Install Insteon in the house, what things I still

1984911Porsche

I have Insteon installed in the house, and using Houselinc to set up timers and events.

I want to know take it to the next level and do the following.

1. Install IR remote for specfic rooms.
2. Be able to program the thermostat?

3. Close the garage from my bedroom if I notice that it is open.

So do I need to upgrade to a more enhanced software program?

Thanks

You can use HouseLinc to translate x10 IR signals to Insteon signals, but the rest of that list requires more powerful tools.

HAL 2000 and HomeSeer both support conditional events and thermostats and allow you to control devices from another computer on your home network or the internet via a web interface, or via voice recognition. mControl or Life|ware will let you control things with your TV and a media center pc. MainLobby will let you set up your own touch-screen interfaces. There are lots of great options available.

As I already mentioned elsewhere, any solution you use to close the garage ought to include CCTV or some way to absolutely prevent crushing something/someone, plus some way to lock out unintended operation.

Tom

1984911Porsche said:
I have Insteon installed in the house, and using Houselinc to set up timers and events.

I want to know take it to the next level and do the following.

1. Install IR remote for specfic rooms.
2. Be able to program the thermostat?

3. Close the garage from my bedroom if I notice that it is open.

So do I need to upgrade to a more enhanced software program?

Thanks
I am in the same situation as you. I have about 20 Insteon switches installed and about another 10 which have not yet been installed. For a number of reasons, I've decided to ditch it all and replace everything with z-wave switches because I need/want more than Insteon can do at this point. And since it appears SH is not releasing new products or getting third parties to develop and release products, I really felt I had no choice.

I'm sure there will be more products in the future, but the remote control is like a year late and who knows when there will be a motion sensor. When I bought my switches 18 months ago, they said the remote was due out in a few months. On the plus side, they at least demoed the remote at CES, but now there are conflicting reports that say the current RF repeaters won't be compatible and will require a new RF transceiver base. Hopefully this is not the case. But since the remote is *still* not out, we just don't know.

So, Sorka, no matter what *brand* of hardware you use, you eventually need software to tie everything together and allow it to work together in more sophisticated ways.

What software are you using to coordinate your lighting, appliances, HVAC, motion sensors and IR remotes with home automation needs that go beyond simple hardware capabilities? What ties your thermostat to home occupancy detection and changes behavior based on time of day, day of week, holiday or other conditions? Do any of your wall switches or keypads trigger different lighting or heating scenes based on similar conditions?

I'm still wondering about that remote garage door activation. My favorite solution would be CCTV and image processing software that would be smart enough to recognize obstructions or potential risk of obstruction (pet/person/moving toy or vehicle in the field of view) before and while operating the door, but I don't know of anyone selling such a thing for the home market yet.

Tom

Currently, I'm using my own software written with LabVIEW. It integrates 3\4 systems:

1) My insteon lighting controls.
2) My video surveillance system which is go1984 written by a company in Germany called Logiware. An awsome product with LOUSY technical support, yet I still paid $850 for a license because it does things with video motion detection no other product does. It also has the best region masking that I've seen yet for masking out plant motion from wind and such. Plus it's one of the few that can mix video sources from both video capture cards and ip cameras. I'm running a number of 1280x960 Toshiba IKWB-11A cameras and the detail is truly fantastic. I'm running pelco cameras in the areas around the property that don't have good light.
3) X10 motion sensors.
4) Dsc 832 alarm system.

Some examples of things the system does:

If it's night time and someone drives up to the end of hour cul-de-sac, the lights at the front of the yard come on for a short period.
If someone drives into the driveway, more lights come on closer to the house.
If the garage door is opened at night, the light inside turns on.
If the alarm is armed, various lights come on outside the house and various lights go on and off inside the house in a staggard fashion depending on which cameras and motion sensors are triggered.
If any of the breezway or back porch cameras are breached while the alarm is armed, LabVIEW throws a relay for outside speakers in those areas and using to text to speech, warns whoever is there that they are being recorded.
If it's during the day time and in the breezway, then it announces a friendly visitor message(UPS delivers to the breezway a lot).
If the phone line is disconnected, the outside speakers near the phone box announce that the phone line has been removed and that the alarm system is switching over to cellular backup. I don't actually have a cellular backup ;-)
If the power is cut, the alarm system tells LV and another message saying that AC power has been cut and the system is switching over to battery. The PC and surveillance system are on a UPS.
When arming the alarm system in away mode, various lights are turned off if on and things like our instant hot water dispenser which is on an appliance module is shut off.
If alarmed in stay mode, relays for speakers inside the house give us short text to speech messages when certain motion detectors or cameras are activated. The cameras in front of the house don't let us know as people occasionally drive up to the end of our cul-de-sac in the middle of the day. Our house is the only one on the cul-de-sac, so I get notified in the middle of the night if a car approaches because there's no good reason for a car to be driving up to our house in the middle of the night. This rarely happends. Of course the lights in front come on when they get within a 150 of the front yard.

We live in a low crime neighborhood near a city that has high crime and poverty. My house was broken into last year in the middle of the day. The alarm system scared them off. I now have a system that I feel will scare anyone off who isn't supposed to be there. Last year, all the of the lighted deer decorations were molested (made to look like they were procreating ;). Ourse included. It happened again this year to every deer in the neighborhood, except ours. The culprit must of known we had surveillance system already because the night it happened to everyone else, nobody approached our house this time.

So back the original question. My own software for now, but I'm looking at homeseer too. I suspect HS will do most what anyone needs. I like having my own stuff for now because I know if I need something, I'll be able to do it. But it doesn't have all of the features that HS has...features I might use if I didn't have to spend time coding.

Go1984 for video surveillance? Orwell must be turning over in his grave!

I've only written a couple of HA-related hacks here, no full-blown all-encompassing killer HA application. HAL Deluxe takes care of all the automation heavy lifting, and its wizard-based interface makes it a snap to add devices, rules, room scenes, house modes and notifications.

I like what I've seen people do with HomeSeer's web interface, but I didn't want to go to the trouble of custom-building the thing. HAL's HomeNet interface is simple but fully automatic--you just select a box in the Add Device wizard if you want a particular device, flag, variable or sensor to automagically appear on the appropriate HomeNet page.

Tom

fitzpatri8 said:
I'm still wondering about that remote garage door activation. My favorite solution would be CCTV and image processing software that would be smart enough to recognize obstructions or potential risk of obstruction (pet/person/moving toy or vehicle in the field of view) before and while operating the door, but I don't know of anyone selling such a thing for the home market yet.
Feel free to PM me, I have some things that might work for you. The problem is as much with how many cameras as it is anything else. In your garage door example you would really want 2 cameras. In that example IR beams are much more practical.

Just saw your post... I too am a Labview programmer... since 1993... and I wrote a GUI frontend for my whole house music system and was interfaces with Homeseer but have since moved onto using Netremote for the GUI and Homeseer for the backend.

John

Back