are steering clear from HS, I know I am now.

Dan,
Again I think you and others are seeing this as a much bigger deal than it really is. I'll not comment any further so as to make it a bigger deal than it really is.

Electron,

I whole-heartedly agree with you. I find it very strange (and somewhat sad) that Rich and the Homeseer crew (minus Rupp) won't even post on their own message board and explain their actions, let alone here. I'm getting the idea that HS management is no longer interested in their core user base (US!) and is instead switching their attention to commercial applications/users.

After all is said and done, the HS users that were using/debugging/contributing to HS from the very beginning are being given the cold shoulder and are ignored when it comes to our perception of HS as a company and the company's policies/direction. Should we all be rethinking our investment in HS? I know I am!

Chuck

Back