LED life in powerline dimmer controls

shenandoah75

Be it vizia/upb/etc... won't the constantly glowing indicator leds burn out? All those led bulb replacement quote life in the 10's of 1000's of hours...

thx
-brad

I did a quick calculation and the LED's should last about 11 1/2 years.

And I do believe that the max hours, as stated, are if the device is running at 100% of its rated capacity. Most engineers will not run a LED that way. There is no filament to 'burn out' in LEDs. The only way I know of to kill one is to exceed the power dissipation capacity (I have done that on several occasions). Other than that, the things should just about last 'forever'. The LEDs (and the HA stuff they are in) will most likely be obsolete prior to the LED burning out. :lol:

Ken

thx guys - I really hope hope so - cause looking at the vizia devices, neither the level bar not the indicator on the bottom look too servicable...

I plan on being here hopefully over 11 years... even depreciating what will likely become a $4k investment over that time would be saddening!

thx
-brad

thx guys - I really hope hope so - cause looking at the vizia devices, neither the level bar not the indicator on the bottom look too servicable...

I plan on being here hopefully over 11 years... even depreciating what will likely become a $4k investment over that time would be saddening!

thx
-brad

11.5 years at 100,000 hours rating. With some switches the LED goes off (Insteon) when the light is on. Add the total "on time" to the 11.5 years...

I'm not worried. By that time there will be something new, better, cooler and I'll probably want it.

Back