Leviton says max 30-35 devices for reliable ViziaRF Z-Wave network.

Thanks Tink. (You know it's your d**n fault I'm spending all this money because of your house before you went to HAI :p ) That was a very helpful explanation of what is going on with zwave. I'm not controlling my zwave lights yet, but was planning on using the Elk rules for some basic commands beyond the inwall controllers Leviton sells. Does HAI's zwave diagnostics work outside of an HAI-based system? I was planning on getting Control Think, but if your stuff works better I'd get that instead! (And I realize you are biased, but would like to hear your opinion of the options.)

So from the end user perspective, is the following true?

- Z-wave is well implemented in HomeSeer. That's the good news.
Well thanks, I hope so. But it has taken a long time to get this far and we made plenty of mistakes along the way. The difficulty these days is that Zensys is always making improvements, and so it is a constantly moving target trying to make the software support the new, the old, and the really old because we have users with all of it.

- Z-wave may not have the "advanced - for lack of a better word" implementation in other software systems. This would seem to be a disadvantage to the end users. Is z-wave really *that picky* about things? If so, this would seemingly stunt growth.
I am not familiar with other software systems. The one Leviton referenced by Chris Walker (ControlThink) was very thorough in its day, and may still be, but he went to work for Leviton for a while so I am not sure what the situation is with his software. I do know that we definitely have more years working with it under our belt than others.

Z-Wave is not so much picky as it is doing the best it can with a difficult situation. RF does not guarantee transmission from point A to point B, and so the algorithms designed by Zensys were done so with the knowledge they had at the time of other systems that came before it, and they did a pretty good job. The problem is, they could only develop one system (and even that does not fit easily within the code space on their chips), but one system does not fit every situation. Think about a system with very few nodes, a system with nodes spread far apart, a normal system, a system with a huge number of nodes, and in each case they could have done something different in their design to better accommodate it. When this stuff first came out years ago and we did not have the tools we have today, I shudder to think about somebody having put 100 nodes in a home back then - it would have been a nightmare. So the thing is, they could not design one perfect system, but with the knowledge we now have and the tools we have, we can make it work well. What is clear is that the system "out of the box" as they intended it does not work for the less common situations, but then again, X-10 never did either. Richard Scholl (Worthington) used to point out that anybody who put X-10 in a 10,000 sq ft home was crazy, but despite that it was done sometimes, and the only way it could be done was with the knowledge we gained over the years and by using the right products. This is the same - if you have products that (for example) do not support instant status, so they cause people to poll them often thus generating more traffic, or they do not support the scene class so that causes us to send more signals to control a lot of lights - those are all examples of where spending more money can save you headaches in the long run.

- Z-wave looks to be pretty complicated at the user end, if one wants to really get things "just so". Maintenance also seems to be tricky for the novice. This would be another shortcoming of the technology. Gee, isn't there anything we can just plug in for it work without all of this pain (rhetorical).
It's a very good question, and Rich and I at HomeSeer had high hopes for it being that way with Z-Wave. Consider this though - X-10 would not work at all without a phase coupler, and yet for years, X-10 would tell you "it isn't needed". When Z-Wave came along, it truly was "plug and play" and really still is - it does work for most situations without any playing or maintenance - it really becomes an issue when you make changes, or your system grows into being a "large" one. But if you bought 50 devices and put them in a 3,000 sq ft home, which is what the majority of the market (in the U.S. anyway) probably is, then it is going to work very well every time.

The situation outlined here is interesting, because it sounds closer to that model I just mentioned, so it makes me wonder if Leviton did more things in an attempt to "outsmart" Zensys, and ended up making the situation worse than if they had done a straightforward Z-Wave implementation?

In the end, this really has me more wondering if z-wave is a good technology to invest into.

Well, it depends on what kind of a decision you are facing. Have you committed to automating the home and are deciding between technologies? Have you already automated your home with something that you know does not work and are looking for an alternative? Have you not even decided whether you are going to automate? Depending on which of those situations you are in depends on the answer I would give you, but ultimately the answer is much more complex. What if you are committed to automating, but have a shoestring budget? In that case, good old X-10 and 35+ years of history and knowledge make it a very good consideration. What if you are committed to automating, but absolutely will not use powerline technology? In that case, you have to ask whether you can hardwire or not, and if not, then you have proprietary and expensive RadioRA, proprietary and closed and expensive Zigbee, or proprietary and open and moderately priced Z-Wave to choose from. There are more permutations to this, especially if you include the powerline technologies such as UPB, but the point is that the decision to go with it is not entirely based upon the technology, because everything has its downsides or quirks about it. It is more about your timeframe, your budget, and how much of those two you are willing to trade in for reliability. Given all of those factors, Z-Wave or UPB will usually win, with Z-Wave really edging out because of the wide variety of devices out there. (UPB has several manufacturers, but they are all making much of the same devices - Z-Wave has water sensors, door/window sensors, smoke detectors, wireless keypads and keyfobs, etc.) If you are capable of replacing the wiring, then it is a whole 'nuther story, but Z-Wave does not compete with that. So for most people, I would say it probably is worth the investment, but I cannot say in your case - you have to figure that one out Kemo Sabe.

