is it possible to make an ELK rule .....

v1rtu0s1ty

Ok folks, I would like to prepare a rule for next summer. ;) Hehehe. Is this possible though?

This should be done after M1 has been ARMed.

If after 1 hour and M1 does not sense any motion/movement, convert motion sensor to perimeter instant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil. I just tried to program a rule based on your scenario and I could not find the ability to change a zone definition in ELKRP.

What about brute force? Have the rule close a relay to shunt the zone. Then close a second relay to move the detectors from the zone they are on to a zone defined with the second zone type. Finally activate a third relay that will unshunt the new zone that would have been shunted (via NC contacts on third relay) until the transfer.

On disarm all three relays should be turned off so the second zone is again shunted and the original zone has the detectors again.

There are several ways to do this.

One way is to set a 1 hour timer upon arming and reset the timer with each trip of the motion sensor. When the timer expires force arm the motion sensor zone.

Be careful that you don't make it so you cannot enter the house to dis-arm the system without tripping the motion sensor.

Cliff s

By the way, the reason I want to do this is because during summer, we always open our windows so that air can enter. However, if I do that, the window is not secure anymore. So if window is not monitored anymore, I want the motion sensor to take in effect instead.

I will also be adding another rule so that around 5:30 AM, disable motion sensor. I will try your suggestion tonight.

Thanks!

How about this:

1. Upon M1 being armed, set the Output 100 to 'On' for 1 hour.
2. Whenever Motion Detected and Output 100 is 'On' Then Turn Output 100 'On' again for another 1 hour.
2. When output 100 becomes 'Off' (this implies no motion for last hour), then Set output 101 to 'On'.
3. Whenever Motion Detected and Output 101 is 'On' and system armed, then initiate Alarm.
4. Whenever Alarm is disarmed, turn off Output 101 and 100.

I guess it would depend on the layout of your house but could you define the motions as Burg Interior Nite Delay? That way they will only be armed in Away or Nite modes (not Stay mode) and you will have some time to disarm the system if you cause the motion to trip during the night. And if the keypad where you enter is not covered by a motion than you can disarm the system from Away mode without tripping an alarm.

johndoe74 said:
How about this:

1. Upon M1 being armed, set the Output 100 to 'On' for 1 hour.
2. Whenever Motion Detected and Output 100 is 'On' Then Turn Output 100 'On' again for another 1 hour.
2. When output 100 becomes 'Off' (this implies no motion for last hour), then Set output 101 to 'On'.
3. Whenever Motion Detected and Output 101 is 'On' and system armed, then initiate Alarm.
4. Whenever Alarm is disarmed, turn off Output 101 and 100.
Actually, I was just coding a rule and it's not finished yet. I like your idea though.
Mine is

1. Whenever AREA1 becomes ARMED, turn OUTPUT 101 to ON
2. Whenever every 1 seconds and output 101 state is ON, then ADD 1 to XCounter
3. Whenever Xcounter Changes to a value greater than 3600, then ..............

Now, I cannot find a setting on how to convert the motion sensor so that it becomes Perimeter Instant.

I might have to follow your rules then. ;)

And yes, when I go to the keypad in the laundry, I won't be seen by my motion sensor.

cliffs said:
There are several ways to do this.

One way is to set a 1 hour timer upon arming and reset the timer with each trip of the motion sensor. When the timer expires force arm the motion sensor zone.

Be careful that you don't make it so you cannot enter the house to dis-arm the system without tripping the motion sensor.

Cliff s
Looks like if I go the timer route, I may have to create a new AREA.

hi johndoe74,

I also got stucked. I couldn't find anywhere where I can convert the motion sensor so that it becomes Perimeter Instant or somewhat similar to what I want to happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

acheslow said:
I guess it would depend on the layout of your house but could you define the motions as Burg Interior Nite Delay? That way they will only be armed in Away or Nite modes (not Stay mode) and you will have some time to disarm the system if you cause the motion to trip during the night. And if the keypad where you enter is not covered by a motion than you can disarm the system from Away mode without tripping an alarm.
Neil, I think the above quote is the way you are going to have to think this. I don't think ELKRP will do what you want it to do. I still need a Burglar Interior Night Delay Follower zone.

Johndoes method is the best imho since you can't change definitions on the fly. When the zone trips, you manually sound the siren, etc.

My issue is I think you will get alot of false alarms. Unless you have a completely fence in area and no wildlife or anything, you will get nuisance trips. I would either use a curtain type sensor - Optex makes a good one like this or a photobeam like this, or a wired screen. Believe me, the cost will save your insanity the first time you get startled out of bed in the middle of the night because of a nuisance trip.

I would feel more comfortable using these to trigger an alarm outside instead of a regular PIR. Then I would set them up as a timer like johndoe described, except I would not wait the hour, I would just use these and have a rule that if they were tripped maybe I would flash a light or chirp a siren as a warning, then if it tripped again within like 10 seconds, sound the alarm, etc.

Edit: Ok, I missed the point entirely, you are wanting to use you internal PIR for this. Well, anyway and outdoor detector like I mentioned would still work.

I think that any good security system should always have outdoor sensors. Not necesarily to trigger the alarm but to let anybody inside the house know if there is people or animals wandering the house perimeter. You can have it annouce movement whenever the system is armed.

Back