Insteon Beta Software For M1/EZ8

Update: While I did get Insteon working (with the Elk), it is not as reliable as I would have hoped. I've attributed this to needing more signalinc's and I have more on the way. I'll provide feedback once I get them in place.

The other thing I found helpful (most likely related to my situation however) is that when I tried to link multiple lights, it would invariably miss some. If I did each one separately and confirmed via blinking lights before ending the programming, it worked out much better.

I did find one circuit that I could not link, that I am assuming an additional signallinc on that circuit and another in another location will cleanup.

One surprising piece with this particular light: It has an outside front light that is linked to one (on another circuit) by the front door. They are linked to each other so hitting one will turn the other on (the scenario where I referenced the slight delay as well).

If I manually hit either light, they trigger the other light. However if I ask the elk to turn on the front light, the linked light does not go off. I'm going to retest once I get the new signalincs in and have a decent 'mesh network' going.

Mike,

Some things I discovered that may or may not help you:

I had a bad switch that you couldn't control using Insteon. I wasn't able to link it to anything (XSP or controlinc) yet all local control worked. I replaced it and kept going. Might that be the same issue with one of your lights?

Also I have two switchlincs in a 3 way configuration. They are both linked to each other so the status light bars match regardless of the location I control it from. When controlled by the XSP, or the controllinc for that matter, the light changes but the linked remote switch doesn't change status. It's like "remote" control of the light doesn't trigger the link like "local" control does. I assume this to be an Insteon design choice or shortcoming. So with the XSP I can only link one side of a 3way unless I configure two lighting devices. I think this is what you're seeing.

SpaceCowboy said:
Mike,

Some things I discovered that may or may not help you:

I had a bad switch that you couldn't control using Insteon. I wasn't able to link it to anything (XSP or controlinc) yet all local control worked. I replaced it and kept going. Might that be the same issue with one of your lights?

Also I have two switchlincs in a 3 way configuration. They are both linked to each other so the status light bars match regardless of the location I control it from. When controlled by the XSP, or the controllinc for that matter, the light changes but the linked remote switch doesn't change status. It's like "remote" control of the light doesn't trigger the link like "local" control does. I assume this to be an Insteon design choice or shortcoming. So with the XSP I can only link one side of a 3way unless I configure two lighting devices. I think this is what you're seeing.
Remember with Insteon if you set up a 2-way link between 2 switches to create a virtual 3-way configuration, that is an arrangement between those 2 devices only.

If you add an XSP to the mix you have to establish links between it and BOTH switches.

If you add a ContoLinc to the mix you have to link the button to BOTH switches plus the XSP so everything knows about the tansmission.

The links add up quickly:

2 switches cross linked = 2 links

3 switches cross linked = 6 links

4 switches cross linked = 12 links

etc.

If you have a pair of cross linked switches and you want to control them from a third device you cannot just link to the master switch to "control the set". The third device does not know about the existing link and can only talk to each device separately.

Hi,

I have the serial port expander connected to my RCS thermostat. I am new to this stuff so what I can gather is that if I need to add an powerlinc insteon 2414s. I would need to get another ELK-M1XSP.

Please confirm.

Regards,

noshali,
You are correct. Each M1XSP gives you one serial port of expansion. The thermostat uses one and the Insteon uses one. The program inside the M1XSP converts the protocol of the RCS thermostat or Insteon lighting device to the M1's common thermostat or lighting device protocol.

Welcome to the M1 family.

Back