Thanks Tink. (You know it's your d**n fault I'm spending all this money because of your house before you went to HAI :p )
Not quite sure I understand that bit, but that is another whole story about how my thinking on HAI has changed over the years...

That was a very helpful explanation of what is going on with zwave. I'm not controlling my zwave lights yet, but was planning on using the Elk rules for some basic commands beyond the inwall controllers Leviton sells. Does HAI's zwave diagnostics work outside of an HAI-based system? I was planning on getting Control Think, but if your stuff works better I'd get that instead! (And I realize you are biased, but would like to hear your opinion of the options.)

Well, our "tools" have one that works standalone and one that requires HomeSeer, so if you are not running HomeSeer then ControlThink might be better - just make sure you can do some of those things I described. I think ControlThink might be a good tool set, again not having played with it, but from the standpoint that all it does is Z-Wave, and the author is quite knowledgeable. It is designed with more of a tool mentality whereas we are automation software first - we put the tools in as a need arises, and it sometimes takes longer because we have a whole plethora of other technologies that our software deals with. If you are looking more for the software to run your home, and your home is mostly Z-Wave, then I would probably favor our software because when it comes to those Z-Wave features, we have put a lot into our software for it. Case in point - we (when you use an installer library interface) allow you to back up and restore your network, so if your primary controller ever goes bad, or you want to upgrade it, you can do it easily. Anything that uses a handheld remote as the primary will leave you dead in the water if that remote goes belly up before you replicate to another. We store scenes two different ways in our software, and so if a wall scene/zone controller goes bad, you replace it and then re-program the scene quickly and easily. Other systems do not store the scene once it is programmed, so with a failure, you have to rebuild and reprogram the whole scene. And then there is the whole mixed technology thing - what if you are still using X-10 devices, or want to use a Z-Wave wall scene/zone controller to arm/disarm your security system? Software that only focuses on Z-Wave cannot handle those situations, and this is actually an area of pride I have in the power of our software.

OK, before this becomes an all out sales pitch, I better quit. ;-) Food for thought anyway. Another reason to quit is that my son's early AM soccer game is looming very close - I need to get to bed. G'night all.

Not quite sure I understand that bit, but that is another whole story about how my thinking on HAI has changed over the years...

Sorry...I figured my screen name would clue you in. You were a couple of doors down from me back in GA. I started with all this home automation silliness because of your automated house back in the early 90's. It's pretty impressive to think of all that you had working in that house almost 20 years ago!

Well, our "tools" have one that works standalone and one that requires HomeSeer, so if you are not running HomeSeer then ControlThink might be better - just make sure you can do some of those things I described. I think ControlThink might be a good tool set, again not having played with it, but from the standpoint that all it does is Z-Wave, and the author is quite knowledgeable. It is designed with more of a tool mentality whereas we are automation software first - we put the tools in as a need arises, and it sometimes takes longer because we have a whole plethora of other technologies that our software deals with. If you are looking more for the software to run your home, and your home is mostly Z-Wave, then I would probably favor our software because when it comes to those Z-Wave features, we have put a lot into our software for it. Case in point - we (when you use an installer library interface) allow you to back up and restore your network, so if your primary controller ever goes bad, or you want to upgrade it, you can do it easily. Anything that uses a handheld remote as the primary will leave you dead in the water if that remote goes belly up before you replicate to another. We store scenes two different ways in our software, and so if a wall scene/zone controller goes bad, you replace it and then re-program the scene quickly and easily. Other systems do not store the scene once it is programmed, so with a failure, you have to rebuild and reprogram the whole scene. And then there is the whole mixed technology thing - what if you are still using X-10 devices, or want to use a Z-Wave wall scene/zone controller to arm/disarm your security system? Software that only focuses on Z-Wave cannot handle those situations, and this is actually an area of pride I have in the power of our software.

