Insteon Switches in an Unheated Garage? A Bad Idea?

I think I may have found some of the answers to my own questions. The Leviton Vizia RF+ site for installers at http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=38039&minisite=10251 is surprisingly helpful for getting your feet wet in HA and understanding things like controlling low voltage lights and the like. The free online training on RF+ was especially useful in getting the terminology correct. For example, as a PLC guy, I never understood that a thing that looked like a "light switch" was a possible controller. I/O maybe, but a controller? I thought controllers were little bricks...

Right now I am leaning to Zwave as the products seem just a bit more professional than Insteon and not that much more money. Just wish there was a ISY-99 for Zwave, but I will start another thread on that.

Right now I am leaning to Zwave as the products seem just a bit more professional than Insteon and not that much more money. Just wish there was a ISY-99 for Zwave, but I will start another thread on that.

The ISY 994i has a zwave radio to be released shortly. I don't exactly know how z-wave works as far as protocol and whatnot so it may be that only a limited number of devices are supported at first as ISY firmware gets expanded. Or maybe zwave is more universal from device to device and individual product coding in the firmware isn't necessary. I don't know.

This post came up while I was researching the cold tolerance of Insteon Linc parts.

I am in northern New England, planning some home automation of our year-round outdoor lighting, joining several separate lines together as a scene and also gain remote control of some individual features; via a controller and mobile phone.

The insteon specs point out you need to live where it doesn't freeze and that the only thing out in the cold should be done with an appliancelinc, which complicates matters, drives the price up and then requires hiding those dongles.

So, I was happy to hear some people have not seen their insteon devices fall apart within one winter.

I wanted to ask the members who are using insteon parts (Like light switches, relay switches and maybe receptacles inside a shed or outside in an outdoor enclosure) in prolonged freezing conditions (as in not reaching 32F as a daytime high for a month or more) if the parts they installed are still holding up after a few years of outdoor sheltered but unheated use?

active use where something controls pathway lights every night?
inactive use where something controls the pool lights or pond pump, which are only used 6 months of the year?

anything that has failed after a few seasons? that may be more sensitive than other devices?

Did you take any extra measures, besides regular installation, as an extra ounce of (pre)caution to maybe try to keep things warmer, minimize humidity, ...? Like maybe install switches even though they are in the shed, in an outdoor receptacle that is waterproof & airtight instead of a regular plastic or metal gang box? Or maybe that would be detrimental and cause issues with dew points when it freezes at night and thaws during the day ... and a more open to the air installation in a regular gang box is desired?

Thank you for sharing your experiences :)

From what I have seen at the carnival, chickens are able to turn the lights on on their own...no need for automation

From what I have seen at the carnival, chickens are able to turn the lights on on their own...no need for automation

I hear you, but in we are trying to trick the girls into laying overtime. I use the SUNRISE/SUNSET params and automation to give them 14 hours of daylight, even though winter is coming. Normally they slack off on the eggs when the days get shorter. Ba GAWK!

I wanted to ask the members who are using insteon parts (Like light switches, relay switches and maybe receptacles inside a shed or outside in an outdoor enclosure) in prolonged freezing conditions (as in not reaching 32F as a daytime high for a month or more) if the parts they installed are still holding up after a few years of outdoor sheltered but unheated use?

active use where something controls pathway lights every night?
inactive use where something controls the pool lights or pond pump, which are only used 6 months of the year?

ToggleLinc Relay in a completely exposed fixture (with a waterproof housing), in central Massachusetts, controlling a pool pump. It's been buried in snow for months, no problems whatsoever, nor did I take any special measures with it beyond the housing.

Electron has mentioned that his UPB appliance modules get buried in the snow in the winter and hold up fine as well :eek:

I forgot about my shed switch link. It has been in operation for several years without issue in PA. In fact, I got some more used devices and just installed some more in the garage to control more outdoor lighting. I also switched out some relay models to dimmers and I now have the relay modules in the garage to control 2 zones of high bay lighting. Sometimes the convenience is worth having to replace a module every 5 to xx years anyway...

Thanks guys.

With your reassurances I put my order in today for an ISY and several outdoor appliancelincs to get my toes wet. I'll order the rest of the "indoor" parts later. I've got things sketched out on paper and got a pretty good idea what I want & need to start with, but I want a little more time to think things through and do some comparison shopping.

I am a bit peeved @ Smarthome that they in bold advertise free shipping >$200, but then when you complete your offer purchase actually deny it on $500 of stuff because I don't have a commercial address?? Nor do they even allow a measly $10 off coupon?? Come'on.

icerabbit - honestly I think Insteon as a protocol would do better if Smarthome.com allowed others to sell it - they don't have the best reputation, especially among dealers. They're kinda tough to work with. That said, those who have chosen Insteon over the last few years don't seem to be complaining; in fact, they support the product pretty well.

Thanks Work2Play. From my reading in the past week, it seems that insteon products have held up better in recent years. Smarthome policies and customer service sound average. Not uncommon to get slow & expensive RMAs. Compared to some other less flexible cheaper solutions, and downright premium; it seems insteon has a good product and a pretty flexible system that is supposed to overcome some shortcomings of other brands/technologies; so that's why I'm deciding to go ahead with it. It is not an inexpensive endeavour but at the same time I'm not going to replace the bulk of the switches in the house, and it is something one can do on their own time and expand later.

I have a deck over the grill lamp. Until a recent issue; the Insteon switch controlling the over the grill lamp was mounted adjacent to the grill in an outdoor type electrical box. It held up fine for the last few years. Just recently installed a UPB switch in its place.

Yes that whole commercial shipping thing is B.S. I agree, false advertising. Next time I get an order ready I am going to call and complain and see if I can get them to convert it to REAL free shipping....

The last few newsletters I have gotten with a % Off for a $100 order. Had the Insteon products listed as not counted for the $100 minimum order.

Back