Leviton 51120-PTC Surge Protection Modules

Smarty

I use a Leviton 51120-PTC Surge Protection panel. My incoming telephone and TV cables first go through this box and then on to the rest of my HA and house distribution. Lately, my broadband cable modem has been disconnecting. A cable tech has check it, and has told me that my inline surge suppression part of the above system is degrading the cable signal. I hate to put a cable amplified BEFORE my 51120-PTC, but unless I can get a stronger signal, I may have to.

Thinking that maybe my inline surge module may have "degraded " over time (this set up has worked previously for 3 years), I contacted Leviton to see where I could get a replacement cable module. Here is what I wrote them:

Where can I order a replacement plugin module for the F-connector CATV/Satellite module in this device? My cable company tells me that my cable signal (digitla and broadband internet) is diminished when running it through this module.

This is what the said:
Thank you for your inquiry. The cable company is right in that your getting loss running through that connector first. Anytime you have a coupling or a splice point in a cable run you will have resulting insertion loss. There is no replacement for the connector in that module. Sometimes an incoming cable signal may be too weak to be run through this module without it being amplified first. Check with you service provider for an amplifier as we do not offer one for digital service. Please feel free to respond with any questions.

Here is my question: Do these plugin modules degrade like MOV surge protection devices? Other ideas?

A little google goes a long way.

According to the spec sheet that I found here
http://www.state-elec.com/Leviton/51120ptc.pdf

"CATV/Satellite protection is provided by Leviton’s Cat. No. 5350-SAT internally fused plug-in module. To replace this module, remove low voltage cover secured with two screws. Simply unplug existing 5350-SAT module and plug in replacement module. Replace cover and screws."

Google search shows prices for 5350-SAT from $5 to +$30.

You can get one on ebay for $10 plus shipping, item#390163892325

You could also remove the module and replace it with a barrel coax surge suppressor that will fit in the enclosure.

It's really sad that a manufacturer can't even support their own product properly, especially when he customer is asking to purchase something.

Back