"Intro to HA via CQC/Elk" webinar

IVB

Gotten several pings about when the next "Intro to HA" webinar will be. Please reply on this thread if you're interested. Once we get 7-10 folks expressing interest, i'll schedule another one. I'd want to make sure we get at least a half dozen folks in any session, as I think folks learn more when they hear other people's questions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the "Intro to HA using CQC & the Elk Automation Panel" webinar.

This online webinar & teleconference is designed to be a 100 minute overview as to how to perform HA & HT using CQC and the Elk automation panel. It is targeted to the newbie who wants to know how to do HA. It is not recorded as it generally sucks to try and synch up the audio teleconference and the video, besides it creates a whopping big file. Since we do it every 6-8 weeks, it's not that big a deal to catch the next one.

There is a dialin phone # and listening is critical as that's where the information is disseminated. If someone out there knows how to bridge telephone and VoIP, we may be able to beg Helheim for his TeamSpeak server so that you can use your PC to listen in.

There is no "HA 201" as that's what our monthly user group webex's are designed to be.

Requested but not mandatory prep
1) Read chapter 1 of this doc - i'll be referencing that during the intro.
2) As many of the tutorial videos as you can stand. There's 24 of them now, ideally watch all 4 of the installation ones and the first 2 of the action, event, and graphical interface sections. That's 10 total.

Agenda
"Intro" (15 mins)
This portion will familiarize you with how I did HA, what bits of which programs I used where to accomplish my goals.
- My personal reasons for HA, my architecture (5mins)
- Overall system components overview (15mins)
- CQC High-Level Overview & when to use each program(10 mins)

"Applied Theory" (60mins)
(this portion will help you understand what to do after you finish installing it on your PC, and how to make it do what you want to do. I'll cover the major aspects, as each person is likely to have different goals)
- CQC Admin Interface (how to tell CQC what hardware and software you have)
- CQC Interface Building (how to create an interface to display and control your hw/sw)
- CQC Event Engine (scheduled events like HVAC, triggered events like IR receipt)
- CQC Media Repository Engine (aka CDs and DVDs)

"Theory of Elk" (10mins)
- Setting up an Elk/ElkRP overview
- Setting up Automation rules inside the Elk

"Elk/CQC Integration" (20 mins)
- Getting the Elk and CQC to work together to accomplish something based on a physical occurence (ie, turn off all the A/V & HVAC & ... if the security system is armed. Turn on a light if there's motion/closet door is opened)

2. Interest here live in Australia -9.5 GMT what date and time in your part of th eworld?

Cheers,

Fleetz

Count me in. I have the M1 and Homeseer but will be evaluating CQC and Mainlobby to decide what I want to do with the front end.

fleetz said:
2. Interest here live in Australia -9.5 GMT what date and time in your part of th eworld?

Cheers,

Fleetz
Aren't you +9.5GMT? I'm -8.0GMT. The standard 8:30am PST time means 1:30am your time, so that wouldn't work.

We could do a 6:30 PM PST Friday night, 9:30PM EST Friday night, 11:30am Saturday your time as there's a few Oz folks interested. Plus we might get some other folks who wouldn't normally be vertical at 8:30am PST.

For the others, is either 6:30pm on a Friday night or 8:30am on a Saturday am doable? I know i cannot do this Saturday am, not sure about Fri night though.

IVB said:
fleetz said:

Cheers,

Fleetz
Aren't you +9.5GMT? I'm -8.0GMT. The standard 8:30am PST time means 1:30am your time, so that wouldn't work.

We could do a 6:30 PM PST Friday night, 9:30PM EST Friday night, 11:30am Saturday your time as there's a few Oz folks interested. Plus we might get some other folks who wouldn't normally be vertical at 8:30am PST.

For the others, is either 6:30pm on a Friday night or 8:30am on a Saturday am doable? I know i cannot do this Saturday am, not sure about Fri night though.
Opppsss yes your correct missed by 1 key! :)

I am Ok with 1130am Saturday if it fits the other folks. I am flexible so just let me know when it is firmed up.

Cheers,

Fleetz

IVB said:

I'm in (if I have recovered from the time change :)) - EST

Acropolis

Who here will be able to attend Friday 3/23 @6:30pm PST/9:30pm EST/1:30pm Australia time? You should allocate 2 hours, but we'll try and get through most of it in 1.5.

Did the math wrong, it's 12:30pm Eastern Australia time. Forgot that we just flipped onto Daylight Savings...

IVB said:
Who here will be able to attend Friday 3/23 @6:30pm PST/9:30pm EST/1:30pm Australia time? You should allocate 2 hours, but we'll try and get through most of it in 1.5.
I'm probably out if it is the 23rd. I have another obligtation that night. I misunderstood and thought you were talking about this coming Friday night.

Acropolis

IVB said:
Did the math wrong, it's 12:30pm Eastern Australia time. Forgot that we just flipped onto Daylight Savings...
Hi IVB,

We are daylight saving time here too. I am in central Australia (Adelaide) time variations you suggesting are no problem. I just need to make sure we are synchroised as far as the start time.

I have not done a webinar before so please let me know what the link is join in.....thanks.

Regards,

Fleetz

Back