Premise jQuery Mobile MiniBrowser UI - Preview

Motorola Premise
OK, I finally got my test machine with premise up and running again. I can continue my work on the jQuery Mobile UI. I have been away for a while and I can see that chucklyons is continuing to work with jQuery. That is awesome!! I am going to start using css media queries so that we can have a different looking UI for different sized devices, but still only have to maintain one code base. I am going to finish what I started with mobile, then move to tablet, then finish with desktop.

So,the roadmap I posted earlier will hopefully be easier to follow
  1. Get everything working so that you can do at least everything you can do with standard MB
  2. Get it to display correctly on mobile devices
  3. Tablet Display
  4. Computer/Big Screen Display
  5. Clean up code so that it is easy to follow and customize
  6. Add bells and whistles
  7. Release code

Alas, not yet, but I'm getting there....I can force a refresh when changing between panels (accordion panels), which is a poor man's method, but it works. jQuery has a function 'Ajaxify' that gives a fairly decent AJAX effect, but it still requires interaction from the user.

I suspect I'll have to seek help from one of my smart developer friends....(are you still at the same email address?) ^_^
I use ajax to determine the state of each control, but I don't use it on the status page. I might be able to come up with something that you can use for the accordion.

Ajax polling would be great (and plenty for all intents and purposes)! Heck, just having a modern interface for my phone would be a HUGE improvement.

Feel free to PM if you have Premise questions and we can touch base. I'm an EE not a programmer(unless it's assembly), but I have studied the inner workings of Premise a bunch and developed many modules at this point.

I'm very impressed with the level of responsiveness. I know it's not much considering the time you have spent, but I predict a donation of at least $75 and maybe equipment donations (if I have anything that will work with your setup) ;)

Yes! This forum has been very responsive with financial and/or equipment donations..in fact, I am about to upload my Ferrari module, but need to do some unit testing, first! ^_^ Help, anyone?

Seriously, once you release it, make sure your Paypal information is correct....

The polling is very interesting to me. Are you actually polling Premise for the property state changes or are you using the subscription mechanism? Keep up the good work!!!!

The polling is very interesting to me. Are you actually polling Premise for the property state changes or are you using the subscription mechanism? Keep up the good work!!!!
I am polling Premise. What is the subscription mechanism?

I was hoping you had figured out the "back door" subscription mechanism that the sysconnector uses. I've seen references to it in this and the original forums. Maybe some of the original Premise developers are monitoring this thread and can give us some help.

I am curious about this too as one of Premise's creators (JimSpr) says this is possible in post #7 of this thread:
http://cocoontech.co...ad-syslightzip/

You could try contacting him; his name and one of his past employers are in this thread:
http://cocoontech.co...silverlight-ui/

I don't know if Jim uses linkedin, but it's worth a shot. Another knowledgeable person, and a very nice guy too, is Damon Dean. He owns an integration company now and can be reached via contact info found on http://www.digital-residence.com . I don't think Damon or Jim monitor these forums, but I could be wrong.

After reading the syslight thread, the subscription mechanism is not possible with jQuery at this time. Once all browser support Web sockets, then it can be revisited.

Do you actually have documentation on the subscription mechanism? I would love to see how it's done under the covers. If I can get that, I can do a .NET version of the MiniBroker.

Do you actually have documentation on the subscription mechanism? I would love to see how it's done under the covers. If I can get that, I can do a .NET version of the MiniBroker.
I don't. Once I read that a socket has to stay open, I knew that it was impossible for a js client side implementation.

Unless someone uses Premise for a hotel or multi-level office building with a hundred users or more, I think fast and smart polling (only poll relevant devices for the page(s) being viewed) as you've done will be fine as most of us use modern PC's that by far exceed the minimum requirements to run Premise (PIII >=800MHz, 128 MB ram)

The thing with Premise is that the vbscripts in Builder all run in a common thread, while the native drivers (add-ins) can run in separate threads. While you poll, other things will continue to execute in the vbscript interpreter's thread, that is until your polling timer expires. Once the timer expires, it is then that the code for that timer will be executed (e.g. once the interpreter reaches the line of code for execution. I'm not sure how big of a buffer Premise has). This has never been an issue for me and I have about 100 devices connected to Premise, but it's something to keep in mind.

Back