OK, before this becomes an all out sales pitch, I better quit. ;-) Food for thought anyway. Another reason to quit is that my son's early AM soccer game is looming very close - I need to get to bed. G'night all.

Thanks for the input on the software. I already have CQC (I started HA with a home theater and it's 'grown' from there) and Elk, so I'm not sure what the HAI layer would do in that situation. I think I'll stick with ControlThink then, although had I know I'd be going zwave I might have taken a different path! Thanks for all the great info and I'd say you were pretty upfront as to the pros and cons.

Sorry...I figured my screen name would clue you in. You were a couple of doors down from me back in GA. I started with all this home automation silliness because of your automated house back in the early 90's. It's pretty impressive to think of all that you had working in that house almost 20 years ago!

Wow! No, the screen name wouldn't have done it - Redclay certainly reminds me of GA, but not of you Mr. M.! I hope you and your beautiful wife and kid(s) (I assume plural) are doing well? I was down there last fall and I stopped by the old neighborhood - my how it has changed! Visited with Herman a little bit. We'll have to exchange emails so we can get caught up. You were right about your prediction of the future with the hand sanitizer stuff you worked on - it is pretty much everywhere these days!

HAI took forever to adopt new technologies in yesteryear, because everything for them was in firmware and as such was slow to be changed. They also had this (IMHO) misguided opinion of the client server relationship of a computer talking to their "home automation" panel, which always screwed with people's minds. From the moment I built my new house up here I went with an HAI system, because that old (and I mean OLD) DSC system I had in GA did not talk intelligently with anything. So what has changed? Well, DSC has grown to a huge company, but they still manage to create just security systems, with functionality you can add on a module at a time, and they have a nice interface for 3rd parties to talk to their panels. HAI went a good 10 years with the same serial protocol, about 6 years with a network protocol next to impossible to implement, and only recently came up with a DLL to make things a little bit more attractive for 3rd parties to communicate with their systems. They also made changes so the panel to PC communications is not so screwed up (less polling needed). However, they are still a monolithic system where they want everything connected to their system their way. Any lighting technology they support still has to map to their internal banks of 16 "outputs", thermostats connected to the panels up until this year always had a subset of their thermostats full functionality, and they are only now starting to have software upgradeable firmware. Fast they are not, but they have a huge following of loyal users - find anybody who spent their minimum $500 on a system and I bet they swear by it as being the best thing since sliced bread. I always found the consoles cumbersome to use and their touchscreen interfaces not much better, though they all remove a substantially larger amount of money from your wallet. So, while the products are very good, they are just not for me - I prefer now to have (for example) JUST a security system, because such as what has happened in my case, I have an HAI panel that has "buttons", thermostat support, and lighting support, all of which are no longer used. I don't regret the purchase, but I just would not do it again today.

In the mean time, my X-10 is still working fine and sounds like X-10 is still more reliable than any of the new more expensive technologies.

I, too, find this statement to be silly. I use insteon. Yes, it can be succeptible to interference, but much less so than X-10. I can assure you that insteon will work where X-10 does, and in some cases where X-10 does not. Insteon also has benefits with programming and linking that I would miss if forced to go back to X-10.

Having said that, if my X-10 system were working well and I was happy with it, I would not be in a hurry to change it out.

Actually, I'm STILL with X-10 and have it working well. Yes, it took getting a signal strength meter, trying out three coupler/repeaters before finding one that worked, installing a bunch of signal blocks, but I do have it working well.

I wanted to change to one of the 'big three' technologies, but after reading problems about ALL of them over the years, decided not to invest the money to switch just yet.

The main problem with X10 is the protocol was defined back when the AC powerline environment was relatively benign. Logic "1" is sent as a burst of 120KHz, and logic "0" as no signal at all. Our homes are now populated with all sorts of electronic devices that pollute the powerline with switching noise. Some of this is in the 120KHz frequency range, and can pass through the input filters on X10 modules. If strong enough, that makes it impossible for those modules to reliably decode logic 0's.

Leviton recognized this problem years ago, and incorporated AGC into most of their X10 compatible devices. They have worked very well here for over 6 years now. I only had a problem on one circuit, and that was traced to an extremely noisy Lumoform 120V 4W LED bulb that radiated its noise almost exactly at 120KHz.

X10 has apparently also recognized the problem, and has incorporated AGC into some of their newer modules. Unfortunately, that doesn't help the huge installed base out there, but it does mean that newer installations that incorporate modules and wall switches with AGC can work reliably even in today's more hostile powerline environment.

