Lightning got all my Omnistats

cornutt

A lightning hit last night disabled all three of my Omnistat/2's, two RC-1000s and one RC-2000. The behavior is that they no longer appear to have power: nothing on the displays, no backlight, no response to controls, no date being sent to the OPII, nothing. I verified that all three of the HVAC units are supplying 28V and are basically functional (by jumpering the R and G lines to make the fan run). I did find a spare RC-1000 that I had forgotten about, and connected it to two of the three systems. and everything works with it.

So here's the question. I examined the boards from the thermostats and didn't find any obvious issues -- nothing burned or anything like that. Is there some kind of protection resistor or diode or something on the board that can be replaced? Or are the processors likely fried?

I would be wondering where the second point of ground was to prevent this from happening again and again after fixing everything. Stats should be a completely floating electrical system that shouldn't transmit high voltage, high frequency, electrical shots because they should have no place to go.

However, anything is possible with lightning.

Hope you get it working soon.

So here's the question. I examined the boards from the thermostats and didn't find any obvious issues -- nothing burned or anything like that. Is there some kind of protection resistor or diode or something on the board that can be replaced? Or are the processors likely fried?

I do not know of any one repairing their Omnistats or methodologies.

There was a user here on Cocoontech that wrote about repairing the Omnitouch 5.7 / 3.5 screens a while ago which might be using same or similiar circuits as the Omnistat.

Console Repair (2016)

No controller data

The older generation RC80's work fine (not as pretty) as a substitute for the OmniStat RC1000/2000.

They are mostly priced at $50 or less on Ebay (used ones).

Here tested a Zigbee replacement thermostat a few months ago; el cheapo which worked and is still working fine.

Centralite 3156105 Zigbee thermostat.

There are a few Cocoontech OmniPro panel users using Zigbee thermostats today.

It is not as fast as the serially connected Omnistat. Personally a thermostat is a thermostat is a thermostat.

I never touch it and it works fine.

I did the testing in case I would have to remove or replace my Omnistat thermostat.

I have always had a Zigbee ZIM connected to the OP2 panel here. Well an a VRCOP.

HAI Zigbee Thermostat

You will have to purchase a Zigbee ZIM module for your panel if you do not have one.

Last edited:
I had same thing happen to mine in 2014. Was able to send them to HAI/Levition for repair but never found out what was wrong. I know that doesn't help you but curious what you ended up doing? My RC-2000 is acting up. Seems to be working but now relay clicks several times in a row when it passes through setpoint.

I really like being able to see everything in my Myro:Home app on my phone so wanting to find a new thermostat solution that is compatible with the OmniPro2.

Back