Jeff

Actually, I'm STILL with X-10 and have it working well. Yes, it took getting a signal strength meter, trying out three coupler/repeaters before finding one that worked, installing a bunch of signal blocks, but I do have it working well.
I also have a full sized X10 setup. And it works fine.

Years ago... I played golf. Every spring new "improved" equipment and training aids would hit the market place. No matter what promises of improvement was made by the manufactures... I never noticed real improvements in my golf game as a result of using a new golf technology product. What did improve my golf game was rock solid basic practice.

Good solid planning and engineering helps make my X10 setup reliable as well.

I have been using X-10 for over 25 years, in each of my last 5 houses. Some of the more recent X-10 stuff is more reliable than the older X-10 stuff. But I have had time to learn about the quirks, and find the right equipment in order to get the reliability up. I have been waiting and watching for the newer technology (UPB, Insteon, and Z-wave) to get less expensive and more reliable, but it's just not there yet, at least not to my satisfaction. I can't see spending a few thousand dollars to "upgrade" to something that has problems, where my X-10 has so very few problems.

Why is it that X-10 is still selling today but it was introduced to the market 7 years before VHS tapes? (Does anyone remember VHS?) Could it be that X-10 is still functional and can be purchased at a very reasonable price?.....at a price worth taking a chance on?......

Having said that, if my X-10 system were working well and I was happy with it, I would not be in a hurry to change it out.

Yes, for me it was a lack of two-way communication that got me to switch. Going two-way with X-10 was just asking for trouble/unreliability, so I desperately wanted something that would work with bi-directional communication. For example, the kids are a great source of new ideas for automating the house given their pension for abusing resources by leaving lights on... One of my kids likes to turn on every light from point A to point B, and then when he is done he leaves half of them on. With two-way technology, I can in places control this. When somebody turns on the light over the stairway, I have HomeSeer wait 30 seconds or so, then it dims the light down to 30% as a warning that they are about to be turned off, and then 10 seconds later they are turned off. I suppose when I am older and in worse shape I will have to increase those times, but right now nobody takes more than 8-10 seconds to climb the stairs. So now the stairway light (and some other places where I implemented similar measures) are never left on all the time.

I wanted to change to one of the 'big three' technologies, but after reading problems about ALL of them over the years, decided not to invest the money to switch just yet.

The thing about X-10 though is that it still has many of the same problems that it had when it first came out 30+ years ago! The knowledge gained is what led you to purchasing a signal strength meter, blocks, etc. to make it work well, and that is what has happened with Z-Wave. After all of these years, we now apply the knowledge we gained to make it work. If everybody avoided it though because they wanted to wait until it was perfected, then we would still be in the early experimental stages with it.

Interestingly though is the fact that Zensys keeps coming out with new versions of the library. While maintaining backward compatibility, new features and new technologies to make everything work better are added all the time. The downside is that to get all of those new technologies, you would have to use all new devices - nobody wants to rip out their 1-2 year-old devices to get all the new stuff. So the other good part is that the new devices/libraries ARE backward compatible, but it would be interesting to use all new products of a particular Zensys library just to see how far they have come. With X-10, that never happened. Leviton's Extended Data and Preset Dim commands were not new technologies, new radios, new data rates or anything like that. The only thing that I would consider a "version" change that maintained backward compatibility was Leviton's AGC, so that's one leap forward in 30+ years - I definitely prefer the effort put into Z-Wave over 7 years than what was put into X-10 over its entire lifetime.

I have been using X-10 for over 25 years, in each of my last 5 houses. Some of the more recent X-10 stuff is more reliable than the older X-10 stuff. But I have had time to learn about the quirks, and find the right equipment in order to get the reliability up. I have been waiting and watching for the newer technology (UPB, Insteon, and Z-wave) to get less expensive and more reliable, but it's just not there yet, at least not to my satisfaction. I can't see spending a few thousand dollars to "upgrade" to something that has problems, where my X-10 has so very few problems.

Why is it that X-10 is still selling today but it was introduced to the market 7 years before VHS tapes? (Does anyone remember VHS?) Could it be that X-10 is still functional and can be purchased at a very reasonable price?.....at a price worth taking a chance on?......

Your statement about not upgrading, for you, is entirely correct - if it works and you are happy with it, you should not be looking for another technology. However, as I wrote earlier, I needed (craved) two-way communication, and I certainly did desire the ability to query a device to find out if it was on or off. These were reasons for me to look for another technology.

But another thing you wrote is entirely wrong - you said "my X-10 has so very few problems". It is not that it never had problems, it is that over time, you eliminated them all. You either learned something that helped (put a block or filter on some devices) or you changed from an X-10 switch to a Leviton X-10 switch. So how can you say that the new technologies have too many problems for you if in reality, X-10 still has all of the problems that it has always had?

Case in point - I had a switch in my house in Atlanta that for some strange reason, would never last that long. One of the original X-10 pushbutton switches. At one point, I replaced the switch with a Leviton switch (probably an original 6383) and never had another problem up through the time I sold the house. With Z-Wave, I had several of the very first switches that ACT ever produced for Z-Wave, and they were built using a reference design that Zensys provided. The reference design had a power supply design flaw that would cause the radio in the device to stop working sometimes during a storm when there were microscopic fluctuations in the power in the house. Every time it thunderstormed, I would have to go down to the basement and kill the power on some circuits, count to 30, then turn it back on to reset some of those original ACT switches. After about 3 years, I managed to get the last of those original switches out of the house - some replaced with newer ACT switches, some replaced with Cooper-Wiring switches, and I even have some Leviton Z-Wave switches. Z-Wave is going through the exact same evolutionary phases as X-10 did, except that my X-10 switches in the house in Atlanta were based upon TWENTY year-old X-10 technology and the Z-Wave issue was found after about a year. So my example shows that the technology advancements and corrections are taking place in Z-Wave several magnitudes faster than that of X-10.

So I surmise that if you think the technology is "not ready" that you may be wrong, that after 7 years of development, Z-Wave is more than up to the demands. UPB has been out almost as long as Z-Wave and is likely to be just as far along, but since it is powerline based, perhaps somebody "in the know" can comment on whether it is nearly without its issues or not; remember that my stance is that anything powerline based is inherently unreliable.

Z-Wave is going through the exact same evolutionary phases as X-10 did, except that my X-10 switches in the house in Atlanta were based upon TWENTY year-old X-10 technology and the Z-Wave issue was found after about a year. So my example shows that the technology advancements and corrections are taking place in Z-Wave several magnitudes faster than that of X-10.
One thing you overlook is the fact that the X10 protocol was developed years before computers became a household item. It was at least a decade before the powerline environment started to become hostile to X10 devices. CFLs and switching power supplies have really only become widespread over the last decade. I used X10 for years without ever needing a filter. All we needed to add was a .1uF capacitor across a 240V breaker.

The home powerline environment is so hostile today that problems are quickly identified.

Jeff

Yes, for me it was a lack of two-way communication that got me to switch. Going two-way with X-10 was just asking for trouble/unreliability, so I desperately wanted something that would work with bi-directional communication.

I guess this thread is sufficiently hijacked that one more comment isn't going to hurt. I think there are a lot of reasons, beyond reliability, to try different protocols. You bring up one. Quality and types of devices would be another. Expandibility. Programming flexibility. While I still maintain insteon is generally more reliable communication than X-10, it is not the primary reason that I switched. I just liked the devices better. I liked the toggle switches. I liked the feel. I like the different way that they are programmed. Though I never reached this limit, I understand that X-10 can loose some level of reliability as your number of devices increase. Another HUGE (in my mind) benefit of insteon is that it plays well with X-10. It is an easy transition. You do not have to rip X-10 out to convert to insteon. In fact, I still use some X-10 devices.

One of my kids likes to turn on every light from point A to point B, and then when he is done he leaves half of them on. With two-way technology, I can in places control this. When somebody turns on the light over the stairway, I have HomeSeer wait 30 seconds or so, then it dims the light down to 30% as a warning that they are about to be turned off, and then 10 seconds later they are turned off.

In all fairness, I think I could do that with X-10 as well.

I have been waiting and watching for the newer technology (UPB, Insteon, and Z-wave) to get less expensive and more reliable, but it's just not there yet, at least not to my satisfaction.

I don't know what level of reliability you are looking for, but you appear to me to be placing a higher standard for the newer systems than for X-10. I have not used UPB or ZWave, but insteon is more reliable (communication) than X-10 by my experience. Yes, some of the X-10 devices are downright inexpensive, but I would argue that the look and feel of insteon devices are superior and X-10 devices with the same quality are equally expensive. But then, I may be less price sensitive than you. If my budget were more limited, I would probably still be on X-10.

I agree with many of the posts here. It is not that X-10 is inherently more (or even equally) reliable, it is just that we have learned the tricks to make it work.

Back